The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ensoniq DP4 Multi-Effects Processors (HW)
Old 20th March 2003
Lives for gear

Ensoniq DP4

e-cue made a refrence to one in the Digital Performer thread, and it got me thinking..

I havent used one in like 6 years, but I recall loving them.. anyone still using em? Why? Why Not?
Old 21st March 2003
Lives for gear

The DP4 + is the way to go. Much less noisey than the DP4 unit. Actually, I haven't used one in a while, mainly because I don't work anywhere that has one in the rack. Damn shame, cause I sure do miss the Crystal Tines and LS Studio GTR settings.
Old 21st March 2003
I am still using mine also(DP4+ and its still noisy).

I wish Ensoniq would release the "innards" of this thing.

I had Jim Williams of Audio Upgrades try but Ensoniq will just not budge.grudge

Bastards!!!

The thing has been discontinued for years and they still won't budge.
Old 22nd March 2003
Lives for gear
Jeez, I still love mine! bought it new in 91', I wish they had made it with digital I/o!
I'd like to get the plus one though, for the balanced i/o
peace
daniel
Old 22nd March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor

I had Jim Williams of Audio Upgrades try but Ensoniq will just not budge.grudge

What is this upgrade ????

never heard

I have DP4, I love it. A little noisy but nice, and easy to use.

I thought the difference with both units were only some more algorythms ???

malice
Old 22nd March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by FOURTHTUNZ
Jeez, I still love mine! bought it new in 91', I wish they had made it with digital I/o!
I'd like to get the plus one though, for the balanced i/o
peace
daniel
The Ensoniq DP 2 had a digital i/o and balanced analog I/O.
Old 23rd March 2003
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg II.
The Ensoniq DP 2 had a digital i/o and balanced analog I/O.
Yeah, but wasn't the digital i/o an option? I can't remember but I've been looking at those too
peace
daniel
Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but there's a guy (not me or anyone I know) on Harmony Central selling a DP4 for $275.00, which is about half of what I usually see them going for...
Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear

I have seen about 4 or 5 DP4s go for around 300 on ebay in the last month.
Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear

So how does a DP2 compare to a DP4(+)? A shop near me has one on the shelf. Is it 1/2 a DP4 (just two engines rather than 4) or is it a totally different effects unit.

Thanks.
Old 4th April 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by XHipHop
So how does a DP2 compare to a DP4(+)? A shop near me has one on the shelf. Is it 1/2 a DP4 (just two engines rather than 4) or is it a totally different effects unit.

Thanks.
Totally different.

Better guts, half the "magic".

Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Totally different.

Brilliantly put.
Old 6th April 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
Totally different.

What exactly are the "magic" of the DP/4+ ?

Amund
Old 6th April 2003
Lives for gear

Well, for one, a DP4 is he eaisest way to get that "corprate" guitar sound ( think any Dann Huff tone, or TOTO ) I have found ( after the amp, I am not praising the overdrive in the unit.) and the time based effects in that unit rock. It just sounded right without too much tweaking.
Old 6th April 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
Well, for one, a DP4 is he eaisest way to get that "corprate" guitar sound ( think any Dann Huff tone, or TOTO ) I have found ( after the amp, I am not praising the overdrive in the unit.) and the time based effects in that unit rock. It just sounded right without too much tweaking.
I actually prefer the Korg A1 for that guitar sound(and a bunch of others).

The DP4+ is great for time based effects.
Old 6th April 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
Cool, I may have to fire mine up and explore a little,as the KSP8 came in just a few days after I bought the Dp/4+, I never really gave it a chance......
I was thinking about selling it, to get the remote for the KSP........Hm

Amund
Old 6th April 2003
Lives for gear

FWIW, some of the DSP4 algos have been and are still being ported over to Paris, as the DSP chips are the same.

I've always really liked the sound of the DDLs and chorus in Paris. Ensoniq made some cool sounding stuff, and amazingly, Paris never seems to break, unlike the Ensoniq keyboards.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

I've got an Ensoniq ASRX sampler/sequencer which has many cool time based effects, does anyone know if these are similar to the ones on the DP4?
I've seen a second hand DP4 in a shop and was thinking of trying it but not if it's more of the same.

Peace
Old 6th April 2011
Lives for gear

I've had a DP/4 for ages and never used it apart from flipping through the presets and saying aha. Yesterday I got the yearly urge to reconnect my equipment and after browsing the web for a 90s lo-fi digital hardware compressor (yes, I'm buttered that way) I realized that I actually got four of them in the DP/4. After hard wiring it up to a drum machine and creating own chains of effects - I can only say wow.

It's so wonderfully inspiring to create chains of processors, in any order you like. My drum squasher yesterday was built up by the chain compressor-compressor-vcf distortion-compressor.

This thread mention noise, and oh my yes. After living in the digital domain for so long, you sure hear it, especially when using dynamic tools. Maybe I'm high on finding out the coolness of the DP/4 - but I don't mind the noise actually. It's not that much it takes over and it gives a bit of a dirty feeling to it.
Old 6th April 2011
Lives for gear

Both an ASR 10 Rack and a DP-4 here. I still use them for FX often.

Amp Sims/Distortion/Phaser/Wood Room/Plate .. Lots of Cool Tricks in there which makes them 12 Trick Ponies to me. The ADDA also has a unique sound ..
Old 6th April 2011
Lives for gear
Haven't used my Paris system or my dp-4 lately but I still love my ZR_76!
Now you guys have me wanting to put my dp-4 back in my rack!
I moved and haven't wired it in yet!
Peace
Old 3rd July 2011
Lives for gear

I just picked up a DP/4 today...., and I gotta say it's pretty ****ing rad. I also snagged a PCM41 a week or two ago.........., notice the pattern? FWIW, I don't think the noise is all that bad. I just had to say something, and I figured this was better than starting a new thread.
Old 10th April 2012
Here for the gear

Has anybody modded these units for digital I/O?
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

I think the converters contribute significantly in the grainy/mojo tone of the box. I don't think a digital input would "add" anything valuable to the thing...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search