The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EAR 822Q Equalisers (HW)
Old 24th May 2005
Gear Nut

EAR 822Q

Can anyone give me some opinions on these?

On vox in particular, but would also like to know their applicability to acoustic guitar...

New they are about $3000, does anything poo on them at this price bracket?

Lemme know whatcha fink...

Ta
Old 24th May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrShann
Can anyone give me some opinions on these?

On vox in particular, but would also like to know their applicability to acoustic guitar...

New they are about $3000, does anything poo on them at this price bracket?

Lemme know whatcha fink...

Ta

For $3K on a vocal i would apt for a used Manley MP EQ.
Old 24th May 2005
Gear Nut

I have the MP (at least I have one on the way over the pond as I write). Also have the GML 8200 in the EQ department, so with it and the MP would the EAR be duplication / redundant?
Old 24th May 2005
Quote:
I have the MP (at least I have one on the way over the pond as I write). Also have the GML 8200 in the EQ department, so with it and the MP would the EAR be duplication / redundant?

EAR is his own Pultec "like" remake.

Which means it has the vibe minus the coloration.

I am pretty sure you can use it on a vocal, but in my opinion with the toys you have, the right compressor when mixing the lead will go a longer way.

For acoustic i like the Millenia Media NSEQ-2 EQ.

Also the Neve VR curves can work nicely.

And one more once in a while the SSL Black EQ.

I have a feeling the Great River EQ would be killer also and hopefully next month when i buy one i can test it for sure.
Old 24th May 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks Thrill.
Old 24th May 2005
Quote:
Thanks Thrill.
thumbsup
Old 24th May 2005
Lives for gear

Hmmmnnn...... a "pair" for stereo...... yummy.

I'm tempted but poor. Want to split them?

Dave Gilmour has several which counts as some kind of recommendation.
Old 24th May 2005
Lives for gear

The GML 8200 and EAR 822 are probably my favourite equalisers in the world, and I would expect them to complement each other very well indeed.

The EAR is extremely "well behaved" IMO, i.e. predictable and mild-mannered. Although I've only used them in 2-track situations, I would expect the EAR to work very well on acoustic guitar as it's free from obvious artefacts, yet has a *slight* touch of "silk" to it (which will obviously be a good thing if you're recording digitally).

I really can't see you being disappointed with the 822 - it's the kind of unit you'll hang onto for a long time I reckon.

Justin
Old 24th May 2005
member no 666

I guess I'm going to be the dissenting comment here... I think the D.W. Fearn smokes the 822... eats it for breakfast, ****s it out before lunch... it's also many ducats more expensive than the EAR but hey, are we looking for "greatness" or are we looking for "economy".

The Fearn sounds deeper and more opulent to me, but still VERY Pultec-esque... while it has a wider range of function. To me it's about the best equalizer in the 'Pultec-esque' realm I've ever experienced... ever.

As always... YMMV.

Peace.
Old 24th May 2005
Gear Maniac

I was going to bid on that ebay pair as well...they ended up going for £2050 / $3750

Vari-Mu
Old 19th March 2019
Gear Nut

Ear 822q

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
For $3K on a vocal i would apt for a used Manley MP EQ.
I would take the Ear 822q over any Manley piece anyday of the week.We have 2 of them and use them for vocals and drums all day long while Manley is a toy compared to EAR and the EAR 660 compressor is stunning sounding.I noticed that the engineers of Pink Floyd's "Echoes" used EQ made by Esosteric Audio Research and who could blame them.Tim de Paravicini is no newcomer to the audio world while he's been doing this all of his life with a rock solid engineering degree.

http://www.ear-yoshino.com/

Last edited by tdb3; 19th March 2019 at 07:49 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search