The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tube-Tech CL 1B Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 25th October 2008
Gear Head

Tube-Tech CL 1B

What's up fam, I just done a lil upgrade to my front end and while tracking some
stuff, I asked my long time engineer what would be a good compressor to track
rap with? he recommended the (tube-tech cl1b) And said it sounded sweet so I
did a price check and saw I could buy (two distressor's) for the price of one. what's
the deal here is the big blue worth the dough????
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

I prefer a CL1B over a distrassor for vocals but the EL is more versatile (works great on most things)
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

The CL-1B is the compressor.
Sonically, it has tons of personality without sucking the life out of the material.
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
The CL-1B is the compressor.
Sonically, it has tons of personality without sucking the life out of the material.
I sold mine a while back , but have started to regret it. I stumbled across some old vocal takes in a songfile and heard it in a new light. It really IS smooth. When I sold it the reason was it sounded too "dull"... but I hear now that it thickens the signal in a cool way.

I may very well have to buy it a second time.

I stand before you a humbled gearslut.... did anything like this happen to you guys?

Thomas
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

4x CL1B's and counting here. For vocals, nothing else does what it does. I'm not saying that makes it the only vocal comp. But it is one of a small number of compressors that are "must haves" to me.

LA2 does it's thing.
1176 does it's thing.
CL1B does it's thing.

All different, but all equally great. That's rare company. Personally, for cutting vocals, I would take a CL1B over a Distressor every time. It is a fantastic vocal compressor. Only factor is that the Distressor is more versatile than the CL1B, but it does no one thing as well as any of the 3 compressors I list above do what they do. Jack-of-all-master-of-none describes the Distressor best, IMO.

Now we may have Distressor fans attempt to shoot me down, but I maintain that if they had properly working examples of all three compressors I listed above sitting in their studio, they would use the Distressor about 5% of the time on a vocal. Maybe not even that often.
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

Yup, I can't see past my CL 1As, absolutely superb beasts - easy to maintain too.
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

cl1b knocked me out first time i used one. i hit some pay dirt, i'm buying one, no doubt. destined to become a classic, count on it.
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

It already IS a classic here in Sweden! Known for 20 years as THE vocal compressor. Reduces loads of gain "invisibly". I want one! Most of the cool dudes in town have it. But they don't have the Bricasti :-D
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

The Q. now is for vocals if you would have to pick one....Cl1b or LA2a???...for me ..I still would pick a LA2
Old 25th October 2008
Gear Guru

CL1B

Replace the tubes w/ Mullards or Telefunkens and the thing gets even better.
always generally prefered the Tubetech to the LA2a's.
can get great dynamics control dialed and it keeps its size.
Old 25th October 2008

I'm looking at getting a new compressor too. Have an 1176 and a La2a, looking to replace the La2a. Just had a CL1b and La3a in my room, I personally likes the La3a better for vocals. That's what I'm looking to get I think... The CL1b was really nice and as far as the tube thing goes I liked it better then the La2a but for pure tracking tone the La3a was the ticket. It seemed to have the perfect tone.
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

Really?

So, in English can somebody describe what this "magic box" does to vocals? I hear only great things about it and it looks like its conquering LA2 territory....ohh boy...its that good?
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I'm looking at getting a new compressor too. Have an 1176 and a La2a, looking to replace the La2a. Just had a CL1b and La3a in my room, I personally likes the La3a better for vocals. That's what I'm looking to get I think... The CL1b was really nice and as far as the tube thing goes I liked it better then the La2a but for pure tracking tone the La3a was the ticket. It seemed to have the perfect tone.
I agree from experience with everything you stated.
LA3A is a HIGHLY underrated piece....

I worked with the CL1B for a month recently it was awesome. For Hiphop I'd say go with the Tube Tech.
Old 25th October 2008
Gear Guru

definitely go with the Tube Tech.

i'm personally not a big fan of Distressors on vocals. they work, but there are usually a handful of better options.

and especially for tracking, its hard to beat a CL1B.

get one, slap some Mullards in there, and you will be happy.
Old 25th October 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
So, in English can somebody describe what this "magic box" does to vocals? I hear only great things about it and it looks like its conquering LA2 territory....ohh boy...its that good?
there is no magic box.
its not conquering anything.just some people personally prefer it for some things.
they're just tools.
LA2A's can be useful too
the TT thing is more transparent and imo more flexible [than an LA2a]
with good NOS tubes adds a bit more smoothness, euphonic bit of color.
good for Pop/RB and Hip hop vox IMO.
try one youreslf.
you might dig it

Old 25th October 2008
To be the contrarian around here,even though for some things the CL1B is good an i recommended them for years around here(and change the tubes) i feel that the UA La2a is a better vocal tracking comp for rap than the more transparent CL1B.

The CL1B is probably better for singing vocalists and can be used in the mix.
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

We have 3 CL1Bs here. They add a magic touch.
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
there is no magic box.
its not conquering anything.just some people personally prefer it for some things.
they're just tools.
LA2A's can be useful too
the TT thing is more transparent and imo more flexible [than an LA2a]
with good NOS tubes adds a bit more smoothness, euphonic bit of color.
good for Pop/RB and Hip hop vox IMO.
try one youreslf.
you might dig it

Man again, you need to start writing posts properly. Let the PHP code handle the formatting - dont put the spaces where you put them...its annoying to read. Just separate your thoughts with spaces in between paragraphs and dont press return for every sentence end...let the website do the formatting. I hope I didnt offend you, just trying to help.

Thanks for the input and I completely understand it is a tool. The reason I used "conquering" is because, at least in my mind the LA2A was THE go to compressor for vocals in 90% of the situations. Then I hear about this CL1B being so good that many people are recommending it for vocals and such that I was blown away.

Back to my question which has not been answered; what does it sound like? I am familiar with the UA 176 comp and the LA2a - anything like those? Is it smoother or less noticeble than 176....cause to me there is nothing worst than "hearing" compression.

I might just try it. Another quick question, is it anything like the power core plugin that is supposed to emulate it? Cause I tried that, and was not that impressed...

Now dont even try and jump on me about the whole "its a plugin dumbass"... I KNOW! I am just using it as a referance!

Last edited by [email protected]; 25th October 2008 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

NOS Mullards in Mine
Will Never Sell it
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear

So, which NOS Mullards are recommended these days, and from where do I get them?
I never got to the tube swapping part...
Old 25th October 2008
Lives for gear
Rookie of the Year

I have been an extremely proud owner of a Tube Tech CL1B for over 5 months now. Facts about the Tech CL1B: It is thick, it is transparent, it has a character that I describe as Hi-Fi, and owners will have a hard time selling these things!
Old 25th October 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
I KNOW! I am just using it as a referance!
man you need to check your spelling.
I'm typing from the studio on iphone between takes.I'm really slow at it.
Old 25th October 2008
Quote:
Back to my question which has not been answered; what does it sound like? I am familiar with the UA 176 comp and the LA2a - anything like those? Is it smoother or less noticeble than 176....cause to me there is nothing worst than "hearing" compression.

Its clean and smooth. Not a bright & transparent clean, but more like a "light" clean. I've never considered it thick sounding or a comp that makes things spread out.

If you've used a 176 and La2a its on the opposite side of the spectrum. An La3a actually is more colored.

The Manley Elop is "snappy" clean & the Summit TLA-100 to me is a little bit more noticeable. In thinking about it the right words to describe the CL1B is either subduded or subtle warmth.
Old 25th October 2008
AB3
Lives for gear

When you put the right mullards in them, it has a slight thickening quality and a slight euphonic quality. Nothing drastic.

For vocals on tracking - I have preferred the Vintage Design compressor for tone.

Though ideally I would like the combo.

Have not tried the LA3A. I need to get a hold of one to try.

Regards,
AB
Old 26th October 2008
Lives for gear

CL-1B is freeking great, and Consistant!

I have gone from studio to studio, and found amazing LA-2A's and found ones that are total garbage! Nice thing about CL-1B's is the sound is the same unit to unit.

Very smooth on vocals, I run attack and release around 3/4 of the way around the 2 'oclock position. ratio of about 3/1 and usually just a little gain redex, say around max -5 to -7 on tracking.... Mix you can go to taste....
Old 26th October 2008
Lives for gear

Just to throw a monkey wrench into this discussion, for those of you experienced with both units, how does the CL1B compare to the Retro 176 with regards to compression? I know the Retro users love its mojo, but is it also as capable of transparent dynamics control as the CL1B seems to be?
Old 26th October 2008
Gear Guru

Somehow it just works when others or weary.
Old 26th October 2008
Lives for gear
Im being lazy, but where can I find the best mullards to buy for my Tube Tech? And which model should I get?
Old 26th October 2008
AB3
Lives for gear

Check out this thread:
Tubes for CL-1B
I like Mullard CV4003 for the 12au7 tubes. For the 12ax7 tubes, try to find 8137 Mullards. But any CV4004 Mullards should be find for the 12ax7 if you cannot find the older ones marked "M8137."

I like buying from this guy:
KCA NOS Tubes. Audio tubes for guitar amplifiers and audiophile equipment. 12AX7, 6L6GC, 12ay7, el34, el84, Fender amplifier,5AR4, 5U4GB, cv4004, 6SN7, 8417, 7027, gz34, Mullard, EF86, 6ca7, 6bq5, 7025, 12at7

Upscale Audio is suppose to be good. I have also had luck with Tube Depot.

Here is another examples of the M8137 I am talking about for the 12ax7 tubes. This set is on ebay. I do not think they are NOS and I do not know the seller - this is just an example to look at:
2 x M8137 CV4004 12AX7 ECC803S Mullard same Codes 60s - eBay (item 140277020130 end time Oct-30-08 20:06:00 PDT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmain View Post
Im being lazy, but where can I find the best mullards to buy for my Tube Tech? And which model should I get?
Old 26th October 2008
Lives for gear
Yezzir!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search