The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ADAM comparison
Old 21st May 2005
ADAM comparison

Okay first off, this is not be a popular comment but I think the whole "monitors are a very personal decision so try everything out in the word" thing is a bit overblown. I do believe that not all monitors are for everyone but I have mixed on all kinds of speakers and one thing that is always true, if I know the speakers very well I can get away with an okay mix. I want a pair of speakers that help get me from okay to good.

I am not looking for a pair of speakers that sound good I am looking for speakers that are accurate. Speakers in the studio are tools. In my eyes any accurate unhyped pair of speakers should get you get a good mix if you know what you are doing (in fairness I might not know what I am doing I guess... thumbsup )

So I am looking as some ADAM speakers (I know some of you are going to point me towards other speakers, lets not go there for now, today I am interested in the ADAM's thanks!!).

Okay all that said I think I can afford a pair of ADAM P22-A's, P33-A's, S2-A's or maybe I could swing some S2.5-A's (yes I did research here and at other sites thanks... heh ).

As I said I am looking for accurate and I hear that the A series are going to be more accurate. How do all the above stack up? Are the P33-A's still accurate and worth the price? I have heard some people say the P series is in-between something like a HR824 and the A's.

Opinions please??

Thanks everyone.
Old 21st May 2005
Gear Maniac

how big is your control room? that will be the deciding factor. if you've got a small room, the P22-A's or P-33A's will work just great. all adam monitors are very detailed and accurate. i use S3A's but that's because my control room is pretty big and i need good coverage while i'm in the back turning knobs on racked up compressors and such. good luck.
Old 21st May 2005
Thanks man....

Yeah I have a pretty small room, I was thinking the same thing.

I have heard Fletcher say that there is about an octave difference between the numeric numbers so there is an octave more bass on the 22's over the 11's and an octave again between the 22's and the 33's. I do think I would prefer the lower octave just so I know what is there, that was always my probem with NS10's and I have not got the hang of the mix by touch thing.

The P33-A are still pretty tight in the bass department then?
Old 21st May 2005
Gear Maniac

I use the S2As and I couldn't be happier with them -- they tell me everything I need to know during production.....
Old 21st May 2005

I have a pair of P22A's and they rock. I've had a few different mixers in my studio the past few weeks and everybody is digging them. You can hear everything clear and they get loud as hell for the client wow factor
Old 21st May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bear Sound
I use the S2As and I couldn't be happier with them -- they tell me everything I need to know during production.....
Including low end material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo
I have a pair of P22A's and they rock. I've had a few different mixers in my studio the past few weeks and everybody is digging them. You can hear everything clear and they get loud as hell for the client wow factor
So what size is your control room? Using a sub or anything?

Thanks guys.
Old 21st May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs

Have you considered a p11+sub setup at all? Ive heard the p11. Very kewl speaker. Add a sub and youd be set.

Gustav
Yeah I thought about it but something about mixing with a sub is just.. wrong to me? Can't explain it but it has always felt strange. I guess I should get over it and give the idea some consideration.

Not sure what sub to even look into and I am not sure I can get the P11A's and a powerd sub in my price range. I would think I coud get a pair of P33-A's for less than the P11-A's and a sub but someone tell me if I am wrong.
Old 21st May 2005
Lives for gear

is S3A such a stretch? IMO, you should be considering S2.5A or S3A and picking one that works for you best. I have very small room (3.5x2.5x2.55m) and it (S3A) works here for sure.
Old 22nd May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha
is S3A such a stretch? IMO, you should be considering S2.5A or S3A and picking one that works for you best. I have very small room (3.5x2.5x2.55m) and it (S3A) works here for sure.
Well Mercenary sells the S3A for $5300 and the P33-A for $3200, pretty big difference and I don't have that kind of cash right now. No offence to Fletcher but I think I can get a better price than that but still, I think the S3A are going to be out of my price right now.

I have a line on a pair of used S2A's for $2900 (don't ask because I am not tell'n fuuck ) but I am not sure if I should go for the P33-As or the S2A's and maybe a sub down the road. Ths is pretty confusing all in all....

Anyone else have any ideas? (thanks to everyone so far!!)
Old 22nd May 2005
Lives for gear

I dont think dealers are allowed to sell them for less then the asking price. It's kinda weird to do buisness that way but I could not find new adams for less then the price they are anywhere. One place was willing to give you some free stuff if you bought them and that was as close as I could get.

I own the p-33a's and they are a huge improvment over the 20/20bas I came from. The bottom end has much more detail.
Old 22nd May 2005
I'd go wait a little extra and get the S3A or S2.5A (have these myself). Then you'll be happier for many years.
Old 23rd May 2005
Gear Addict

I have a set of 2.5A's in the studio for the weekend, I can tell you that I am very impressed. The S2A's fit my budget a little bit better but I am wondering how different the low end is on them than the 2.5's... unfortunatly there are no S2A's in the city to compare them to at the moment.
Old 23rd May 2005
Gear Maniac

i use the p33a in a small - to medium sized room, and they translate very well and give you very good details on bass , mid und treble action during mixing.
i love them.

the range is from 34 Hz - 35 kHz (according to their site) what i dearly believe, however i never felt the need for a sub, and the bass is excellent and detailed, and fairly enough down, for the kind of music that i do.
http://www.adam-audio.de/studio/nearfield/p33a_data.htm

another very good german company is EMES, which are the strongest competitors to adam and have very good monitors on the same level of quality and which are very popular and common in german broadcasting stations/postproduction studios.
http://www.emes.de/pageseng/products/eblue/bluedef.html

good luck.
Old 23rd May 2005

My control room is about 400 sq ft. No sub. The P22A's have a good amount of bass.
Old 23rd May 2005
There is only one

personally, i would go with whatever S series you could get. S2's being the case. especially over the dappolitto design of the S3/P33. im an S3 owner myself... and i so wish they were stacked accordingly heightwise [like their hifi pencils]. thats just an observation of 4? years of use and familarity with them.

take it with a grain of salt... whatever. i dont like my S3As landscape whatsoever, tho many people do. and i am constantly flipping the sub and lowmid drivers from top to bottom wishing they were stacked vertically. sub/bottom, midbass/middle, art/top.
Old 23rd May 2005
Gear Head

S3A

Hey,
first post here.

I have the S3A since 18 months.
Couldn't be happier. Mixed 3 albums on them.
Grew up on Genelec, NS10, Dynaudio, Quested & Auratone :-)
S3A covers it all & the low mid range is IMO much more detailed than their smaller systems. As always positioning is critical, but they do tend to rock :-)

FYI my control room is 8x6meters

Good hunting.

Datcha
Old 23rd May 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Hiwatt, we can easily get you a pair of S2A's to compare with the S2.5A's, please have your dealer call us tomorrow and we'll set it up.

Andy www.diffusion-audio.com
Old 23rd May 2005
Lives for gear

I'd strongly suggest you listen to the differences between the 2's and 2.5's. I did just that (along with the S3a's) here are my findings: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...light=Dirk+S3a

In short, I liked the 2.5's, but in my studio prefered the S3a's with quite a marge.
The S2a's where not for me, did not like them at all.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 23rd May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB
I'd strongly suggest you listen to the differences between the 2's and 2.5's. I did just that (along with the S3a's) here are my findings: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...light=Dirk+S3a

In short, I liked the 2.5's, but in my studio prefered the S3a's with quite a marge.
The S2a's where not for me, did not like them at all.

Greetings,
Dirk
Hi Dirk

Thanks for the info. I will try to get to your link in a bit but what was wrong with the S2-A's for you?? Were they just missing the lower octave or was it something else?

Funny you would post this because I had just made up my mind to go with a set of S2-A's and deal with the low end issue. If I could not deal with the lows I would pony up and get a sub later if I had to (I still don't like subs for mixing but I can adjust). I have a line on a pair of used S2-A's for $2800, I don't think my budget will let me go much over that and I seriously doubt I can step up to S3-A's any time soon.

I was thinking of getting a pair of P33-A's but I hear people whisper that the P33-A's and the whole P??-A line is hyped in the highs and lows, kind of smiley and that is something I want to say away from. I kind of hear the same thing about the S2.5-A as well. For the record I would imagine the smiley curve on the S2.5-A and the P??-A is still usable and the ADAM's of this type are still way cool but... you know....

Anyway I think the S series is for me but the S3-A is out of my price range right now (unless someone has a line on a pair of used S3-A??).
Old 23rd May 2005

I've worked on the S2A's before, not enough ass on them for my taste. 2.5 or 3's are better.
Old 23rd May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
Hi Dirk

Thanks for the info. I will try to get to your link in a bit but what was wrong with the S2-A's for you?? Were they just missing the lower octave or was it something else?

Funny you would post this because I had just made up my mind to go with a set of S2-A's and deal with the low end issue. If I could not deal with the lows I would pony up and get a sub later if I had to (I still don't like subs for mixing but I can adjust). I have a line on a pair of used S2-A's for $2800, I don't think my budget will let me go much over that and I seriously doubt I can step up to S3-A's any time soon.

I was thinking of getting a pair of P33-A's but I hear people whisper that the P33-A's and the whole P??-A line is hyped in the highs and lows, kind of smiley and that is something I want to say away from. I kind of hear the same thing about the S2.5-A as well. For the record I would imagine the smiley curve on the S2.5-A and the P??-A is still usable and the ADAM's of this type are still way cool but... you know....

Anyway I think the S series is for me but the S3-A is out of my price range right now (unless someone has a line on a pair of used S3-A??).

Well, it definitely wasn't a case of "just missing the bottom octave". I don't know, I put the S3a's up first and then the S2.5a's. I switched between them a couple of times and when I then tried the s2a's it was like eek , what happened there. I really did not like them. As James said, no ass, kinda harsh sounding and definitely not the solid midrange as the other two pairs.

If you are serious about your monitor upgrade, hold on a little longer until you can afford the S3a's... I'd rather stayed with my Mackies then downgrade to S2a's.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 23rd May 2005

Last AES we were listening to all the monitors and it seemed to me that the imaging was huge on the S3A's but the 2.5's had a better low end. While we were in there Rupert Neve came in and did a demo with us and he thought the same and ordered a pair of 2.5's on the spot from Dave Bryce.
Old 23rd May 2005
Lives for gear

I found the lowend on the S2.5a's more comparable to my HR824's: when you crank it, it distorts a little and can really get wide and fill up a room. The S3a's really stay very tight and this makes it a lot easier to crank up the volume and make eq and balance decisions in the lowend. I did some mixing focussing mainly on the lowend and this is really where the 3's outshined the 2.5's translation wise...
But that's to my ears in my room.

However, if you want to impress clients, the 2.5 can work a little better than the 3's.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 23rd May 2005
Lives for gear

OK, here´s my take on that topic.

I´ve worked on S3A in two different studios since 2001, recorded and mixed maybe some 12 - 15 albums on those...and I still don´t like them. That doesn´t mean that they aren´t good speakers but I just would not prefer to work on them.

They show reverb tails pretty clear - more than any other speaker I know (mind you everybody else will hear LESS reverb) and the very top and bottom end does not feel accurate to me. At times I´m still guessing a bit.

So in my opinion some $5000 for S3A is A LOT of money, I don´t think they´re worth that much money (they cost around 3600,- EUR/pair incl. tax in Germany). The S2.5A might be better because it has a larger woofer, here the bang-for-the-buck seems to be better, as well.

Just had to let you know that not EVERYBODY loves those S3A...
Old 23rd May 2005
Lives for gear

All I'm saying is, try them out for yourself...

Nothing more personal than monitors.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 23rd May 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, it definitely wasn't a case of "just missing the bottom octave". I don't know, I put the S3a's up first and then the S2.5a's. I switched between them a couple of times and when I then tried the s2a's it was like eek , what happened there. I really did not like them. As James said, no ass, kinda harsh sounding and definitely not the solid midrange as the other two pairs.

If you are serious about your monitor upgrade, hold on a little longer until you can afford the S3a's... I'd rather stayed with my Mackies then downgrade to S2a's.

Greetings,
Dirk
It must be your room then because I don't have that experience at all. There's more than enough low-end, and in comparing the S3s to the 2's, there isn't a radical difference. And there's really no comparison between the ADAMs and the Mackies -- the Mackies don't even come close!

YMMV....
Old 23rd May 2005
Quote:
All I'm saying is, try them out for yourself...

Nothing more personal than monitors.

Greetings,
Dirk
Funny the first thing I say at the top of this thread is....

Quote:
Okay first off, this is not be a popular comment but I think the whole "monitors are a very personal decision so try everything out in the word" thing is a bit overblown. I do believe that not all monitors are for everyone but I have mixed on all kinds of speakers and one thing that is always true, if I know the speakers very well I can get away with an okay mix. I want a pair of speakers that help get me from okay to good.
I think that there is a difference between good speakers and great speakers but in the end they are all just tools to use for an end result, a good mix.

To tobymusic. You say you don't like them and I respect that for sure but how did the mixes translate on other systems. 12 to 15 albums worth of material should give you a good idea of hw these mixes sound on other systems. Have you mixed other CD's on anything else during that same time? If so how do the other CD' stack up against the ones mixed on the S3A's?

To me that is the real test and the only thing that I am interested in. I know other speakers sound better but do others in this price range translate as well?
Old 23rd May 2005
Gear Guru

i like and respect the adams, they are wonderful monitors. but for that flavor of monitor --- tight shallow bottom, wispy bright top, dead-on phase --- i prefer the flagship atc's. their honesty is so brutal, yet so helpful, because you not only hear instantly what is wrong, you know exactly what to do about it. and they're even more focused than the adams, which is saying something. if there's a phase anomoly anywhere in their response, i've yet to hear it.

the odd thing about both the adams and the atc's is that i didn't have to 'learn' them. just make it sound good, and it is good, total portability out of the gate.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 24th May 2005
Quote:
Just read this... so you are saying the S2-A's are not as good as a pair of Mackies then? I guess I find this surprising but I guess I will have to take your word on it because you have used both.
Old 24th May 2005
Lives for gear
S2A did not have enough in the low end for me. The S3A's are a great speaker with nice detail all the way around.
📝 Reply