The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
andreas grosser mods on u87 mv691 Condenser Microphones
Old 21st October 2008
Gear Nut

andreas grosser mods on u87 mv691

Hi you all

Does anybody in here have first hand experience with the mods Andreas Grosser is doing to those microphones?
My experience with his work is, that it is really stellar and he is very knowledgable (He brought an old Hiller pencil mic back to live for me).
But aside from having more headroom and less noise after the modification, which is quite a lot of course, how do those mics sound afterwards?
Is there any way to describe it?
Thanks in advance
Tobias
Old 21st October 2008
Gear Addict

whatever he is doing is great. because he only does great things when it comes to microphones. that man is a genuis
bigos
Saraswati Studios
Old 21st October 2008
Here for the gear

I'm unfamiliar with Grosser's work but I wanted to let you know about the InnerTube mod.

I had Stayne mod an AI for me and of the 50 mics I own, including old classics, that is by far my favorite piece of gear for female vocals. Their breath on the high end tends to make me swoon. The detail is stunning. It's also very sweet on other instruments. I'm far from the only one to sing his praises on this mod. You should check it out before you decide. Last I checked it was around $1500 and because of the way the 87 is designed you can easily switch back and forth between the original and his.
Old 21st October 2008
Gear Nut

Grosser is upgrading the Electronics, it is not as radical as the innertube mod. He puts a different (better) fet in those mics and changes the circuit to provide more headroom and less noise. In the u87 he is changing the frequency response of the circuit, the lowcut is set down to 50 Hz and the hicut is tailored the way the customer wants it.
That's what he told me on the phone.
I, for example, tend to always eq in 2dB of 10 or 12 Khz with our u87ai. So, why not have it there in the first place.
Old 21st October 2008
Mastering Moderator

Give him a ring or send him an e-mail.
Yes his work is stellar thumbsup
Old 21st October 2008
Gear Maniac

He modded two mv691's for me. I was really happy with them. Great work. Huge difference.
Old 21st October 2008
Lives for gear

Or, you could continuously and variably mod any mic with this:

Great River Electronics
Old 22nd October 2008
Gear Addict

thanks
Old 22nd October 2008
Gear Nut

PM sent
Old 7th June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop.sing View Post
Hi you all

Does anybody in here have first hand experience with the mods Andreas Grosser is doing to those microphones?
My experience with his work is, that it is really stellar and he is very knowledgable (He brought an old Hiller pencil mic back to live for me).
But aside from having more headroom and less noise after the modification, which is quite a lot of course, how do those mics sound afterwards?
Is there any way to describe it?
Thanks in advance
Tobias

Well, not too positive a U87 is worth the effort ;-)
But then taste is a many splendered thing...
Anyways, Grosser is certainly the best Neumann guy out there - period.
Dont even consider anybody else.
What this guy doesnt know on U47s and the like is simply not worth knowing (actually I doubt, there is anything he wouldnt know bout these)
My U47 is definetely the best I've heard - after Grosser bigtime taking apart and putting together again.
So are my Gefell 691s, which I can use on drums now /which is impossible with the original, they will distort)
He's currently overhauling my C12 / SM204.
Hilbich in Vienna used to be the No 1 geezer for vintage AKG's, but he's no more in the biz I hear.
So chances are, Grosser will also become worlds most trusted authority on vintage AKG Mics in time...
Love the man. Also really nice bloke.
Old 7th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigos View Post
whatever he is doing is great. because he only does great things when it comes to microphones. that man is a genuis
bigos
Saraswati Studios

+1

He repaired my old U87 (P48) and the sound is incredible!!!
Old 7th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dBMusic View Post
Anyways, Grosser is certainly the best Neumann guy out ther

I disagree.....

I would go with Peter Drefahl or Tony Merill.

Drefahl for all tech issues/repair/mods, and Tony Merill for specifics.(like his u87 mod)//Drefahl is THE MAN.

drefahlaudio microphone repair and reskinning service

thumbsup
Old 7th June 2009
Lives for gear

I can only second what everybody else has said about Andreas Grosser: absolutely stellar work and a really nice person as well. Very fair prices as well, he even refused to charge me for a 'security' check of my KM54 before I sold it.
Old 7th June 2009
Lives for gear

How to contact Andreas Crosser, it seems he has no web site?

Matti
Old 7th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTI View Post
How to contact Andreas Crosser, it seems he has no web site?

Matti
phone is 03303 295 175

e-mail: [email protected]
Old 7th June 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks!

Matti
Old 8th June 2009
Gear Nut

he modded a u87ai for me.
changed the fet and some caps and resistors for more headroom and most importantly a different saturation behavior at high levels. he told me before the mod the ai distorts unpleasently even at lower levels, and this why people call it harsh sounding. after his mod the distortion is mostly even order harmonics, so it saturates nicely like the old u87s.
modding the filters of the mic is additional, i didn't want it, but he offered to do it anytime!
great guy, great work!
Old 8th June 2009
His knowledge is incredible. he focused on Neumann mics (primary) and worked for them for several years.

nice guy.
Old 8th June 2009
Lives for gear

Andreas Grosser is only man who I would trust with vintage mics, he is only and also must say you cannot compare him with anybody other in this bussines -you must compare them with him--because he is only one- also must say he is one of the most helpful and nicest people I have met.
Old 8th June 2009
Lives for gear

Andreas, is the best mic tech around.
each of my mic was under his inspection and he keep doing amazing job.
I own 2x u47 and a u67 that he put back to life and now they are sounding better than they were new and look new as well :-)
he modded my u87ai made it from unusable to a very nice mic (love it on guitar amp)
his mod for mv691 is basically a complete rebuild, it is a whole new mic afterward, much more headroom and very nice tone when pushed hard (drums).
he has so much knowledge and will be straight forward and will say what possible to do with a mic and what not and explain exactly what he does and how in clear technical terms no mambo jambo like some other tech trying to sell you.
Old 9th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wheeler View Post
Good advice? Peter is not a bad tech but can't keep up with Grosser, Heyne or Wagner.
I have my experience and won't go into detail.

I consider the 3 mentioned guys as the best Neumann guys although I never had to do anything with Heyne.

YMMV. I have my own experience that caused me to state what I did....

anyway...use who you like. Drefahl and Merrill are my guys until the end of time.
Old 31st August 2009
Gear Addict

Old thread, I know - but I just wanted to add some love. I've had work done by both Andreas Grosser AND Peter Drefahl - both guys were very nice to deal with and worked some real magic on an old Geffell....
Old 14th December 2009
Lives for gear

Andreas Grosser. Knows his stuff. Better than anyone I ever experienced.

30 years of experience cut and dry!
Old 15th December 2009
Lives for gear

Great to hear Donnx!
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry to warm up again.
But what do Grossers standard 87 mods cost? At least what's the ballpark?
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Really all depends on the work he is doing. You would need to email him and tell him what you want. And he will give you the prices and options. I can tell you that he is the most reasonable mic tech I have met. His pricing is more than fair. Especially, when you know he is one of the best Vintage Neumann techs on the planet. He has worked on two of my matched 1968 U87 mics and 2 vintage KM84s. And the Km84s were not needing any repair. I asked him to look at the KM84s to make sure they were up to spec. His response was they are no need for any repairs. Very honest man. My Neumann's will always go to him. Trust is a big thing for me.

Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Same with me
Old 3rd February 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dBMusic View Post
So chances are, Grosser will also become worlds most trusted authority on vintage AKG Mics in time...
Love the man. Also really nice bloke.
He did wonders to our C12.
The guy is a wizard.
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear Head

Thiersch

Does someone has experience with Thiersch ?

Thiersch Elektroakustik

He schould be an expert in Neumann Gefell I heard.
Old 4th February 2010
Lives for gear

All capsule related work or issues are sent to Thiersch by Andreas Grosser.
If Andreas approves Thiersch, then its good enough for me. You see Andreas knows what his specialty is. Thats electronics, cosmetics, PSUs of the mic and overall inspection of the mic. He sends the capsule work to Thiersch. He has different sources that do other things like make bodies, make transformers, etc. Just send your mic to him and let the man get your mic smoking again.

Then he gets it back from Thiersch, and rechecks again and does capsule tests. DOUBLE QUALITY CONTROL! Doesn't get better than that IMHO.

Wunder uses Thiersch, Flea used Thiersch, Madooma Mics etc, Wagner etc the list goes on. Capsule repair or M7 builds are Thiersch. He's your M7 guy. But he does all capsules. He reskinned my old 68 U87 capsules back to Neumann Standards. Same material, same exact spec but they are freshly new again. Andreas told me I got two choices. But 2 brand new capsules from Neumann or get Thiersch to reskin my mine. (they don't clean capsules) Both are good routes to go. . I chose the reskin.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search