The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
trident 80B or neve 5116?
Old 19th May 2005
Here for the gear

trident 80B or neve 5116?

thinking about buying one or the other... any thoughts from the diehard tonehounds?

assume both are in full working condition, recapped, and offered at a fair market prices and that I dont really care about automation. the questions are:

1) what would fair market values be? and assuming the neve is gonna cost more then the trident, is it worth the extra cash? (we have the money for either, but dont want to fall prey to neve fetishism.)

2) which one will depreciate more slowly? I am assuming neither will actually appreciate, but am I wrong there?

3) which pre's will sound better? (maybe sounds like a dumb question, but since the pre's in the 5116 aren't the classic coveted neves, it seems at least possible that some people may prefer the tridents over the neves)

note that we record pretty much anything: funk bands w/ 7 peice horn sections, jazz trios, zydeco bands, afrobeat and other african ensembles, avant/savant string sections, straight up rock bands, solo singer/songwriter types, classical chinese music, 40 minute gong solos, you name it. well, no grand piano.

that said, our clients' personalities tend towards funky, gutsy and subversive more than pristine, shimmering and nitpicky...

thanks!
Old 19th May 2005
Gear Maniac

I think the EQ in the Trident is more musical.
Old 19th May 2005
member no 666

80 Series Trident... the only thing you'll miss is not being able to point to the "N word"... other than that, IMNTLBFHO, it's a superior tool in every way.

Peace.
Old 20th May 2005
Gear Maniac

i'd agree with the previous posters.

the trident series 80 sounds far nicer IMHO. the EQ on this is really lovely.

the one down side is that everyones heard of neve, not so many have heard of trident among the great unwashed
Old 21st May 2005
Here for the gear

how about reliability?

thanks people-

ok, these are both old boards so they're gonna need some repair but I have heard the trident is famously failure prone... more so than the neve?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search