The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Master bus eq: Portico 5033 vs GML 8200? Equalisers (HW)
Old 16th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Master bus eq: Portico 5033 vs GML 8200?

Anyone compared these two side by side?

I am looking for a great eq to put before my Smart C1. Tight in the bass and sweet on the high end. I know that GML is super-tight in the bass but I've read that it is a bit "hard" on top. What about the Portico?

I've already read all the previous posts for these two units, any more info would be great!
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

I haven't directly compared them, but for what I do they both do the same jobs in a similar fashion...intense sculpting without the sound of intense sculpting.

I wouldn't call the top of the GML "hard" at all. If the track has a hard top and you start boosting that hard top, it's gonna sound harder. If your top is sweet and you accent some of that...it get's sweeter!

My main uses for both have been 2mix for shelving on outside bands, and electric guitar amps for interleaving the 3 middle bands. The Portico has a bit more vibe as you hit the input transformer harder and kind of takes the cake for guitar amps. They'll both do the 2mix very well and are some of the only equalizers I've ever liked and used more than once on a 2mix.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

apples and oranges.

while the rnd can be useful for tracking
I found it useless for mixing + mastering.

the 8200 is great for everything -
it can go narrow Q resonance dipping for tracking,
it´s the most "punchy" EQ I´ve ever heard for drums and percussion
+ it´s a godsend for pollishing mixes and masters.

It´s not hard at all - in my ear it´s the most versatile (clean) EQ ever.
The blue 26 k shelving band can actually be sparkling / shimmering in small doses - really depends on the top end structure of your material.
There´s a reason that most major studios have a gml 8200 in their racks.
Old 17th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Never heard the Portico so I cannot compare, I can say that the GML is a great eq for tracking, mixing and mastering...really versatile!On the stereo buss it's super...the bass, yes, are tight, the highs really clear...if hard or sweet? I agree with the others...it depends on the source.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
apples and oranges.

while the rnd can be useful for tracking
I found it useless for mixing + mastering
Mastering is another world from where I stand, but mixing is not. The 5033's has to be one of the best mix eq's I have ever used, and much more musical than the SSL FX series channels I have used a few times. Compared to my 5500, the Portico's are much more pleasing in the upper mids and highs. I would hardly call them useless for 'pro mixing' (or even demo mastering) . The 5033's are great for bringing out the subtle detail of acoustic instruments, percussion, and overall mix treatment. I have never enjoyed a hardware eq so much for mix work, and my UAD plugs do not even compare...way off. I have never tried the GML though.
Old 17th October 2008
Gear Addict

My only reference point is plugins on the masterbuss but I love my new Portico EQ on the master soooo much more ... really clean and doesn't sound processed in a bad way ... I don' t miss EQ plugins at all
Old 18th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Great info!

Unfortunately I can't try the Portico and GML, I just have to buy one... I know that the GML is a standard and it's more expensive but 've also read that Greg Wells sold his GML 8200 and now he is using two 5033's on the master bus. Damn it' so difficult to make a decision!!!

I've already own a 5043 compressor and I really love it's vibe and tone. What the transformers do to the overall tone of my mixes is amazing, I love it! I am planning to use the eq in the master bus the Mike 'Spike' Stent way: 2-3 db's at 80 and at 14000 with very wide q's.

My only concern is the bass tone of the Portico. I know that GML is super tight, what about the 5033?
Old 18th October 2008
Lives for gear

I really love the bottom end on the 5033. I boost at 50hz most of the time for gentle bass hype, works great on kick drums that need some thump. Anywhere between 150-200hz for some knock, and it never sounds boxy. I say all the bands are pretty sweet on this unit, the extreme lows, midrange and hf are my favourites. For mix work, I have been using a couple of db's at 50, and a some hf lift at 16 or at 25khz. It just has an expensive sound about it IMO, especially when used on R&B and mellow stuff in general. Vocals sound great with the 5033. But sometimes the 5500 works better for a dance track, more fast and punchy in response.

ps: I agree with you on the 5043.
Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

5033 vs GML 8200?

Anyone yet? 8200 vs. 5033s?

Thanks
Old 20th April 2009
Gear Nut

I have analyzed and compared the GML 8200 to many Popular EQ's on Spectrafoo. The GML is virtually the Only EQ that has zero phase shift. Even with Extreme settings.
Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch1 View Post

I am planning to use the eq in the master bus the Mike 'Spike' Stent way: 2-3 db's at 80 and at 14000 with very wide q's.
Spike uses an 8200, so do many other famous mix engineers.

The air in the high boost on a GML EQ is not something that you will experience with many other EQ's and for sticking over your whole mix it really does do the icing on the cake thing very well. The Portico on the other hand i personally prefer as a channel EQ rather than for sticking over a whole mix.

Old 20th April 2009
Lives for gear

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback guys. Anyone else want to chime in?

8200 vs the Portico 5033s?

Thanks
Old 12th November 2012
Here for the gear

One of them is $4000 more expensive than the other, not to mention stereo. Whats to compare?
Old 6th February 2013
Here for the gear

Hi! Does anyone know of any plug in emulation plug in for the GML 8200?
Old 6th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiloIm2edgy View Post
Hi! Does anyone know of any plug in emulation plug in for the GML 8200?
Well wouldn't that be George's Masterworks EQ?

Best-
Jonathan
Old 6th February 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Well wouldn't that be George's Masterworks EQ?

Best-
Jonathan
Thanx Jonathan! The Masterworks, are TDM and RTAS only, I work on logic and was looking for something that works on AU. and I guess I should have stated on my question I am looking for something that runs AU for Logic; or an eq that had it's characteristics plug in that would do something similar see the reason for it is a read in a book that on an interview Spike Stent commented he used the GML eq on his bus after the compresor to add some 2 to 3 db on the high end above 12k so he didn't had to use as much high end on his SSL which can be a bit harsh, and have found out on SSLEQ's by ways this tends to be true. Also on another forum I read he also uses a couple of DBs at 8HZ shelving. Do you guy's know of any Plug In Eq that could do such a Job for AU? I was thinking Reinassence EQ from WAVES?
Old 7th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiloIm2edgy View Post
Thanx Jonathan! The Masterworks, are TDM and RTAS only, I work on logic and was looking for something that works on AU. and I guess I should have stated on my question I am looking for something that runs AU for Logic; or an eq that had it's characteristics plug in that would do something similar see the reason for it is a read in a book that on an interview Spike Stent commented he used the GML eq on his bus after the compresor to add some 2 to 3 db on the high end above 12k so he didn't had to use as much high end on his SSL which can be a bit harsh, and have found out on SSLEQ's by ways this tends to be true. Also on another forum I read he also uses a couple of DBs at 8HZ shelving. Do you guy's know of any Plug In Eq that could do such a Job for AU? I was thinking Reinassence EQ from WAVES?
The Ren is fine, and designed with input from our Hutch, or you could try a VST to AU wrapper and use the Steinberg version of the 5033. Other options include the UA stuff, lot's and lot's of other peoples plugs, most are clean or 'too clean'...

Best-
Jonathan
Old 7th February 2013
To my ear the Portico 5033's are pretty euphonic sounding on the mix bus. I would describe them as "delicate" in action, and "robust" in the depth, and tonal department. Kinda soft, and cozy. Love the mid range push you get from them.

And it just seems like that EQ can shape, craft and balance without any harsh artifacts, or grunge. No dirt on these puppies. Look elsewhere for that. Just some soft euphony that I don't think will get in anyones way. If it did, I'd peg you as a picky martha fahker looking at the wrong box, and probably putting it in the wrong place.

The 5033's easily have more tone than the 8200 does, that is CERTAIN. I love using the 8200 all over the place. I would say you can get some clean sh#t happening with the 5033's filter wise, but the 8200 is one of my favorite's for surgical/clean/no phase shift/"am I fuggin using this thing, is it on?"...
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

The 8200 is simply incredible. I only ever owned one 5033 but the 8200 would be my choice. And we have an extensive collection of stereo EQs. Retro, Gml, Bax, mercury, mini massive, API.
Old 5th May 2015
Here for the gear
I have used both RND 5033 and the GML 8200.They are both great EQs on anything,anywhere although i think the 8200 is "more surgical".Its rather sad that i had to let the 8200 go as i need much "simpler" eqs for channel duties.Why i choose the 5033 over the 8200 is bcoz i can get the tone i wanted on the 5033 much easier and faster.Besides i could get more money on the 8200.Would love to buy it again one day tho...
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

if in doubt, have a look at the power supplies.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search