The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yay, I got my Lawson Lmp47
Old 3rd April 2003
Gear Nut

I have been using my L47MP to mic my Vox AC30. I set it out 1' away 30 degrees of axis, with the pattern at 11:00. The sound is buttery smooth and really magnifys that "vintage" tone. I have tried it on acoustic but it's way boomy. I prefer to use KM184 or Octava MC012 for acoustic. It is my main mic for vocals.

Dyno
Old 3rd April 2003
Gear Maniac

As a home recording hobbyist, I really can't afford to have every good mic. I want a U47 style one and have narrowed it down to the Lawson, Soundelux E47, Manley Reference Cardioid, etc.

I wouldn't mind spending the extra bucks on these others but not if they aren't significantly better than the Lawson.
Old 3rd April 2003
Lives for gear

Re: anything

Quote:
Originally posted by chap
I Howsa bout you?
Since I just bought it, naturally I'm using it on everything ! It works nicely on mandolin, hand perc, harmonica and of course female vocals. Sounds fantastic on the 16 year old pop singer I'm working with as well as an operatic soprano. I recorded my 6 year old daughter with it the other day and would have kept the mike just for that. For harmonica and mandolin I prefer my darker U-67. I also prefer a trusty 57 on guitar cabinets, but if I had a better room I'd be setting up the Lawson a few feet back. I

What does the Slam bring to the party that you can't get with a DRS-2 or NV-1?

-R
Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear

LOL

Hey R,
I laughed out loud when I read your post.
You and I are the only 2 wackos who record their daughters with this kind of gear. I actually recorded my 4 year old with a Manley Gold Ref and my wife on the Lawson. Do we have a controllable disease?

I'm getting a matched pair of DPA wide cardiods tomorrow (they used to be B&K) and they sound amazing. I'm promising no more mics for awhile.

The SLAM! is an absolutely unique chunk of gear.
The mic pres are much different than my Vox Box.
I would say friendlier and more open. It reminds me of my Requisite Audio PAL but with better compression. The combination of ELOP and FET compressors as well as having lots of digital options have made this a 'must have' for me. Right now, it's my favorite vocal mic pre and it's also the tail end of my mastering chain. In combination with the Trak2,
it's like having 2 completely different Swiss Army Knives.
I've also used it after the Cranesong Flamingo as a compressor only and had great results on acoustics and overheads. I could prattle on but you get the picture. It's true and friendly if that's possible. Depending on how the compressor is set, it can be very crunchy and....slammed too.
One more thing that's cool for mastering. Unlike a Vari Mu or other stereo comps, the SLAM! can be dual mono, left coupled or center governed which is awesome across the 2 buss. I'll stop now. Maybe I'll wake up my daughter and a/b some converters.
Let's form a 12 step group.
cheers,
chap
Old 4th April 2003
Gear Addict

Chap, which DPA's are you getting? I heard an omni (thanks Ghoost) that was amazing, but I'll be damned if I can remenber the model ####.....

As for the 47... I ended up with the Soundelux... no blue light but I think I'll survive

Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear

this week, the new 4015s (wide cardiod)
next month, the omnis.....stop me, I need help
Old 4th April 2003
Gear Addict

sweeeeet......
Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear

Re: LOL

Quote:
[B]Hey R,
I laughed out loud when I read your post.
You and I are the only 2 wackos who record their daughters with this kind of gear. I actually recorded my 4 year old with a Manley Gold Ref and my wife on the Lawson. Do we have a controllable disease?
I've got a rendition of "Fwinkle, Fwinkle Little Star" (sic) that would break your heart.

No, there is no cure.

-R
Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear

acceptance

ok, I realize I have a problem....now I'll go and pick up my matched pair of DPA 4015s while whistleing Fwinkle......
have a great day,
JC
Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear

Ever notice that Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and the ABC song are the same....
Old 4th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Meriphew
Ever notice that Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and the ABC song are the same....
Not to mention "Bah, Bah Black Sheep".

And did you know the Barney song is actually "This Old Man"?

I used to think the guitar melody from "Third Stone From The Sun" was the Chinese national anthem. I now know it's not, but I still try to convince people that it is.

Here are a couple of good ones:

--What piece of music is being quoted in the middle instrumental section of "The Boxer"?

--What piece of classical music was used to assemble the Rocky and Bullwinkle theme?

Cheers,

Richard Stands
Old 5th April 2003
Gear Addict

Richard,
I' haven't noticed those but how about "Ate a Peanut" = "My Darling Clementine"???

Spookie!!!
Old 5th April 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dynodawg
I have been using my L47MP to mic my Vox AC30. I set it out 1' away 30 degrees of axis, with the pattern at 11:00. The sound is buttery smooth and really magnifys that "vintage" tone. I have tried it on acoustic but it's way boomy. I prefer to use KM184 or Octava MC012 for acoustic. It is my main mic for vocals.

Dyno
Try an Omni pattern close in, no proximity or you could back the microphone up and away from the guitar to reduce the proximity effect or you could move the mic to where it's less boomy on the guitar like near the body to neck joint.

Mark
Old 5th April 2003
Gear Addict

12th fret...
Old 5th April 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: anything

Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman
Since I just bought it, naturally I'm using it on everything ! It works nicely on mandolin, hand perc, harmonica and of course female vocals...

-R
With all due respect, R., and especially considering I'm a huge Lawson fan, I've got to say that hand percussion (especially jangly things like triangles and chimes, as well as any others with super high transients like some claves and shakers) is one of the few things that I found the Lawson DOESN'T handle well. But I doubt any large diaphragm does. At least for my personal taste. (Now the Earthworks QTC's on the other hand...!)
Old 6th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman

Here are a couple of good ones:

--What piece of music is being quoted in the middle instrumental section of "The Boxer"?

--What piece of classical music was used to assemble the Rocky and Bullwinkle theme?

Cheers,

Richard Stands
Don't hold out, Rich...

I'm dying to find out the answers!

Boxer is one of my favorite songs. I've always wondered what that steady rhythmic percussive sound (kind of a "wacka wacka") that comes in on the last verse or thereabouts is... I've tried duplicating it with various things, never completely successfully.

Rocky and Bullwinkle - now THAT was a creative show. Only thing since that is even close is Spongebob Squarepants...
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
Don't hold out, Rich...

I'm dying to find out the answers!

Boxer--the ABC Olympics theme

Rocky n Bullwinkle--the melody of one section of "Peter and the Wolf" combined with the rhythm of another section.

-R
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

Damn! The Olympic theme is obvious now, at least the first four bars... after that, it seems it goes it's own way.

And I do see the strong resemblance to Peter and the Wolf now that you mention it. But it is kind of a melodic variation that maintains the same rhythm as Peter's theme, not really an exact quote after the first two notes. I wonder if the Prokofiev estate got royalties?

Cool of you to spot it!

Now, anyone know what's making that percussive "wacka-wacka" rhythm in the Boxer?
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

Isn't the Olympic theme Copeland? Or do I just wish it was?

chap
Old 7th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Isn't the Olympic theme Copeland? Or do I just wish it was?

chap
It's actually the Chinese national anthem.

No, in truth, you might be thinking of "Fanfare for the Common Man".

-R
Old 22nd May 2003
Lives for gear
"Shootout time vs. Soundelux E47, or anything else in the $2,000 to $3,500 range for a U47 type mic."

A friend of mine and I did this. I prefered the L47MP but they are both very good.
Old 22nd October 2003
Lives for gear

I'm looking to smooth out the high end...

Maybe I should get Gene Lawson to send over his 251. That might smooth out the high end.

Fletcher says the E-47 is great...

I'm also confused by the M-149 pricing- seems like the old ones are really cheap ($2k?) but the new ones are list $5500. Are the old ones worse? I know they have a different power supply.

Also, I hardly ever see the E-47's used. I like to buy stuff used so I can try it out casually in my home over several months then sell it without taking a big loss.

Last edited by Magic Genie; 30th March 2009 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: love
Old 23rd October 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Magic Genie

Also, I hardly ever see the E-47's used. I like to buy stuff used so I can try it out casually in my home over several months then sell it without taking a big loss.
I've seen a couple of them on ebay over the last few months.
Old 23rd October 2003
Lives for gear

About the Soundelux E47 - About what price do they go for used?

Any chance of finding a used one around $2300?
Old 23rd October 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Curious G
Chap, which DPA's are you getting? I heard an omni (thanks Ghoost) that was amazing, but I'll be damned if I can remenber the model ####.....
That would be the DPA 4031 ... i still amazes even me

Looked at Lawson at AES .. miighty tempting. What's really cool is if you get both their 47 & 251 models you can interchange the capsul/body and come out of the deal with 4 mics (I forget the other two they replicate) .. all for $3500 ... Can't beat that for gearslutdom heh They sounded more open / transparent than the Soundeluxe ... to my ears anyway

However, all that said ... I think the next mic on my plate is an AEA R84. Should give my harmonica that lush bottom end while adding a sweet ribbon to the collection. It might even work for some country vocals
Old 23rd October 2003
Lives for gear

DPA's

I have a pair of 4015's which are new. They are
wide cardiod. Simply awesome for overheads, 2nd electric guitar, all acoustic instruments. I was shocked last week when recording a string quartet.
I had 3 sets of mics up: Royer 121's, C-12's and the DPA's. 90% of the time, we chose the DPA combo for openess and depthe of field.
I still love my Lawson too.
I'm in the market for a new mic. Any suggestions?
Old 30th March 2009
Lives for gear

The Lawson sounds amazing through a Martech MSS 10, and I have to sell both now because I can't bring them to the 3rd world Mission.
Old 30th March 2009
Lives for gear

I wouldn't sell 'em Magic, unless you really need the cash. Assuming you are coming back someday, why not put them away in safe storage? They'll sound just as good when you return... (Same goes for the Steinway!)
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear