The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My review of the Focal twin 6 (2008) Studio Monitors
Old 10th October 2008
  #1
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
My review of the Focal twin 6 (2008)

I know, another review well I'll just tell it like it is and you can read if you are interested in these speakers and you can pass on if you are not.

First of all. I've been mixing quite a few records for many majors this year alone and I have more scheduled as I write so changing speakers is not something that can be done easily as you have to "learn" them.
I have a pair of NS-10, a pair of event 20/20 bas, a genelec sub in my studio. I have also mixed in the past few months on a pair of adams s3, adams A7 and genelec. 1031A.
I have been quite happy wth my NS 10 for many years for mixing vocals but mixing the low end has always been a problem, even with a sub.
The event are doing a good all around job but they sound "scoopy" good low end, good highs but no definition in the mediums.
The S3 to me sound plain harsh. I couldn't stand the sound for more then a hour. mixing on them was a real pain and I felt like all these speakers can do good are the Mids. that's all (IMO) the s7 were pretty good all around for the price but I found them to translate some frequencies off what they really are.(yes I'm picky)

The Focals.....
first thing when I open the box I couldn't help but to be amazed at the look and how well built these speakers are. They look like expensive consumer speakers (in a good way) you could use these in your living room and nobody would point them out as studio speakers (try that with a pair of KRK). They look classy elegant and the finish is extremely meticulous. They look like a million bucks!! clients are always complimenting on them which is a rare thing for speakers (normally they don't care).

now the sound.....
when I first plugged them I created a playlist with a mix of classical music and southern hip hop with lot's of 808 to break in the speakers.) after a couple of days of continuous play I tried mixing on them.

first impressions were ok they sound good, great bass response great mids but harsh highs (I said I'll tell it like it is!!!)
I tried to do a mix but the tweeter was just killing my ears. I called Simon at Focal and aside from being very helpful he was very knowledgable about their speakers. He told me the Highs will get smoother with time...."yeah right" I said I heard that before...so I kept on using them producing recording etc...and he was right! after another 2 weeks (yes they do take quite some time to break in and settle) the highs were just perfect.
Working on a mix I tought the tweeter was still a bit harsh...took the mix to my car and guess what? the mix was harsh!! I was so used to compensates high freqs with other monitors that I did the same thing with the Focal the difference is that the Twins will tell you the mix like it is.
To me it's a great thing!!! too much highs in the studio AND on other systems? great they translate perfectly.

The Mids are incredible. these speakers are great for mixing vocals. I found that I don't have to switch between 3 pairs of speakers to mix anymore. I can get the bass, mids and highs from the same monitors. that's a great plus for me.
The bass sound great and punchy. However I found that using a sub was necessary to mix sub freq. in Hip Hop music (808 subsine etc..) which is normal anyways. I only plug in the sub towards the end of the mix to check on the extra low freq. I don't need the sub to mix music with a "normal" amount of low end (Rock/ pop/ etc..)
the speakers do not fatigue my ears I just did 2 mixes in 1 day (from 10 am to 2 am) and I was more tired from hearing my clients whine about their record label then from the speakersheh

I just bought sound anchors monitor stands (again thanks to Simon for the advice). These things are Heavy!!! but they work great with the twins. I might be looking into getting some recoil but it might be overkill (I have mopads now)
in the end these are great speakers, look and sound awsome. It does take a while for them to properly break in but once they do, you will not need any other monitors to check your mixes on.
My NS 10 are now unplugged and my events are only used for clients when producing (If they blow the speakers I won't care).
the twins get a big +1 for me!

here are the focals in the studio (before the Sound anchors)
Old 10th October 2008
  #2
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
ps: I just finished a Mix for universal on them and they loved it not 1 change to make!!!thumbsup
Old 10th October 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Kris's Avatar
Nice review. Now go give away your events in rawbeanzen's thread
Old 10th October 2008
  #4
Gear maniac
 

I sure love mine by twins. Perfect mixes every time.
Old 10th October 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Nice review. Now go give away your events in rawbeanzen's thread
hahah I would but I need them as a safety net you know when producers rent the studio I don't want them to use the focal to monitor their UNMiXED ad peaking 808
Old 10th October 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 
bexarametric's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I know, another review well I'll just tell it like it is and you can read if you are interested in these speakers and you can pass on if you are not.

First of all. I've been mixing quite a few records for many majors this year alone and I have more scheduled as I write so changing speakers is not something that can be done easily as you have to "learn" them.
I have a pair of NS-10, a pair of event 20/20 bas, a genelec sub in my studio. I have also mixed in the past few months on a pair of adams s3, adams A7 and genelec. 1031A.
I have been quite happy wth my NS 10 for many years for mixing vocals but mixing the low end has always been a problem, even with a sub.
The event are doing a good all around job but they sound "scoopy" good low end, good highs but no definition in the mediums.
The S3 to me sound plain harsh. I couldn't stand the sound for more then a hour. mixing on them was a real pain and I felt like all these speakers can do good are the Mids. that's all (IMO) the s7 were pretty good all around for the price but I found them to translate some frequencies off what they really are.(yes I'm picky)

The Focals.....
first thing when I open the box I couldn't help but to be amazed at the look and how well built these speakers are. They look like expensive consumer speakers (in a good way) you could use these in your living room and nobody would point them out as studio speakers (try that with a pair of KRK). They look classy elegant and the finish is extremely meticulous. They look like a million bucks!! clients are always complimenting on them which is a rare thing for speakers (normally they don't care).

now the sound.....
when I first plugged them I created a playlist with a mix of classical music and southern hip hop with lot's of 808 to break in the speakers.) after a couple of days of continuous play I tried mixing on them.

first impressions were ok they sound good, great bass response great mids but harsh highs (I said I'll tell it like it is!!!)
I tried to do a mix but the tweeter was just killing my ears. I called Simon at Focal and aside from being very helpful he was very knowledgable about their speakers. He told me the Highs will get smoother with time...."yeah right" I said I heard that before...so I kept on using them producing recording etc...and he was right! after another 2 weeks (yes they do take quite some time to break in and settle) the highs were just perfect.
Working on a mix I tought the tweeter was still a bit harsh...took the mix to my car and guess what? the mix was harsh!! I was so used to compensates high freqs with other monitors that I did the same thing with the Focal the difference is that the Twins will tell you the mix like it is.
To me it's a great thing!!! too much highs in the studio AND on other systems? great they translate perfectly.

The Mids are incredible. these speakers are great for mixing vocals. I found that I don't have to switch between 3 pairs of speakers to mix anymore. I can get the bass, mids and highs from the same monitors. that's a great plus for me.
The bass sound great and punchy. However I found that using a sub was necessary to mix sub freq. in Hip Hop music (808 subsine etc..) which is normal anyways. I only plug in the sub towards the end of the mix to check on the extra low freq. I don't need the sub to mix music with a "normal" amount of low end (Rock/ pop/ etc..)
the speakers do not fatigue my ears I just did 2 mixes in 1 day (from 10 am to 2 am) and I was more tired from hearing my clients whine about their record label then from the speakersheh

I just bought sound anchors monitor stands (again thanks to Simon for the advice). These things are Heavy!!! but they work great with the twins. I might be looking into getting some recoil but it might be overkill (I have mopads now)
in the end these are great speakers, look and sound awsome. It does take a while for them to properly break in but once they do, you will not need any other monitors to check your mixes on.
My NS 10 are now unplugged and my events are only used for clients when producing (If they blow the speakers I won't care).
the twins get a big +1 for me!

here are the focals in the studio (before the Sound anchors)


I could not have written a better review myself. Your review is exactly how it was for me. The first couple days I thought the tweeter was messed up. But then it settled in and it all made sense. I went through the exact same situations.

Like you, I have unplugged my other monitors and put them up for sale.
Old 10th October 2008
  #7
Lives for gear
 
AMIEL's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I know, another review well I'll just tell it like it is and you can read if you are interested in these speakers and you can pass on if you are not.

First of all. I've been mixing quite a few records for many majors this year alone and I have more scheduled as I write so changing speakers is not something that can be done easily as you have to "learn" them.
I have a pair of NS-10, a pair of event 20/20 bas, a genelec sub in my studio. I have also mixed in the past few months on a pair of adams s3, adams A7 and genelec. 1031A.
I have been quite happy wth my NS 10 for many years for mixing vocals but mixing the low end has always been a problem, even with a sub.
The event are doing a good all around job but they sound "scoopy" good low end, good highs but no definition in the mediums.
The S3 to me sound plain harsh. I couldn't stand the sound for more then a hour. mixing on them was a real pain and I felt like all these speakers can do good are the Mids. that's all (IMO) the s7 were pretty good all around for the price but I found them to translate some frequencies off what they really are.(yes I'm picky)

The Focals.....
first thing when I open the box I couldn't help but to be amazed at the look and how well built these speakers are. They look like expensive consumer speakers (in a good way) you could use these in your living room and nobody would point them out as studio speakers (try that with a pair of KRK). They look classy elegant and the finish is extremely meticulous. They look like a million bucks!! clients are always complimenting on them which is a rare thing for speakers (normally they don't care).

now the sound.....
when I first plugged them I created a playlist with a mix of classical music and southern hip hop with lot's of 808 to break in the speakers.) after a couple of days of continuous play I tried mixing on them.

first impressions were ok they sound good, great bass response great mids but harsh highs (I said I'll tell it like it is!!!)
I tried to do a mix but the tweeter was just killing my ears. I called Simon at Focal and aside from being very helpful he was very knowledgable about their speakers. He told me the Highs will get smoother with time...."yeah right" I said I heard that before...so I kept on using them producing recording etc...and he was right! after another 2 weeks (yes they do take quite some time to break in and settle) the highs were just perfect.
Working on a mix I tought the tweeter was still a bit harsh...took the mix to my car and guess what? the mix was harsh!! I was so used to compensates high freqs with other monitors that I did the same thing with the Focal the difference is that the Twins will tell you the mix like it is.
To me it's a great thing!!! too much highs in the studio AND on other systems? great they translate perfectly.

The Mids are incredible. these speakers are great for mixing vocals. I found that I don't have to switch between 3 pairs of speakers to mix anymore. I can get the bass, mids and highs from the same monitors. that's a great plus for me.
The bass sound great and punchy. However I found that using a sub was necessary to mix sub freq. in Hip Hop music (808 subsine etc..) which is normal anyways. I only plug in the sub towards the end of the mix to check on the extra low freq. I don't need the sub to mix music with a "normal" amount of low end (Rock/ pop/ etc..)
the speakers do not fatigue my ears I just did 2 mixes in 1 day (from 10 am to 2 am) and I was more tired from hearing my clients whine about their record label then from the speakersheh

I just bought sound anchors monitor stands (again thanks to Simon for the advice). These things are Heavy!!! but they work great with the twins. I might be looking into getting some recoil but it might be overkill (I have mopads now)
in the end these are great speakers, look and sound awsome. It does take a while for them to properly break in but once they do, you will not need any other monitors to check your mixes on.
My NS 10 are now unplugged and my events are only used for clients when producing (If they blow the speakers I won't care).
the twins get a big +1 for me!

here are the focals in the studio (before the Sound anchors)

As I told you! you will love the Focals!
Old 10th October 2008
  #8
Lives for gear
 

What music do you recommend breaking in the monitors with?
I mix mostly heavier rock and metal music, but also do acoustic material and some rap, but if I need some other styles of music to break them in when I decide to give em a try I'd just like to know.
Old 10th October 2008
  #9
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman View Post
What music do you recommend breaking in the monitors with?
I mix mostly heavier rock and metal music, but also do acoustic material and some rap, but if I need some other styles of music to break them in when I decide to give em a try I'd just like to know.
In my case I created a playlist with a mix of classical music (for full range) and Hip Hop with LOTS of heavy bass (lil jon beats etc...) the thing is to make the speaker vibrate so give them somethin that will!!! a rock kick is not going to do that. even if you listen or mix rock music I would go get a Classical and a Hip Hop CD and let it run at moderate level for a while.
Old 10th October 2008
  #10
Lives for gear
 
AMIEL's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
In my case I created a playlist with a mix of classical music (for full range) and Hip Hop with LOTS of heavy bass (lil jon beats etc...) the thing is to make the speaker vibrate so give them somethin that will!!! a rock kick is not going to do that. even if you listen or mix rock music I would go get a Classical and a Hip Hop CD and let it run at moderate level for a while.
Yeah , that its fine but really the type of music does not matter r so much as long the speaker moves, its a Mechanical thing.
Some people actually prefer to run music at moderate levels.
Yeah a Hip Hop Kick will move more the speaker but a rock kick will do it ....that is a Hip Hop perception...and maybe your speaker can get Crazy and be upset if you run hip hop on them for so many hours heh !!
Old 7th December 2008
  #11
Gear Head
 

Speaking of breaking in -- how about the lows? Do the lows change once the monitors are broken in?

When I auditioned the Twins I listened to Sting's "1000 years" which has a couple very low sub-bass notes at the beginning. The Twins produced the note very cleanly. However, I now have a new pair at home that aren't handling that note well at all. (I don't think it's my room because my Mackies handled it just fine.)
Old 7th December 2008
  #12
Lives for gear
 
kgdrum_nyc's Avatar
 

for me it took 150 - 200 hours for the twins to break in.
yes the woofers do loosen up as well as the tweeters will smooth out with sufficient play time(I played hiphop,classical,jazz and rock)
these are GREAT Monitors!
KG
Old 7th December 2008
  #13
Gear nut
 
starfightstudio's Avatar
 

:)

Yup, great review, GREAT speakers, I've have had mine for just about a year now, and still in love!!!!!
Old 7th December 2008
  #14
Gear interested
 

Do you guys mess with the eq on the back of the speakers? My last few mixes were translating a little brighter than I expected. Now, I'm trying them with a 3db boot on the high eq. Seems to help a bit. What's your experience?
Old 7th December 2008
  #15
Lives for gear
 
AMIEL's Avatar
well really all depends from the sound of your chain...converters and manily Monitor section...

If your monitor section do not give you accurate top end and is missing some of that you will make your mixes brighter...so if you think ur mixes are a bit brighter you can adjust the contril in the back of the speakers!

which monitor section do you have?
Old 8th December 2008
  #16
Lives for gear
 
scott petito's Avatar
 

I'm Getting mine tomorrow and I'm glad i saw this about Break in Time... looking forward to working with them

cheers
SP
Old 8th December 2008
  #17
Lives for gear
 

I had about the same experience with my twins. Couldn't be happier!

Ed
Old 8th December 2008
  #18
Gear interested
 

Yep. I'll try them with a 3dB Hi boost for awhile and see how things translate. I was mostly curious if anyone else had similar results.

Overall, I love the Twin 6's. They are really easy to listen to for long periods of time. I Just check things periodically on the NS-10s to clean up that murky mid area they bring out so well.

I use the Crane Song Avocet for monitoring. It's really nice, doubt if it's adding anything to the top. In addition to that, I generally sum through a Folcrom and use 1073s for gain. Finish it up with a Chandler Zener for color and compression. The Zener also helps to mellow out that Digi 192 top end.

adam
Old 8th December 2008
  #19
Gear Nut
 
Nantho's Avatar
 

Hi, I'm about to buy the Solo, I hope it will be a great upgrade as for now I work with a pair of Event PS-8 and I'm tired of those units which make my ears bleeding

Is there a huge difference between the Solo and the Twin ?
Old 8th December 2008
  #20
Lives for gear
 
roxxon's Avatar
 

I've never heard of "breaking in" monitors or speakers before.
Could it be that your ears just became accustomed to the tweeter's sound, in time?
Old 8th December 2008
  #21
Lives for gear
 
DJamesGoody's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxon View Post
I've never heard of "breaking in" monitors or speakers before.
Could it be that your ears just became accustomed to the tweeter's sound, in time?
No it really exists. The voice coil loses some tension and speakers do measure substantially different after a period of break in. It's kind of like a new pair of shoes that stretch ever so slightly after a week of wearing them.

My twins definitely measured different after 6 months of use...... especially around 4k and up.
Old 8th December 2008
  #22
Registered User
 
cosmos's Avatar
 

did you try putting them on the console meter bridge without the mopads ?
Old 8th December 2008
  #23
Lives for gear
 
kgdrum_nyc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxon View Post
I've never heard of "breaking in" monitors or speakers before.
Could it be that your ears just became accustomed to the tweeter's sound, in time?
most gear sounds better w/ break in time,not just speakers
Old 8th December 2008
  #24
Lives for gear
 
kgdrum_nyc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantho View Post
Hi, I'm about to buy the Solo, I hope it will be a great upgrade as for now I work with a pair of Event PS-8 and I'm tired of those units which make my ears bleeding

Is there a huge difference between the Solo and the Twin ?
i had the solo's for 6 months and it is a very good speaker but when I switched them out for the twins it was
part of the difference of any monitor is it being room dependent.
placement ,size of the room how far you will be from the monitors etc...
again they are both wonderful monitors the other factors are important to make the correct choice.
Old 8th December 2008
  #25
Lives for gear
 
strewnshank's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantho View Post
Hi, I'm about to buy the Solo, I hope it will be a great upgrade as for now I work with a pair of Event PS-8 and I'm tired of those units which make my ears bleeding

Is there a huge difference between the Solo and the Twin ?
There is a difference, but the Solo's are great as well (thats what I have). I think they are better for my 14x12 room. Good god, there is so much more low-mids in these speakers than in the previous ones I was using! (20/20s) I actually got scared of my low-mids, figuring that it would translate into a really muddy mix, but it doesn't. You will probably love either the solo's or the twins.
Old 9th December 2008
  #26
Lives for gear
Great speakers. Sucks when you get a sour pair though.
Old 10th December 2008
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I tried to do a mix but the tweeter was just killing my ears. I called Simon at Focal and aside from being very helpful he was very knowledgable about their speakers. He told me the Highs will get smoother with time...."yeah right" I said I heard that before...so I kept on using them producing recording etc...and he was right! after another 2 weeks (yes they do take quite some time to break in and settle) the highs were just perfect.
Working on a mix I tought the tweeter was still a bit harsh...took the mix to my car and guess what? the mix was harsh!! I was so used to compensates high freqs with other monitors that I did the same thing with the Focal the difference is that the Twins will tell you the mix like it is.
To me it's a great thing!!! too much highs in the studio AND on other systems? great they translate perfectly.

The Mids are incredible. these speakers are great for mixing vocals. I found that I don't have to switch between 3 pairs of speakers to mix anymore. I can get the bass, mids and highs from the same monitors. that's a great plus for me.
The bass sound great and punchy. However I found that using a sub was necessary to mix sub freq. in Hip Hop music (808 subsine etc..) which is normal anyways. I only plug in the sub towards the end of the mix to check on the extra low freq. I don't need the sub to mix music with a "normal" amount of low end (Rock/ pop/ etc..)
the speakers do not fatigue my ears I just did 2 mixes in 1 day (from 10 am to 2 am) and I was more tired from hearing my clients whine about their record label then from the speakersheh

I just bought sound anchors monitor stands (again thanks to Simon for the advice). These things are Heavy!!! but they work great with the twins. I might be looking into getting some recoil but it might be overkill (I have mopads now)
in the end these are great speakers, look and sound awsome. It does take a while for them to properly break in but once they do, you will not need any other monitors to check your mixes on.
My NS 10 are now unplugged and my events are only used for clients when producing (If they blow the speakers I won't care).
the twins get a big +1 for me!

here are the focals in the studio (before the Sound anchors)
the tweeter was just killing my ears.
2 weeks later....
the speakers do not fatigue my ears ?

that sounds like something its wrong there.

those tweeters are beryllium ,
beryllium does not break in. its a verry hard unmaleable material,
cannot break in.
thats why KRK in expose mixed beryllium with aluminium.
just google or yahoo about it.

break in means to me: bad manufacturing process, computers do not need to break-in, cell phones do not breakin, GPS do not breakin, microwave ovens do not break in, tvs do not break in, mouse do not break in, keyboards do not break in, clocks do not breakin,

some things are mean to last. i remember chair tests in some factory, 100kgs. 1 per second, 24h a day for a week or month.

chairs do not break in.
materials just give up under too much stress.
car breaks do not break in, just wear enought to allow more friction.

some soft dome tweeters do break in becouse are soft.
titanium diaphragm does not break in.
20 year old titanum diaphragm sounds exactly the same today, if the voice coil or the crossover was not overstressed.

by logic its not the tweeter break in, must be your ears producing WAX to protect themselfs, your ears need 2 weeks to make enough wax.
or... maybe also the electronic components, magnets, voice coils, that do not have good thermal tolerance.

anyway....
twin mid drivers sound blurr, you are just having a PLACEBO EFFECT in your brain.

take for example M-Audio EX66, blurr mids. or QSC dual 8inch,

its impossible that two of the same mid range audio sources, will produce a more defined/accurate sound.
not time aligned, not axial aligned,and not horn loaded.

twin mid drivers its just crap. unless one of the woofers has a lower low-pass filter, arround 100Hz upto less than 400Hz.

if you cannot hear it, you are in the wrong bussiness.

also the left and the right woofers are not time aligned when used like in the photo = more phase/time problems.

also inverted dome, "concentric" "parabolic" "concave" does not widen the sweet spot of the highs, the opposite, they focus the highs like a magnifier glass and the sun burning a paper.

if you are not in the perfect spot every time all the time, will not work.
you must screw your head.
thats why satelite dishes are inverted domes.

satelite dishes do not break in.
Old 10th December 2008
  #28
Registered User
 
cosmos's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 View Post
break in means to me: bad manufacturing process, computers do not need to break-in, cell phones do not breakin, GPS do not breakin, microwave ovens do not break in, tvs do not break in, mouse do not break in, keyboards do not break in, clocks do not breakin,

chairs do not break in.
materials just give up under too much stress.
car breaks do not break in, just wear enought to allow more friction.
satelite dishes do not break in.
car engines brake in.
same with motorcycels engines.
engines in general needs time to adjust before running at full throttle.


the Focals brake in.
Old 10th December 2008
  #29
Lives for gear
 
kgdrum_nyc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 View Post

those tweeters are beryllium ,
beryllium does not break in. its a verry hard unmaleable material,
cannot break in.
thats why KRK in expose mixed beryllium with aluminium.
just google or yahoo about it.

break in means to me: bad manufacturing process, computers do not need to break-in, cell phones do not breakin, GPS do not breakin, microwave ovens do not break in, tvs do not break in, mouse do not break in, keyboards do not break in, clocks do not breakin,

some things are mean to last. i remember chair tests in some factory, 100kgs. 1 per second, 24h a day for a week or month.

chairs do not break in.
materials just give up under too much stress.
car breaks do not break in, just wear enought to allow more friction.

some soft dome tweeters do break in becouse are soft.
titanium diaphragm does not break in.
20 year old titanum diaphragm sounds exactly the same today, if the voice coil or the crossover was not overstressed.

by logic its not the tweeter break in, must be your ears producing WAX to protect themselfs, your ears need 2 weeks to make enough wax.
or... maybe also the electronic components, magnets, voice coils, that do not have good thermal tolerance.

anyway....
twin mid drivers sound blurr, you are just having a PLACEBO EFFECT in your brain.

take for example M-Audio EX66, blurr mids. or QSC dual 8inch,

its impossible that two of the same mid range audio sources, will produce a more defined/accurate sound.
not time aligned, not axial aligned,and not horn loaded.

twin mid drivers its just crap. unless one of the woofers has a lower low-pass filter, arround 100Hz upto less than 400Hz.

if you cannot hear it, you are in the wrong bussiness.

also the left and the right woofers are not time aligned when used like in the photo = more phase/time problems.

also inverted dome, "concentric" "parabolic" "concave" does not widen the sweet spot of the highs, the opposite, they focus the highs like a magnifier glass and the sun burning a paper.

if you are not in the perfect spot every time all the time, will not work.
you must screw your head.
thats why satelite dishes are inverted domes.

satelite dishes do not break in.
I don't want to start a Gearslutz pissing contest but breakin is very real.
You wrong on speakers(woofers loosen up ,tweeters mellow )
as well as audio products in general.
I work in a retail outlet(very high end audio)we have speakers,amps cd players dacs, tt's etc... , from 30 or 40 different companies all sorts of price tiers as well as design,I have personally broken in equipment from more manufactures than you can imagine.
If you think I would setup speakers from almost any manufacture with out break in time or with new amps out of the box or unused cables that have not been played and have a client hear on day 1 you are mistaken.
We have Systems that can range in the range of $100k even 3x that price, we are talking state of the art gear with great resolution +design etc....they all require break in time to sound the way they were designed to sound.
I have no doubt if you actually heard the same system on day 1 and then 1 week later you would be amazed!
It is an extremely unusual occurrence that any speaker , amp or cable doesn't sound better after some play time,typically 150-300 hours.

If you heard as much as we do in controlled environments with 10 different set of ears and opinions ,we all agree about the need for Break in time.
Old 10th December 2008
  #30
Lives for gear
 



Needs to be broken in...

Ed
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
TML / High end
59
reflexon / The Good News Channel
13
celulazul / High end
1
Larrysings / So much gear, so little time
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump