The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My review of the Focal twin 6 (2008) Studio Monitors
Old 15th August 2010
  #91
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 View Post
those tweeters are beryllium ,
beryllium does not break in. its a verry hard unmaleable material,
cannot break in.


some soft dome tweeters do break in becouse are soft.
titanium diaphragm does not break in.
20 year old titanum diaphragm sounds exactly the same today, if
The point is suspension ... not the diaphragm! It's no matter berylium, diamond or soft dome - all of them are breaking in (suspension of them).
Old 15th August 2010
  #92
Lives for gear
 
zacheus83's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I am working on a review of the Twins, and am currently burning them in. I will report back soon on my observations, and I will be very honest on pros and cons. Here they are in my studio....
Make sure you don't forget to try them vertical. Based on a recommendation from Simon who stated that if they are close to the back wall they might sound better if stood up. This is how I have them and I love them!
Old 15th August 2010
  #93
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheus83 View Post
Make sure you don't forget to try them vertical. Based on a recommendation from Simon who stated that if they are close to the back wall they might sound better if stood up. This is how I have them and I love them!
Different monitors here but still 3ways, Adam P33
it's true for those as well, close to the wall they sound much better vertical, give it a try
Old 15th August 2010
  #94
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Actually when I changed location, The Focal sound even better vertically in my new studio, the focals along with the ARC and Recoils on Sound anchor is a killer combo!
Old 16th August 2010
  #95
Lives for gear
 
zacheus83's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
Actually when I changed location, The Focal sound even better vertically in my new studio, the focals along with the ARC and Recoils on Sound anchor is a killer combo!
How much of a difference does the ARC system make? I've tried both the ARC and the Ergo, and ended up returning both and investing in bass traps (and upgrading my monitors)... When I used the ARC I was sad that I couldn't adjust the results. Have you gotten real positive results from it?

Which recoils do you use with the twins (7's, 9's??)?
Old 16th August 2010
  #96
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheus83 View Post
How much of a difference does the ARC system make? I've tried both the ARC and the Ergo, and ended up returning both and investing in bass traps (and upgrading my monitors)... When I used the ARC I was sad that I couldn't adjust the results. Have you gotten real positive results from it?

Which recoils do you use with the twins (7's, 9's??)?
I'm getting Great Results with the ARC, it took a bit of tweaking by trying lots of different speaker placement and running the test a few times but it was definitely worth it. Since I have a large format console I was getting some kind of smudge in a few areas of the spectrum. the ARC cleaned that up very nicely and made my focal sound really perfect!. The Focals are amazing speakers but the room I'm in , even though treated had some small issues that the ARC was able to fix, I'm very happy with the results and my mixes translate great.
I'm using the Recoils that you would normaly use to lay the focals horizontally ( i think the 7?) but I'm not sure.
you can check on our site in my sign. even though the pics are a bit old now u can see the recoils
Old 17th August 2010
  #97
Lives for gear
 
zacheus83's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I'm getting Great Results with the ARC, it took a bit of tweaking by trying lots of different speaker placement and running the test a few times but it was definitely worth it. Since I have a large format console I was getting some kind of smudge in a few areas of the spectrum. the ARC cleaned that up very nicely and made my focal sound really perfect!. The Focals are amazing speakers but the room I'm in , even though treated had some small issues that the ARC was able to fix, I'm very happy with the results and my mixes translate great.
I'm using the Recoils that you would normaly use to lay the focals horizontally ( i think the 7?) but I'm not sure.
you can check on our site in my sign. even though the pics are a bit old now u can see the recoils
The vibe in your studio, the colors, the gear, is awesome. I'd choose the same stuff... including the Xbox 360
Old 17th August 2010
  #98
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheus83 View Post
The vibe in your studio, the colors, the gear, is awesome. I'd choose the same stuff... including the Xbox 360
thanks I picked the 360...and the wii...and the ps3 why choose ??? lol
Old 17th August 2010
  #99
Lives for gear
 

wow mdjice, ur studio is vibin' out! I LOVE it. I'd be so relaxed there.
I watched one of the interviews on your myspace, and u seem really positive too. It's always cool to see someone who loves their music.
Old 17th August 2010
  #100
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

Vertical in my opinion will always net a better result. Since both 6.5" drivers reproduce much of the same range at the same time, having their output arrive at your ears at slightly different times when toed in horizontally can cause phase issues.

With vertical they are on the same "plane" to your ears.

War
Old 17th August 2010
  #101
Lives for gear
 
zacheus83's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman View Post
wow mdjice, ur studio is vibin' out! I LOVE it. I'd be so relaxed there.
I watched one of the interviews on your myspace, and u seem really positive too. It's always cool to see someone who loves their music.
I am seriously on the way to Home Depot to buy some track lights! I wanna be inspired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Vertical in my opinion will always net a better result. Since both 6.5" drivers reproduce much of the same range at the same time, having their output arrive at your ears at slightly different times when toed in horizontally can cause phase issues.

With vertical they are on the same "plane" to your ears.

War
I totally agree, I can hear the difference. They sound good horizontal, but sound so much better, as if they were made to be vertical. Maybe in a larger room they might sound better horizontal....
Old 18th August 2010
  #102
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman View Post
wow mdjice, ur studio is vibin' out! I LOVE it. I'd be so relaxed there.
I watched one of the interviews on your myspace, and u seem really positive too. It's always cool to see someone who loves their music.
yep thats where I spend loooong hours.. sometimes not even doing music but just writing or just relaxing
artissts love it too, confortable atmosphere beats any gear...but I have some nice gear in there too!!...just in caseheh
Old 18th August 2010
  #103
Lives for gear
 
zacheus83's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
yep thats where I spend loooong hours.. sometimes not even doing music but just writing or just relaxing
artissts love it too, confortable atmosphere beats any gear...but I have some nice gear in there too!!...just in caseheh
You mean your studio isn't just made up of pretty lights????? bummer...
Old 22nd August 2010
  #104
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheus83 View Post
You mean your studio isn't just made up of pretty lights????? bummer...
heh
Old 22nd August 2010
  #105
Gear Addict
 
hernanperez2000's Avatar
In 2008 I thought the same. Now my review of the focal twin 6 (2010).

SO AMAZING MONITORS

I loved and love my focals. You
can hear every detail in a complex mix. Excellent translation too.
Old 22nd August 2010
  #106
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I know, another review well I'll just tell it like it is and you can read if you are interested in these speakers and you can pass on if you are not.

First of all. I've been mixing quite a few records for many majors this year alone and I have more scheduled as I write so changing speakers is not something that can be done easily as you have to "learn" them.
I have a pair of NS-10, a pair of event 20/20 bas, a genelec sub in my studio. I have also mixed in the past few months on a pair of adams s3, adams A7 and genelec. 1031A.

First of all, congrats on working on NS-10s for years without committing suicide. My lovely NS-10s are excellent paperweights now. I'm 4 years into my Focal SM-8s, and love every second of their tweeter. The low end that's lost in twin and solo 6s is not lost for me!
Old 22nd August 2010
  #107
Lives for gear
 
Tube World's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanperez2000 View Post
In 2008 I thought the same. Now my review of the focal twin 6 (2010).

SO AMAZING MONITORS

I loved and love my focals. You
can hear every detail in a complex mix. Excellent translation too.
Hey your not allowed to post 2010 Focal Twin comments in the 2008 thread. You have to post your comments here. Focal Twins Review 2010 heh By the way, some how I will have to make a way for me to get the Focal Solo's. Anyone want a Eric Clapton Strat? sniff, sniff.
Old 22nd August 2010
  #108
Lives for gear
 
zacheus83's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
Hey your not allowed to post 2010 Focal Twin comments in the 2008 thread. You have to post your comments here. Focal Twins Review 2010 heh
How bout posting in both??
Old 23rd August 2010
  #109
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchkash View Post
. The low end that's lost in twin and solo 6s is not lost for me!
I got a sub
Old 24th August 2010
  #110
Lives for gear
 
zacheus83's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
I got a sub
+1, Focal Sub 6
Old 24th August 2010
  #111
Lives for gear
 
Tube World's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacheus83 View Post
+1, Focal Sub 6
If you want more bass out of your Focal's won't moving the contour knob to +3 give you want you want? So my question is, do you want the sub for louder bass or just lower freq's?
Old 26th August 2010
  #112
Lives for gear
 
zacheus83's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
If you want more bass out of your Focal's won't moving the contour knob to +3 give you want you want? So my question is, do you want the sub for louder bass or just lower freq's?
I didn't like the sound as much when I boosted the contour on the back. IMO it sounded like more of the same frequencies and not lower frequencies. The low and the mid range with the settings at 0 sound excellent in my room as is.

However, the first mix that I did with just the Twins and no sub, ended up sounding overly bass heavy in every other system I played back in. I immediately searched out and bought the Sub 6. When I installed it and callibrated it, I opened the same mix, immediately heard which instruments were too loud in the lows, fixed the problem, listened to the mixdown, and presto! I had a sound that sounded 95% like what I heard in my room.

There's something about hearing and feeling the extra low rumble that helps me pull back the super low freq's and dial in the punchy part of the kick and bass.

Also, with the Sub 6, it matches the Twins perfectly. I think my crossover is set close to 100 so that the Twins don't play anything below that frequency. I use a footswitch to bypass the sub and play the full range and I can immediately hear a clearer signal when the Sub is on. When the sub is off, it sounds as if the Twins strain slightly in the headroom department because all of the energy is being diverted to the lows.... I dunno, that's what it sounds like to me!

Sorry for the lengthy response
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
TML / High end
59
reflexon / The Good News Channel
13
celulazul / High end
1
Larrysings / So much gear, so little time
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump