The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My review of the Focal twin 6 (2008) Studio Monitors
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Over a year after and a few more gold and platinum plaques... I Still love them ! I havnt had to use my ns-10s much in the past year , go for them you won't regret it !
Old 26th December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
Over a year after and a few more gold and platinum plaques... I Still love them ! I havnt had to use my ns-10s much in the past year , go for them you won't regret it !
nice to hear a long-term review

thanks for sharing
Old 26th December 2009
Gear Head

i'm still lovin mine as well
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

Me too...

cheers
SP
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear

+1
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear
Distortion specs anyone? Not listed on the Focal website....
Old 26th December 2009
Gear Head
Hmmm, do not think an active monitor needs these THD specs, as you cannot connect directly to these amps. They are inside a system.
Specifying the distortion coming out of the speakers... not very common.

Trust your ears, they sound very clean! Great tools for great mixes, worth every cent.
Old 26th December 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPicard View Post
Hmmm, do not think an active monitor needs these THD specs, as you cannot connect directly to these amps. They are inside a system.
Specifying the distortion coming out of the speakers... not very common.
Most manufacturers give distortion specs for their amps. It is very important, as I could afford a Bryston with some PMC's or something equally awesome. I was wondering if I will be missing out by saving $3k on the twins? Actually I am considering the solos now, just worried my new room will be too big. 108db isn't all that loud, granted its good for a 6" 2 way. I hear that Alicia Keys was mastered on them, but that doesn't say much, because she probably doesn't need much mastering work done other than a quick limit and maybe a bass tuck. It is a dream to work with an artist that talented...its just easy money!
Old 27th December 2009
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
Most manufacturers give distortion specs for their amps. It is very important, as I could afford a Bryston with some PMC's or something equally awesome...
I fully understand that you want to get the best for your budget and at least monitors that will allow you to produce great mixes (and/or masters). But I would not put that much focus on the distortion specs of the amps. Also, it is very difficult to compare separate amps + passive monitors with active monitors. In active systems there is a lot more stuff going on to make a great flat response.
While the amps might add just a nice clinical bit of distortion to the path, the speakers will add a piece of distortion that would make the distortion of the amps a drop of rain in a thunderstorm. More like whole percents when running at 100+ dB!

The technical spec of an active monitor that does matter is the free field frequency response AND the corresponding bandwidth, +/- ?dB. Focal specifies +/- 2dB, so pretty good. Also how low can we go (flat!) and how low do you need to go. The maximum sound pressure is another thing, but beware that manufacturers not always specify how long this "peak" is allowed to last. Then there is the RMS power of the amps rated at a certain distortion... well, pretty useless information because the driver efficiency can make a huge difference.
All these specs just give you a rough idea what the monitors are capable of, "what kind of meat we have in the tub" - as the dutch say.
The most useful of all data is the waterfall plot, where frequency response and damping are combined. Any major impurities in the flatness, excessive coloration and muddiness are revealed, and that's why it is so difficult to find these details when you want - manufacturers rarely publish these, because they do not look nice and attractive from a marketing point of view. Sometimes you they pop up here and there in various independent test reports.

To finish it off, sorry - I realize I am raving on now... I would stop relying on specs and start listening, if you haven't done yet. Best of luck finding a suitable match for you!
Old 27th December 2009
the Twins are one of the Cleanest Speakers I heard.
The Amps are great and clean.

So for me that is very important , not only to have a cleanest reproduction, but because that will allow me to be more edgy with my sounds if I want, and not be fooled by the Amps/speaker of my system.

I compared the Twins with many other Speakers and always the Focals were the cleanest.

Now think about this:

I do not know any gear or even Plug in that removes distortion....
With that I mean that in that area of sound, the Focals were more True to the Source.
Old 27th December 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
the Twins are one of the Cleanest Speakers I heard.
The Amps are great and clean.
I agree.
Old 1st January 2010
Jai guru deva om

I am breaking in a pair right now looping STP "Core" overnight every night for a few days now at maybe 95dB combined volume, so far I really like the Twins (vertical placement in my 12 x 14 room is extremely coherent from a 4' to 5' distance).

I like the fact that yes, overall they are a clean sounding speaker...but can be pushed LOUD which I need every once in a while. I find they will really crank out the SPL's, way better than anything else I've personally put up in here.

War
Old 2nd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I am breaking in a pair right now looping STP "Core" overnight every night for a few days now at maybe 95dB combined volume, so far I really like the Twins (vertical placement in my 12 x 14 room is extremely coherent from a 4' to 5' distance).

I like the fact that yes, overall they are a clean sounding speaker...but can be pushed LOUD which I need every once in a while. I find they will really crank out the SPL's, way better than anything else I've personally put up in here.

War
Cool choice of cd to break them in! lol I honestly haven't ever read on here of people using rock discs to do this task. I'd be the one guy to stick a deftones cd or something in for a week.
Old 2nd January 2010
Gear Nut

I've had a pair of Twin6s for about a year now. Love'em. I have absolutely no desire to ever upgarde, downgrade, or change to another monitoring setup. I hope they last a life-time.
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzo View Post
I've had a pair of Twin6s for about a year now. Love'em. I have absolutely no desire to ever upgarde, downgrade, or change to another monitoring setup. I hope they last a life-time.
What he saidheh
Old 31st March 2010
Gear Head

I bought these monitors after mixing an album on a friends pair. When they arrived I was fully aware that they needed to be burnt in. During all of my sessions I was scared of using them as they just didn't feel right.
The studio got booked for a two day mix session by a freelance engineer. After he left I noticed a instant difference. These speakers are really performing now. Through not being in that session and comparing before and after I can re-assure everyone that after the burn-in time, these speakers are amazing. Can't wait to use them everyday... Hold in there, there's light at the end of the burning tunnel!

The only downside is.... They look so good it's distracting!
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Hackney View Post
I bought these monitors after mixing an album on a friends pair. When they arrived I was fully aware that they needed to be burnt in. During all of my sessions I was scared of using them as they just didn't feel right.
The studio got booked for a two day mix session by a freelance engineer. After he left I noticed a instant difference. These speakers are really performing now. Through not being in that session and comparing before and after I can re-assure everyone that after the burn-in time, these speakers are amazing. Can't wait to use them everyday... Hold in there, there's light at the end of the burning tunnel!

The only downside is.... They look so good it's distracting!
thumbsup
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Hackney View Post
They look so good it's distracting!
They are pretty sexy!
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Mine were already great until I got SSL Alpha Links. Then they sounded 1000x better. I now feel like I'm finally taking advantage of my Focals.
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear interested

Simon at Focal,

Hi,
Where can I go to listen to some Focals, I live in Huddersfield (UK)..
cheers,
Jon
Old 4th April 2010
Gear maniac

I love mine. Wish I had bought them sooner....
Old 6th April 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon F View Post
Hi,
cheers,
Jon
Hi Jon F
You can contact SCV London our UK distributor to find a dealer in your area.

SCV London
40 Chigwell Lane, Oakwood Hill Industrial Estate
IG10 3NY Loughton
Essex
+44 (0)20 8418 0778
http://www.scvlondon.co.uk

Nicolas @ Focal.
Old 16th April 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon F View Post
Hi,
cheers,
Jon

Hi Jon. As per Nicolas' response, please call SCV and ask for me.
Cheers
Garry
Old 16th April 2010
Reg
Gear maniac

Focals

I have been using the twins with the sub6 in my studio for some time now and I'm extremely happy with my puchase choice. Today I received a pair of Focal CM 65 for working on mixes while on the road with my day job. They have about four hours of music time on them and so far I am floored by these little guy's. Yes, your no longer listenning to speakers, what I hear is the music and somewhat inside the music. Do I need a sub, NO, I can alway's tell what the bottom end is doing. Focal has done it again, big thumbs up to the Focal people, another happy customer second time over. Anyone contemplating the CM 65's, check them out, well worth the time and if later if you need extended bottom end reference, get the sub. Happy camper hereheh
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas debard View Post
Hi Jon F
You can contact SCV London our UK distributor to find a dealer in your area.

SCV London
40 Chigwell Lane, Oakwood Hill Industrial Estate
IG10 3NY Loughton
Essex
+44 (0)20 8418 0778
http://www.scvlondon.co.uk

Nicolas @ Focal.
What's Up Nic!? I missed at the Messe (swamped with work in the US) but My friend Phil told me he stopped by and say hi
I'm mixing another record on the focal as I type thisheh
Old 17th April 2010
Lives for gear

New these are a little out of budget but anyone selling them I have 1600 gbp waiting for a pair!
Old 18th April 2010
Lives for gear

Hi there,

I recently sold my Twins for a pair of ATC SCM 100a's.

The ATC's are great for listening to music, but I might be buying another pair of Twins for my listening *into* mixes heh

Cheers

John NYMO Nyman
Old 14th August 2010
Focal Twins

I was very curious about the Focal Twins; everyone seemed to be praising them and a lot more than many other monitors. It was not just those who sell them, but many users out there. Therefore I took a step forward and now I have them in my studio to be evaluated. I am happy with my current monitors in my studio and have been obtaining good mixes that sound good on many different sources. I am working on a review of the Twins, and am currently burning them in. I will report back soon on my observations, and I will be very honest on pros and cons. Here they are in my studio. I have to admit they look better than most monitors I have seen. I have them on stands that have sand in them. I have tried the monitors with and without the mo-pads. With the mo-pads under the monitors, there is less vibration going into the stands, giving a slightly larger more focused sound in my studio.
Attached Thumbnails
My review of the Focal twin 6 (2008)-dsc_1267.jpg  
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I was very curious about the Focal Twins; everyone seemed to be praising them and a lot more than many other monitors. It was not just those who sell them, but many users out there. Therefore I took a step forward and now I have them in my studio to be evaluated. I am happy with my current monitors in my studio and have been obtaining good mixes that sound good on many different sources. I am working on a review of the Twins, and am currently burning them in. I will report back soon on my observations, and I will be very honest on pros and cons. Here they are in my studio. I have to admit they look better than most monitors I have seen. I have them on stands that have sand in them. I have tried the monitors with and without the mo-pads. With the mo-pads under the monitors, there is less vibration going into the stands, giving a slightly larger more focused sound in my studio.
Hey Glenn, looking forward to reading your review. If it's anything like your Manley Voxbox, TNT, or DW Fearn VT-7 review, we should be in for a treat. thumbsup By the way, what kind of acoustic treatment is that in your studio? I see the Voxbox in your rack...it looks nice.
Old 15th August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
Hey Glenn, looking forward to reading your review. If it's anything like your Manley Voxbox, TNT, or DW Fearn VT-7 review, we should be in for a treat. thumbsup By the way, what kind of acoustic treatment is that in your studio? I see the Voxbox in your rack...it looks nice.
Tube World, thank you for your kind words. I have GIK Acoustic bass traps and panels along with Auralex as well. It seems that people like Joshua Aaron of Audio Lot is correct about the Focals. So far, I am very impressed with them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search