The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler EMI Curvebender vs Massive Passive Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 9th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Chandler EMI Curvebender vs Massive Passive

Hi,Main Use: eq on buss and guitars...however rock/metal/guitar oriented stuff. Above all, I'd like to know which unit you prefer for mids and why (for a smooth sound)? I'll test them but before I'd like to know your opinionsThank you
Old 9th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S75 View Post
Hi,Main Use: eq on buss and guitars...however rock/metal/guitar oriented stuff. Above all, I'd like to know which unit you prefer for mids and why (for a smooth sound)? I'll test them but before I'd like to know your opinionsThank you
My Massive Passive is one of my fav EQs on guitars. You can add quite a high mid boost to get some great crunch out of your guitar tones without it sound harsh or ear piecing. The HPF also work very well on guitars and the LPF are incredible for removing "buzz" without removing the bite.

On the mix buss... wish I had two MPs because it's often a toss-up between guitars or the mix.
Old 10th October 2008
Gear Maniac

I have both and I use the curve bender more across the bus and the manley I use more as two channels of EQ rather than as a big stereo unit.
I like the sound of both. The Curve bender is a killer EQ. The massive is a pretty great EQ.
The curve bender is detented and has a character when hit harder that I like. The massive is not detented (non mastering version) and doesnt have character when hit harder, it just keeps giving...
I have a pair of melcor GME20's I like for guitars if i go outboard. I have a pair of EQP1R's for other stuff, and a few other outboard EQ's... like Aengus's's and neumann PEV's and mercury tube EQ's, but the curve bender gets used on every mix.
Old 11th October 2008
Gear Maniac

is someone using TG curvebender for guitars? how is it? I read on some reviews that the mids are great. Are they comparable to the mids of Manley (for a smooth and not harsh sound)?
Old 13th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by S75 View Post
is someone using TG curvebender for guitars? how is it?
Loving it on lots of things. The Curvebender definitely gets used a lot here! I just ran some heavier detuned metal guitars through it and it was great. I've used it on acoustics, vocals....just depends on the mix and what needs to be there.
Old 5th June 2014
Lives for gear

this video shows both these EQs (and others) in use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cimY5sL2x94

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search