The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API A2D or Audient Black? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th October 2008
Gear Addict

API A2D or Audient Black?

Hi there!

Just wanted your oppinion. I'm looking for a 2 channel preamp + good quality converter. Kind of like the A2D. However, just realized that you get the Audient Black 4 slot rack with two preamps and the A/D converter for more or less the same money (at least that's true in sweden, don't know about US)...

So, oppinions? Pro/cons? The Black feels a bit more "future-proof" I think, since the modules are interchangeable, and the preamps have more options. On the other hand, the A2D is the A2D, so, well, the question more or less comes down to, is the A2D better sounding than the Black?
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydan View Post
Hi there!

Just wanted your oppinion. I'm looking for a 2 channel preamp + good quality converter. Kind of like the A2D. However, just realized that you get the Audient Black 4 slot rack with two preamps and the A/D converter for more or less the same money (at least that's true in sweden, don't know about US)...

So, oppinions? Pro/cons? The Black feels a bit more "future-proof" I think, since the modules are interchangeable, and the preamps have more options. On the other hand, the A2D is the A2D, so, well, the question more or less comes down to, is the A2D better sounding than the Black?
i really love the api a2d - but i never heard the audient black.
the api 312 pre's are classic and the a2d a/d is very good imho.
and the new a2d models seem to have wordclock and superclock.
i would go with api ...
Old 6th October 2008
The Audient Micro Dual is a two channel ASP008 preamp with variable harmonic distortion, switchable high pass filters, variphase (like the Little Labs/Radial boxes), and ADC. It's $1100 from Musicians Friends. I checked it out at AES, for the money it seems like a great value.
Old 6th October 2008
Gear Head

i checked out the audient at aes to and we have an a2d at the studio. the feature set on the audient is cool but the audio isn't very good it sounds very lifeless
Old 6th October 2008
Gear Nut

Hi Don and rydan (and anyone else interested!),

If you would like to do some proper listening tests I'm sure we can sort that.
'Lifeless' is certainly not a comment we have had from any users before.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 6th October 2008
I have not used the API, but I own the audient black bb4 with 2 preamps and 2 comps.

I think the preamps are great to go tools, they just work for a lots of stuff. Really quite with much gain and the HMX gives you the mojo when you need it.

The comps are also good workhorses but maybe not that much character. But for the price, great!
Old 7th October 2008
Lives for gear

The ASP008 wasn't remotely in the league of the A2D when it was here in my studio. It got returned. I'm debating doubling-up on A2D's.
Old 7th October 2008
Gear Addict

its a question of taste............
the best way borrow both unit & test it...
Old 7th October 2008
Lives for gear

The Black stuff is quite different than the 008...transformer-balanced preamps versus transformerless, with more color to them. I haven't had the chance to actually A/B them with anything but I was able to mess around with them a bit and was pretty impressed with what they were capable of...
Old 7th October 2008
Gear Head

has anyone even heard the audient adc yet???? and will it work with an a designs 500 2 slot rack?
Old 7th October 2008
Lives for gear

I haven't heard it, but the Audient and API formats are not compatible (so no, it won't work in the A Designs rack).
Old 8th October 2008
Gear Guru

the a2d is badass. it's extra deadly when paired with api compression, you instantly get 'that sound' you know from so many classic records.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 8th October 2008

The A2D is a great product... Great preamps, very good converter. It doesn't get any better in that price range.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search