The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
apogee ad8000se or Mytek 8x96 Digital Converters
Old 5th October 2008
Gear Addict

apogee ad8000se or Mytek 8x96

Hey Sluts, i have an apogee ad8000se, would a Mytek 8x96 be an upgrade recording at 48k?

thanks for your time.
Old 5th October 2008
Gear Addict

can someone who has heard both tell me what the sonic differences are please
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

The AD8000's are STILL great and hard to beat at 44.1-48/24bit.
Personally, I wouldn't waste the loot on that possibility of a 1 or 2% subjective boost in quality.
Old 6th October 2008
Gear Addict

The AD8000 is a great converter. Don't replace it until it breaks.

Spend your money on analog outboard gear or food. :-)
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear
AD8000 se is very musical sounding converter. sounds so smooth. The looks/interface is great too. This converter will make anything as good as it needs to be. my 2 cents
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear
I use an AD8000 everyday. I'm sure "spec" wise there are better converters, but it has it's own sound that I wouldn't trade for anything. The soft limiters are a great feature too.
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

Gee, seems like a lot of comments from those who've never used anything since the AD8000.

I have nothing against the AD8000, it's a great piece, I used it for years and wouldn't hesitate to use it now.

The Mytek 8X96 is in another class. Not vastly better, but most definitely better. And I say this having used it at 44.1 KHz the great majority of the time. I prefer it not only to the AD8000, but also to the AD16 and the AD-16x. It simply sounds like a great converter should sound, i.e, like the original source.

The Mytek is more detailed, neutral and accurate. It sounds more "true" for basically all types of music. The Apogee does have a bit of a "sound," and while it's a nice sound, that bias is really only better for some pop/rock stuff. The Mytek is just as good for that stuff and better for everything else.

JSL
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

I bailed my a8000se when I went PTHD and I don't miss it a bit. Lavry and digi 192 both beat the life out of it.

Im amazed that so many insist its still a relatively great sounding converter when its actually not... They have retained value like analog gear but thats because they were 10 grand originally. Compare an ad8000se to the new apogee top end stuff.... Then you get the picture.

My old G3 was 4+ grand and I wouldn't use it today either...

The other thing to consider is most ad8000 owners bought them used and were upgrading from things like digi002 converters. I loved mine as it was an upgrade from 888/24s. Relativity is a bitch...

The top end is poor and the bottom mushy, sad but true. And soft limit sucks- I could never use it without wanting to undo it.

BUT if you are a hobbyist- then who cares? The thing works right?
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold View Post
The top end is poor and the bottom mushy, sad but true. And soft limit sucks- I could never use it without wanting to undo it.

BUT if you are a hobbyist- then who cares? The thing works right?

Well, believe it or not, I'm not a hobbyist (owning my own studio and producing is my only job), and I do care about sonics (if I didn't, I wouldn't have a 2" tape machine), and I still love my AD8000! I've also used Digi192's (liked the AD8000 more) and the Lynx Aurora (I'd rather go through the AD8000 for drums anyday). Now, I will say that IMHO it's the DA side of the AD8000 that lacks compared to the newer stuff. Just one guys opinion.

But I do agree on the soft limiter. Every time I've used it I've regretted it.
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
and I do care about sonics (if I didn't, I wouldn't have a 2" tape machine),
Trying not to snicker ...

Quote:
I've also used Digi192's (liked the AD8000 more) and the Lynx Aurora (I'd rather go through the AD8000 for drums anyday).
Begging your pardon, but just because the AD8000 holds up next to the 192 and the Aurora doesn't mean it holds up next to a Mytek, or even a more recent Apogee. Those are both very good converters but hardly high-end.

JSL
Old 7th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Trying not to snicker ...

Begging your pardon, but just because the AD8000 holds up next to the 192 and the Aurora doesn't mean it holds up next to a Mytek, or even a more recent Apogee. Those are both very good converters but hardly high-end.

JSL
Ive used AD16's, AD16x's, Prisimsound, metric halo, swissonics, Lavry, 192's, and a few others. The AD8000 sounds great and holds its own.

Moving a mic 1/8th of an inch will make WAY more difference than whether the AD is mytek or apogee. But if that mytek is what you need to be an engineer, more power to ya
Old 7th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
Ive used AD16's, AD16x's, Prisimsound, metric halo, swissonics, Lavry, 192's, and a few others. The AD8000 sounds great and holds its own.

Moving a mic 1/8th of an inch will make WAY more difference than whether the AD is mytek or apogee. But if that mytek is what you need to be an engineer, more power to ya
Word.

Still sloggin away in the trenches with mine too.

Often I wish I had the scratch to afford a whole 'nother round of converters for my aging rig.

Then I invested more in better mics, O/B EQ's/comps, etc., and mix OTB (thru their D/A, back thru A/D again) - sounds GREAT!

Don't push them to the brink and they can sound damn good. If you push the 'soft limit' you'll probably regret it.

IME/IMO, converters are important, but highly overrated. I've mentioned this before, but - I attended last years' AES, and went to a 'listening' session to evaluate a small company's converters. There was a room FULL of heavy hitters, a lot of whom I respect. After the 'market-speil' and a couple of other A/B/X tests, there was a final A/B test between a master mix of a 96k session (soft, spatial acoustic/mellow stuff -with percussion/chimes etc.), and the other was the same recording run 21 times through AD/DA.

Results: NOT ONE PERSON could identify the original from the multi-conversion file. We listened till our heads were about to implode - not one person could accurately identify one from the other.

That test had me re-evaluate my priorities, and since, I've re-invested in microphones, NOT converters. I can't say I've ever been happier.

To each their own, but if I were seriously considering where to invest to get the BEST results from my recordings, I'd put converters behind quality mics and pre's...

my .02 c
Old 7th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
Well, why didn't you just say so. Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

Quote:
Moving a mic 1/8th of an inch will make WAY more difference than whether the AD is mytek or apogee.
Among real engineers, that is beyond obvious. Not sure what your point is, we're talking about the conversion, not what's being converted.

Quote:
But if that mytek is what you need to be an engineer, more power to ya
What I need?

1. Anybody who works in my studio could make a nice recording with a cassette four-track and an SM57. It's a requirement to be hired here.

2. If there's any gear I "need" to be an engineer, it's a nice sounding room, and I've got one -- though a good engineer sometimes has to make do without.

I sure hope I've answered your asshøle remark adequately. Not sure why you'd randomly pick a fight with a studio owner in your own town. We do good work, ask anyone.

That aside, the Mytek is simply a better converter than the AD8000, and not by a small margin, and it also makes a stellar master clock —*Fletcher has said it's comparable as a clock to Big Ben, and I agree, and of course there's an inherent advantage in having your main ADC channels integrated with a great master clock. Moreover, it costs at most a few hundred dollars more on the secondhand market — despite sounding pretty much identical to the current model 8X192, the 8X96 has a deflated resale value, while the AD8000 still coasts on its stellar reputation and the well-known Apogee brand.

Based on this, I think it's a very worthwhile investment for an AD8000 owner to sell it and find a good price on an 8X96, especially if the AD8000 is his best converter and master clock. Even though the AD8000 is still a very fine converter, more than adequate to do good work, for a few hundred dollars more, the Mytek is a very high-value upgrade.

JSL

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search