The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need High End Preamp For Re-27 Mic!!! 500 Series Dynamics
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

Need High End Preamp For Re-27 Mic!!!

What's up Gearslutz.com. I been searching this website relentlessly since I've joined gathering as much info as possible. Just purchased an Electrovoice Re27 Microphone and need a microphone preamp to make it sound it's best. I will mostly be recording hip-hop vocals. I been thinking about getting one of these four preamps: Vintech x73i, Vintech 1272, Great River MEQ-1NV, and the Brent Averill 312A Avedis. This is my first preamp and microphone purchase and want best possible combination. Also please include any compressor recommendation for this vocal chain too. Thanks so much!!!
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

Also, there's another preamp that got my attention. What about the Mercury M76m Microphone Amplifier. Please respond guys and let me know your opinions, thx.
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

Will somebody please give me an answer!!! Im practically begging over here
Old 6th October 2008
It's almost an impossible question to answer, it's almost like asking 'what car is best for transportation?'. Any quality preamp is going to sound really great, but there are definite differences between preamps. Assuming that you really like the way an RE-27 sounds on your voice, then the preamp will do a couple things. It will accentuate or deaccentuate certain frequencies, and it will either add more or less coloration (which I feel is distinct and seperate from frequencies, it's a distortion thing).

Just from my observations (and you may feel I'm wrong), hip hop engineers that I talk to (which are many over the years) seem to like more forward sounds, especially in the high mids and or highs. Most types of modern music, from rock to hip hop can benefit from a richer sounding preamp IMO also. Mercury V76 is more forward sounding, Mercury M72 is more mellow. Vintech Dual 72 is more mellow and thick, their x73i or 273 is more forward in the high mids and highs. I personally think that the API sound in general is too fast for vocals, that's why people really like it on drums, but I think vocals (other than really clean pop or academic types of music) can benefit from a bit more grit and a slower slew rate.
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks Nathan for the reply. So the Mercury M76m Studio Amplifier would be a good choice? If so, then what compressor would finish the vocal chain. Im looking for a Tupacish kinda of sound. Not overly compressed but smooth and full of character and in your face so to speak. I know that the vocal performance is key too, LOL. Could you name a few compressors that might help give me this sound?
Old 6th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Wiizard View Post
Thanks Nathan for the reply. So the Mercury M76m Studio Amplifier would be a good choice? If so, then what compressor would finish the vocal chain. Im looking for a Tupacish kinda of sound. Not overly compressed but smooth and full of character and in your face so to speak. I know that the vocal performance is key too, LOL. Could you name a few compressors that might help give me this sound?
I honestly couldn't tell you what preamp or comp would get you a Tupacish sound, but I can tell you what the hip hop guys that I deal with prefer. Mercury M76 is a good choice because it's very 'warm' and simultaneously upfront in the high mids. For comps, fast or FET types seem to be the preference, since they hold the vocals in place dynamically so every word is clearly heard (but like any genre I assume there are no absolute rules). Buzz Potion, Purple MC77, Purple Action, Empirical Labs Distressor, Chandler Germanium comp, Burgin McDaniel Komit are the ones I'm familiar with that will all do the job. Some are 500 format, some are 19" rack units, some are more broad useage and more flexible, some are slightly less flexible. All sound really nice and will do the job. Hope this helps.
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks Nathan, I really, truly, appreciate your time and wisdom.
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

AN RE27 will sound pretty good thru low end pre amps...but I use a 737
for my RE27 and it sounds great. I only use that mic for recording acoustic guitars. On voice it sounds too much like a radio mic, which it basically is.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search