The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need help with recording setup. Audio Interfaces
Old 5th October 2008
Gear Nut

Need help with recording setup.

Hi fellow slutz.

I'm gonna build a "home" recording studio. I have a room I'm gonna have built for tracking purposes. It'll be isolated and all that. So the room itself won't be a problem.

I'm not a wizard when it comes to the DAWs, but the two platforms I'm familiar with are Logic and Pro Tools. I don't prefer either. And I'm not gonna be mixing anything in the studio yet.

It's strictly for recording drums, guitars, bass and sampling stuff.
If I could have both Logic 8 and Pro Tools that would be great.

I have been thinking about the Digi 003 + Apogee Ensemble and some Aurora Audio 8 channel preamp, possibly two of them.

Or 003 + outboard AD/DA converters and outboard preamps.
Do I need an external word clock now? and what else am I missing?

I can't afford PT HD just yet.

For microphones I was thinking the Bock 251, SM7, SM57, 421 and maybe a Royer.

I need some help with the microphones and finding the right setup.

The stuff I'm gonna record is mostly hard-rock, rock, alternative rock and anything rock. I have the vocal microphones. I just need to figure out the drum microphones. SM57 and 421 for guitars is what I need.

For monitoring I was thinking Yamaha NS-10 + Sub and something else.

Like I said, it's mostly gonna be a recording room. And I have to build it so I can expand in the future. Like with a mixer or something like that.

The drum recordings aren't crucial, as in the start, I'll prolly end up re-recording or recording the drums somewhere else anyways.

As for EQ I don't want anything else than what I need for tracking. Same goes with compression that.

So I was thinking something like....

Pro Tools 003 + converters, wordclock? + Aurora Audio 8 channel pre, Brent Averill 2 channel Pre, Great River 2 channel pre, 2 1176...
and in the future I could expand this with either the Matrix, or toft ATB..?

The total budget is between 30-40 grand. I already have a Mac Pro with Monitors, all the instruments I need and the room.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search