The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The older full rack two-space UA 610 pre... Single-Channel Preamps
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

The older full rack two-space UA 610 pre...

Does anyone know if there is a build difference in the older version of the UA 610?

This is grey-faced, full two-space rack unit. Why did they change it? What changed? Are there any differences between that and the non-racked version?

Thanks guys

-andrews
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

Bueller... Bueller... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Does anyone know if there is a build difference in the older version of the UA 610?

This is grey-faced, full two-space rack unit. Why did they change it? What changed? Are there any differences between that and the non-racked version?

Thanks guys

-andrews
Anyone... Bueller... Bueller... ? heh

-a
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

You must mean the M610? I have one and I really love it. The discontinued it when they made the LA-610. To me, it's a honest, uncomprimised version of the UA-610 preamp. No frills. Looks nice in the rack. It has the 6072 output tube (which they changed in the newer 2-610) and is a straight-forward, quality pre.
Regarding the comparison to the solo, the layout in the M610 is nice w/ plenty of space. I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling that the Solo is sort of a budget version whereas the M610 feels, looks , and performs like a high-end piece of gear.
Fortunately, you can find them for as cheap as $650 (I paid $1k new, three years ago).
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks guys

-andrews

Dirty,

Forget about pres. They matter very little. Buy enough channels of one good clear pre and quit worrying about pres. I chose DAV and the subject of pre worry is gone for me. Sell all your pres and buy Hardy's for example and make music. Worrying about pres is a waste of time. Record your album.
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
Dirty,

Forget about pres. They matter very little. Buy enough channels of one good clear pre and quit worrying about pres. I chose DAV and the subject of pre worry is gone for me. Sell all your pres and buy Hardy's for example and make music. Worrying about pres is a waste of time. Record your album.

this could be written to so many people
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

i, personally, would avoid the ua610 pre - i had the ua2610 - sold it - not
enough character or vibe and not hi-fi...............

you may love it

be well

- jack
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
Worrying about pres is a waste of time.
Maybe you didn't catch the title of this website...
heh

I think anyone with good ears and some creativity can benefit greatly from worrying about mic pres.
For instance, the 610 imparts a certain tone that I would never be able to get any other way. That means a lot to me and, on a couple of my songs, the character it adds is the difference between "good enough" and "perfect"! It's not just the 610 either. Lots of people have a variety of favorites for this very reason. Worrying about pres can be very rewarding.
Old 5th October 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
Maybe you didn't catch the title of this website...
heh

I think anyone with good ears and some creativity can benefit greatly from worrying about mic pres.
For instance, the 610 imparts a certain tone that I would never be able to get any other way. That means a lot to me and, on a couple of my songs, the character it adds is the difference between "good enough" and "perfect"! It's not just the 610 either. Lots of people have a variety of favorites for this very reason. Worrying about pres can be very rewarding.
Good man, good man !!!! For who shall be nuts enough to devote the untold amount of OCD-like energy to this game just to get "good enough" ??? Even one type of pre (or deskfull) for a whole project, like most good old records, but it's still rewarding to choose one to taste......but one pre for everything....ever...?
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks guys

-andrews
They changed the output tube type from a 6072 to a 12AT7. Other change is the inclusion of a -15dB pad. I suspect both of these have to do with the "headroom" issues people kept going on about. Apparently the new Silverface is also voiced a little "brighter" than the older one. I would hold out for a newer version, mainly because of the pad. I was surprised how much I actually preferred it to a TG2 on kick and snare. Heavy and chunky as hell. It's really a love it or hate it type piece, but if your preference is for "hi-fi" sounds I'd probably look elsewhere first.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search