The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best bass DI for metal music Single-Channel Preamps
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Best bass DI for metal music

I have a REDDI which sounds good but as I mostly do metal this one sounds a bit too smooth for me. I also have API and Vintech pres which have killer DIs (love the API for the punch especially).
I'm quite satisfied with them but the REDDI doesn't really get used as much as I thought. Is there a stand alone DI out there really appreciated for metal ? I guess it has to sound tight in the low/low mids (very balanced) with nice growling mids.
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Head

we got a tabfuinkenwerks v71 a couple of years ago. it is the best i've heard for metal and most other bass sounds. you can make it sound as big or as clean as you want
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

The Aguilar Tube Direct box is really responsive/fast with super wide bandwith. I can't imagine a better DI for metal (just be sure to drop an nice Telefunken tube in there). I sold mine because the low frequencies were too deep and I wanted something softer with a more restricted bandwith for rock.
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

creation labs mw1

this thing is by far the best
for gtr and bass
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moracspace View Post
TECH 21 Sanamp will get you any bass tone you are looking for.

Sanamp is horrible. It's no a professional unit.
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear
The Tech21 bass driver DI is awesome for aggressive bass tone.
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

Why don't you just put the $ into a nice bass amp rig???
The pre amps you have are great.
Metal Bass tones need to be bi amped to get the crisp highs and the tight low end.
Old 4th October 2008
So far we have 8 responses and 7 different recommendations. Any decent quality D.I. will work as long as you have a good bassist and a good sounding bass.

That said, after doing a shootout of a couple D.I.s (Radial and Avalon U5) and all of my pres, I chose my API3124's direct inputs as my favorite for hard rock and metal. Your results may vary.
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

I like the Radial JDI and Avalon U5

those are my two favorite DIs and I record a lot of metal and modern hard/prog rock
Old 5th October 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Sanamp is horrible. It's no a professional unit.
Not for everyone, but how can you say it's "not professional"? If enough pros use it.....?

Doesn't really fit the bill of a DI though.
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jval View Post
The Tech21 bass driver DI is awesome for aggressive bass tone.
If by "awesome" you mean very noisy with an sub-average overdrive, low headroom and excessively scooped eq, then I agree with you ...
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

Genz Benz.

I agree Sansamp is distant history.
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Not for everyone, but how can you say it's "not professional"? If enough pros use it.....?
You're right. And, to dismiss it is foolish. It can be awesome if you're blending it with a good DI or amp signal (or both) as has been proven by many professional engineers. Using it on it's own usually doesn't cut it though. I don't use them because I'm a tone freak but that doesn't mean that they can't be used to great effect.
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
If by "awesome" you mean very noisy with an sub-average overdrive, low headroom and excessively scooped eq, then I agree with you ...
Well, i've had good luck with it in the past. To each his own. Wouldn't use it on its own but paired with a clean DI or cleaner amp...
anyways, when it comes to bass on heavy records, all I'd want is a good bass, a good bassist, and an ampeg svt classic & 8x10.
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear
M610
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post

I guess you got a point. But I think there are units that will yield more professional results. Maybe that's a way to reword it.

I had a bass player in my band who swore by those bass di's. They always sounded cheap to me. I had to beg him to just plug direct into and api or whatever. When he finally did the difference was night and day.

Do some a/b tests and decide for yourself. Thin cheap di sounds may be desired. Sansamp fits that bill. If there is such thing as a professional thin and boring di sound then sansamp is no doubt a professional unit.

check out the mw1

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search