The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
It's ProTools...no, it's Logic...no, it's ProTools... DAW Software
Old 3rd October 2008
Pro Tools 8.0 is not necessarily modeled after Logic, it's modeled after the color scheme on the ICON ES, which was deemed to be easier on the eyes over long periods of time (which is probably the same logic employed for the Logic DUI).

There is a "brightness" slider that allows you to adjust the color scheme back to the silver/gray look of earlier versions of Pro Tools.
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Nut

the fully pimped le system is probobly gonna be arounf $1500

Logic 8 is $500 comes fully equippied with full version of plug-ins , samples and instruments , isn't dependent on Hardware and has unlimited tracks out of the box...Logic 8 is stil a better value...
Old 3rd October 2008

horses for courses Lafour.

You're talking about low market place. It would make very little sense for me to order 5 Logic setups when my industry is practically run with PT.

The value of PT comes as soon as you're in the biz of being in biz!
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
The value of PT comes as soon as you're in the biz of being in biz!
Depends on which biz we're talking about. I'm a songwriter, and my biz wouldn't benefit at all from PT -- *unless* PT would offer something the competition doesn't. For instance, more effective Elastic Pitch than what I can get from Logic/Melodyne. And that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 3rd October 2008
Gear Addict

come on

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
logic has a lot of catching up to do to be on par with the competition imo

digidesign are treading on new and interesting territory.

mean while apple are trying to just get logic to work the way it should but until they get this groundwork done, they can't move forward and they seem to be aware of it.

perhaps that's why it's taking so long for them to catch up - ah, who knows!
you really belive LOGIc is catching up LOL dude digi just released 8 and ripped off every good feature in logic almost to the T .... and logic 8 came out a long time ago so whos catching up to who ?
even still logic does everything pro tools can do minus elastic features, but you can do that in other ways anyway in logic. and with logic you can use any hardware you want....

I have used logic 8 and an ensamble flawlessly with no bugs or glitches my system is rock solid i have never used this many tracks, VI's and plugs ever without a dsp card
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

where are my panning-bars gone... i hate those wheels...
Old 3rd October 2008
Here for the gear

Anyone happen to know when PT8 is out?
I'm looking forward to upgrading!
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

I believe its being sold for the regular price that the original versions were sold at.
Old 4th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by author View Post
Depends on which biz we're talking about. I'm a songwriter, and my biz wouldn't benefit at all from PT -- *unless* PT would offer something the competition doesn't. For instance, more effective Elastic Pitch than what I can get from Logic/Melodyne. And that doesn't seem to be the case.
of course. PT would be the last system I'd recommend for a songwriter. But it'd be high on the list for working soundtrack recording - i record orchestra 50% of the time for soundtrack, so it's all AAA studio based. PT is one of the best systems for this.....

Post work for sound to picture is just tha' **** on PT - actually it's good on Nuendo too but that's another gig! I have a VERY different business model to a songwriter - a number of employees for a start!
Old 4th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by organik View Post
you really belive LOGIc is catching up LOL dude digi just released 8 and ripped off every good feature in logic almost to the T .... and logic 8 came out a long time ago so whos catching up to who ?
even still logic does everything pro tools can do minus elastic features, but you can do that in other ways anyway in logic. and with logic you can use any hardware you want....

I have used logic 8 and an ensamble flawlessly with no bugs or glitches my system is rock solid i have never used this many tracks, VI's and plugs ever without a dsp card
I've said it before and I'll say it again - effective routing. Only recently has track to track routing happened in native systems. Linkable MIDI and audio tracks for spotting. Proper time code support. Embedded markers in MIDI - useful for Nintendo DS systems if nothing else!. Decent EDL reports. Tab to transient. Beat tec (yeuch but useful!) and soo o many other MMC based things. YES - P isn't the ideal system for wrieters - but for everyday sync work and conforming as well as most professional recording tasks it's in the top league with Sadie (which has better fades although I prefer rendered fades) and Pyramix (which sounds great but is occasionally tipsys) and RADAR (great sounding simple system but lacking facilities). PT has it's foibles too - can be an awkward twat in the user interface stakes and the closed architecture.

I don't , and have NEVER bought into the PT sucks thing. The Digidesign interfaces aren't great - the 192 is alright. The PT MIDI spec is okay (although looking great in 8) - but the DSP cards give stability and confidence on projects costing £25k a day (sat in Abbey road with the LSO - you wanna make sure it works right?). The interface (despite issues) is EASY. The routing is excellent and overall if you can't make a decent sounding product in PT (or any other DAW or tape system) then, well - I wouldn't like to say. It's all about preference and requirements of the job. My job is best fullfilled by PT HD. My business partners, by Nuendo. Logic fits the bill for two of my MIDI editors (dunno why though !!)
Old 4th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Its unbelievable !!!

These Bastards!
It doesnt even look like Logic, much more like a sufisticated Garageband version...tutt

Man, these guys have taken it over the top. Lets see what apple is going to do about it,

This is a real patent steal...

I am not going to 8 the near future for sure,
I loved Pro Tools for its clean, overview style.
Now comes the" Garage-base" Version...
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleo View Post
This is a real patent steal...
I don't think you can have a Patent on color.
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

digital is a moving target...you have to keep putting features in as they are rolled out by competition or your market base.
In the future it will be all cross platform perhaps..
but I suppose its fun to argue about it...like baseball cards or something
any price anyone at aes heard for upgrade?
Old 4th October 2008
Gear Addict

I feel like the PT 8 feature list reads like the Cubase 4 sales pitch I heard 2 years ago. So nice you can pick how your toolbars look now. Thats so nice. Maybe I'll switch back now.

Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

I have an informant, who can help get your requests in still, so PM me with what you want, and I will email him in the morning and he will get to the team at Digidesign.

thanks
Old 4th October 2008
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DielonYaMon View Post
I have an informant, who can help get your requests in still, so PM me with what you want, and I will email him in the morning and he will get to the team at Digidesign.

thanks
ADC ADC ADC ADC ADC ADC ADC ADC ADC ADC ADC ADC ADC

All I want, everything else is cool
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
adc adc adc adc adc adc adc adc adc adc adc adc adc

all i want, everything else is cool
times 10!!!!!

and make midi editing like logic - then im so so sorted!

Still not a massive fan of the new GUI - bit fisher price for the mass market dont you think?
Old 4th October 2008
Gear Addict

Sweetwater listed PT8 for perorder.

It's like $150
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

No one has mentioned that Pro Tools has finally implemented meters per channel that actually tell you something about level. After 15 years we can finally know what our levels are.

Now, regarding the Midi in Pro Tools...

Last night, after developing a song without ADC on (I don't like to track audio or midi with it) I began to mix it and activated ADC. All the midi tracks being generated by Sonik Synth were suddenly way off in timing.

It's simple things like this that Pro Tools still can't get right. I don't want to work in an environment where midi is a moving target against audio depending on which mode you are in (ADC on or off).
Old 4th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
times 10!!!!!

and make midi editing like logic - then im so so sorted!
please! don'T!
Old 4th October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perelandra05 View Post
Sweetwater listed PT8 for perorder.

It's like $150
$150 for LE and M-Powered. $250 for HD.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search