The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
recommendations for devices to switch between different sets of monitors...
Old 15th March 2003
recommendations for devices to switch between different sets of monitors...

Hi, I am curious what some of you guys use to switch between your different monitors when mixing to a/b/c your mixes. I know Radio Shack sells a basic speaker switcher, but from looking at it, I don't think that would be a wise choice. I don't need something that can handle a ton of speakers, just maybe 3 sets. Also, I don't have tons to spend so if you're using the Titanium Super Ultra Audio Switcheroo Supreme with the gold plated option, that probably isn't within my realm of possibilities. Maybe $ 200 or less is more in my ball park.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 15th March 2003
Lives for gear

I use this. - cheap and easy.

Old 15th March 2003
Motown legend

The way most studios do it is separate power amps for each set of speakers because most speaker switches screw up the sound.

For the Quicksilver Messenger Service studio I simply used a pair of brand new SPDT (aka "three way") wall switches to switch the hot leads between two sets of speakers that had the common wired to both pairs. They need to be new so the contacts won't have ever arced on regular line current. You also don't want mercury, just copper!
Old 15th March 2003
Gear Addict

I also use the Coleman LS3 and am happy with it.
Old 15th March 2003
"several amplifiers (or active speakers) that you would like send a common line level signal."

Please advise on that, thanks

BTW I also need an 'off' or to "nowhere" 3rd switching option on the device..

Jules
Old 15th March 2003
Lives for gear

Bryston makes one for about $250 (Click me baby!). I've read some pretty good things about it over on r.a.p.

Proco makes one that goes for around $130(?) but I'm not sure. Yea baby, click me again!
Old 15th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I also need an 'off' or to "nowhere" 3rd switching option on the device..
Jules, The Colemanโ€™s switches are on/off - so yes, โ€œnowhereโ€ is an option.

Old 16th March 2003
Lives for gear

monitor switch

We chose the ProCo Switchwitch and it has worked out very nicely. It takes the incoming live level send from the console and provides 4 balanced, transformer isolated sends, each with their own On/Off switch. This setup allows a mix of active/passive monitor systems. Switch #1 controls my Hafler/Tannoy system while switch #2 controls my partner's active Blue Sky monitors.

And while our console already provides us with all of the live room / auxillary sends we need, any remaining sends on the Switchwitch can be used for whatever purpose you might come up with. And it's a rackmount unit, which is worth a few extra bucks, to us anyway.

here's a link:

http://www.procosound.com/downloads/...ets/switch.pdf

I think the "street" price is around $185

steve
[email protected]
Old 16th March 2003
Hi, thanks for the replies. I'm referring to the use of several different powered monitors. For me, a moderate noob, powered monitors are just an easier way to go. I just need a basic speaker/monitor switcher that won't degrade the signal so I am mixing what is actually there.
Thanks again,

Steve
Old 16th March 2003
active speakers that you would like send a common line level signal."

Please advise on that, thanks

BTW I also need an 'off' or to "nowhere" 3rd switching option on the device.

--------

- Can I just pick one up from a hi fi shop or what?
Old 16th March 2003
Lives for gear

I use a Coleman M3. Not so cheap, but it works great. Four input sources, three speaker outs.

My only knock is that it would be nice if you could run simultaneous outputs -- one to the monitors, another to the headphone mix, for example.

Jasper
Old 17th March 2003
Here for the gear

so I will have 2 pairs powered monitors, each getting +4db from a passive line level switch. I'd also like to be able to run a -10 send to a consumer amp which drives my cheapo surround setup. Is there some easy way to have the third output converted to -10?

electronic dolt needs to know..
Old 17th March 2003
Lives for gear

Hi!

Try these guys...haven't yet myself but looks interesting!

http://www.goldpt.com/vcb.html
Old 18th March 2003
Gear Nut

I use a ProCo Switch (referred above) to control a pair of Mackie HR824s and a pair of Event PS8s. Real clean and simple with balanced connections. Roughly $250 US.
Old 11th December 2005
Presonus Central Station

I run my DAC1 into the Presonus Central Station. It makes it very easy to switch between three pairs of monitors, or two pairs and a sub.

It's also nice to have the talkback button and headphone outputs.
Old 11th December 2005
Gear Maniac

Makie's Big Knob?
Old 11th December 2005
Lives for gear

guys, this thread's over 2 1/2 years old.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear