The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anamod 660/Fairchild 670
Old 30th September 2008
  #1
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Anamod 660/Fairchild 670

For anyone interested,Files located here:


Anamod660 / Fairchild 670 test
Old 30th September 2008
  #2
Lives for gear
 
dbjp's Avatar
 

Thanks, RB. Downloading!
Old 30th September 2008
  #3
Thank you much. I've been interested in hearing how the Anamod sounded.
Old 30th September 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

Thank you for your effort Roundbadge.
Old 1st October 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Tubthumper's Avatar
 

Cheers RB.
Old 1st October 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
Nice, would be interesting to listen
Thx thumbsupthumbsup
Old 10th February 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
PlayRadioPlay's Avatar
 

What did people end up thinking about this??
Old 10th February 2009
  #9
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
I still use it all the time.best FC emulation I've heard.
Old 10th February 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
A LaMere's Avatar
 

yah.. from the clips I've heard... it's certainly worth the purchase price.

Dang.

Thanks for posting the clips!! it's appreciated.
Old 10th February 2009
  #11
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by A LaMere View Post
yah.. from the clips I've heard... it's certainly worth the purchase price.

Dang.

Thanks for posting the clips!! it's appreciated.
Glad to help
Old 10th February 2009
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
alexkemp's Avatar
 

I bought a pair and checked them out, but wound up returning them.

They're right on, great sounding limiters, but for my work flow-- not that good. I found that they were very touchy, you really needed to spend a calm moment getting those tiny knobs in exactly the right spot-- and if you go to far, you're effed! Love them on vocals and kick and snare, didn't do anything good for bass. Liked them on the overs and piano. You just can't move too fast.

If I mixed through outboard I would've kept them, but since I need to work ITB (except for a mastering chain) they just weren't the right boxes for me. Good boxes though.
Old 10th February 2009
  #13
Gear Nut
 

thanks roundbadge, this thing sound amazing. i used to have regular access to a fairchild 670 and since then, i've been looking for a suitable replacement. i think this could be it - it's almost 100% accurate - and what a nice treat that it's only about $3000 for 2 channels. i just hope they don't release a 670 stereo rack soon, in which case i'll wish i waited. i'd love to hear what a pair of them could do to a mix!
Old 10th February 2009
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
fuddfar's Avatar
 

We use our 660 all the time, mostly on vocals in the mix where our 670 is strapped across the 2 bus. They sound amazingly similar.
Old 10th February 2009
  #15
Gear Nut
 

yeah, i've used a 670 a lot, but never a 660; i imagined them to be nearly identical anyway, judging by what i've heard and read. what i really meant was that, since i don't have any 500 series units, i'd hate to go through the trouble of buying a 500 rack and a pair of anamod 660s only to have a rackable 670 come out soon after - which i'd much rather use. nothing against the 500 series, i just haven't seen enough of them i want to fill a lunchbox - and the racks that hold 2 units are horizontal and the 660s would be lying sideways. maybe they make horizontal units, i wonder.
Old 10th February 2009
  #16
Old 10th February 2009
  #17
Gear Addict
 
ToneRanger's Avatar
 

Problems setting up?

Anyone else having the same trouble as alexkemp setting the unit up?

I'm looking for a simple to use character piece for my lunchbox, to be used when tracking and for dealing with some tracks (mainly e-drums) later on.

I won't have that much control or able to monitor properly when tracking, this is the case with any guitars and vocals, so a comp with the possibility to screw up things badly would not be a good idea.

I'd think the Anamod with only a couple of controls would be easy to use but is this not the case?
Old 11th February 2009
  #18
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneRanger View Post
Anyone else having the same trouble as alexkemp setting the unit up?
Sure the knobs are small[compared to a real 660] but I've never had a prob setting it up/getting sounds fast .no worse than say an API 525 or Tonelux comp,etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneRanger View Post
I won't have that much control or able to monitor properly when tracking, this is the case with any guitars and vocals, so a comp with the possibility to screw up things badly would not be a good idea.
You mean w/ headphones?
Not being able to monitor stuff properly is a losing battleespecially w/ extra processing like eq/compression
Old 11th February 2009
  #19
Lives for gear
 
PlayRadioPlay's Avatar
 

What about the Anamod 660 vs. Fairchild emulation plugins? Is it worth buying this physical emulation when they're so many cheaper software emus out there?

I just purchased my first 500 rack, so the Anamod sounds tempting. But if UAD, Bombfactory, or others do it just as well in software versions, those seem like cheaper options.
Old 11th February 2009
  #20
Gear Maniac
 
spockstudio's Avatar
 

cant believe how good those Anamods sound. Thanks for posting the files.
Old 11th February 2009
  #21
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gloves View Post
yeah, i've used a 670 a lot, but never a 660; i imagined them to be nearly identical anyway, judging by what i've heard and read. what i really meant was that, since i don't have any 500 series units, i'd hate to go through the trouble of buying a 500 rack and a pair of anamod 660s only to have a rackable 670 come out soon after - which i'd much rather use. nothing against the 500 series, i just haven't seen enough of them i want to fill a lunchbox - and the racks that hold 2 units are horizontal and the 660s would be lying sideways. maybe they make horizontal units, i wonder.
This is my dilemma too. This is probably the first 500 series thing I really wanted. I'd much rather a 2 or 3RU stereo rack... unless I suddenly acquire gear lust for other 500 series stuff... which is likely once I've acquired a lunch box, but I dare not tread down that path. Curse the 500 series ... whoever likened it to collecting baseball cards is right.
Old 11th February 2009
  #22
Gear Addict
 
ToneRanger's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Sure the knobs are small[compared to a real 660] but I've never had a prob setting it up/getting sounds fast .no worse than say an API 525 or Tonelux comp,etc.



You mean w/ headphones?
Not being able to monitor stuff properly is a losing battleespecially w/ extra processing like eq/compression
Thanks for the comments and information, RoundBadge.

Regarding the monitoring I have a one room setup so setting up the comp when tracking vocals and electric guitars is by trial and error. Not total crap shoot but nearly. I currently have Purple Action, which can really screw up sounds if set up badly, but I've been yet able to avoid any big catastrophies

Having a separate control room is not going to happen for me plus I record myself quite often so it wouldn't help either way.. just to give you some background of my situation.

My goal is to add some sweetening plus the character of the pieces when going in and supplement with plugs later on. Maybe take something out and process it thru the outboard again.

The main question for me is, since I have the UAD Fairchild, does the Anamod posses some magic the UAD does not have? It being a simulation as well, can I wait for any iron/character/mojo in the sound just passing thru witout adding too much compression?

Be so kind, help me out here
Old 12th February 2009
  #23
Gear Addict
 
ToneRanger's Avatar
 

Bump!!
Old 12th February 2009
  #24
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneRanger View Post
Thanks for the comments and information, RoundBadge.

Regarding the monitoring I have a one room setup so setting up the comp when tracking vocals and electric guitars is by trial and error. Not total crap shoot but nearly. I currently have Purple Action, which can really screw up sounds if set up badly, but I've been yet able to avoid any big catastrophies

Having a separate control room is not going to happen for me plus I record myself quite often so it wouldn't help either way.. just to give you some background of my situation.

My goal is to add some sweetening plus the character of the pieces when going in and supplement with plugs later on. Maybe take something out and process it thru the outboard again.

The main question for me is, since I have the UAD Fairchild, does the Anamod posses some magic the UAD does not have? It being a simulation as well, can I wait for any iron/character/mojo in the sound just passing thru witout adding too much compression?

Be so kind, help me out here
sounds like it from what i've heard. i've been researching them, but there's not much left to do other than order a pair. i guess today's the day.
Old 12th February 2009
  #25
Aw man. I chose the anamod blind on vox and drums. I've been holding off on a 500 rack but that may be the kiss of death. You suck roundbadge!



[seriously though man, thanks for going to the trouble. Much appreciated! Missed it first time around!]
Old 12th February 2009
  #26
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimskidog View Post
Aw man. I chose the anamod blind on vox and drums. I've been holding off on a 500 rack but that may be the kiss of death. You suck roundbadge!



[seriously though man, thanks for going to the trouble. Much appreciated! Missed it first time around!]
i've been holding off too, but make no mistake, this is the kiss of death. then i started hearing about this ma5 pre... time for an api 10-slot big boys. i'm thinking:

2 x ma5
2 x e27
2 x am660
2 x derresser

and i'd love two channels of an 1176-type comp. i really wanted it to be the purple action, but people say they're not identical to the mc77, which is a shame. maybe the api does a full-power FET. i don't even have a 500 rack yet, but these things are already the sluttiest!
Old 16th February 2009
  #27
Lives for gear
 
heyman's Avatar
I am happy to say that I am now the owner of a pair of Anamod 660's..!

Roundbadge, thanks for your 660/fairchild tests. It is appreciated.

New project starting this week.
Cant wait to put em thru the paces..


...
Old 17th February 2009
  #28
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
I am happy to say that I am now the owner of a pair of Anamod 660's..!

Roundbadge, thanks for your 660/fairchild tests. It is appreciated.

New project starting this week.
Cant wait to put em thru the paces..


...

wherever the 660 sound is needed, these will surely suffice.
they stomp any plug version I've heard
Old 17th February 2009
  #29
Gear Maniac
 

Hey, has anyone tried a pair of them on the mix buss yet? I'm curious about that; getting them regardless though. I started a separate thread for AM660 mix issues: AM660 on the mix buss
Old 14th June 2014
  #30
Lives for gear
 
AudioGaff's Avatar
Old thread I know, but was wondering if anyone had thoughts or experience on comparing the Anamod 660 vs the Brute? Does the Anamod offer the extra tone flexibility expected due the preset capability? Does the Brute have the heavier thicker weight as far as tone.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
raal / Product Alerts older than 2 months
736
Guidotoons / High End
1
Dirty Halo / High End
3
Dutchmuzik / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump