The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Dynaudio BM5p and BM6p x entry models of ADAMs
Old 14th March 2003
Lives for gear

Dynaudio BM5p and BM6p x entry models of ADAMs

Hi!
some questions concerning monitors... I promise it will not become a thread bashing the Wackies! LOL

I am seriously considering the purchase of some nicer monitors them my current ones, the awful but ith good tranlsation Monitor Ones from Alesis. Seems with either BM%, BM6 and ADAMs any fool know that it is a giant leap!

a) Besides power handling, what can I be missing if I buy BM% instead of BM6? I don´t need mid field or a PA in front of my sweet spot!
b) Will it be a sin if I use the passive models with an amp like PA150 Tascam or Alesis RA150?
c) Would you go to the ADAMs entry models? Unfortunately, there is no delaer of ADAMS in Bazil, although theeyr tech department in the USA have been very nice to me.

Thanks
Nice weekend to all
Old 15th March 2003
Lives for gear

whatever you buy ... try them first is a rule. Monitor choice is very personal. Trying them does not mean listening them and comparing them with commercial CD's from your CD rack. Sure ... that's the first step ... but don't rely on that. It doesn't mean a thing realy. Make some mixes on them and see what you can produce the best mixes on. Compare fatigue levels ... does one tend to wear your ears more then the other over longer periods of time for example.

Both Dynaudio an ADAMS make great monitors. both are hyped all over the internet. As there are others. Genelec / JBL / whatever ....

I know guys who produce great mixes on NS10's .... personally I hate them.

It also is very depending on your needs / roomsize / ...

Personally I find the BM6A's a better choice then the BM5. Be it merely because they're active. With a great ampl the 5's are probably fine too. Both are rather small though and would need IMHO a sub to go with them if seriously considered as a main source to mix on.

I cannot speak for the ADAMS but I guess with the smaller ones I guess it's the same story. One simply has little or no control of what goes on in the bass freq's with small size speakers like that.

just a few thoughts
Old 15th March 2003
Lives for gear

thnaks Chris!

Chris, here is hard to find a place to test all this gear. I agree with you in your ideas. I also got rid of my NS10´s. Guys from teh Ro said I am crazy. However, I just could no mix properly with the NS10´s. After a few weeks, I had already learned them, but listening fatigue was a pain. Withthe Monitor Ones, cheap from alesis, I was able to achieve better results, although lots of great albums were done with NS10s.
I don´t think I will need the sub for the BM5, my room is not that big.

Have any other guys used the BM5?
Also, aren´t the BM6 more suited for near to midfield applications?
Thanks
Nice weekend
Old 15th March 2003
Lives for gear

Re: thnaks Chris!

Quote:
Originally posted by Alécio Costa
Also, aren´t the BM6 more suited for near to midfield applications?

I wouldn't call a BM6 a midfield ...
Old 16th March 2003
Lives for gear

Oh sorry Chris! In fact the BM15 model is called that way, not BM5/6!
LOL
Old 16th March 2003
Alecio, I owned the BM5's for a number of years and now mix on BM6A's (had KRK's in between tutt ). There is a vast difference between the 5's and 6A's. If you can afford it, and decide that Dynaudio is the route for you, I would highly recommend saving for the 6A's. They are a much more accurate speaker; the highs are wonderfully detailed and the bass, while not ridiculously low, is very accurate. They aren't fatiguing, either! yuktyy
Old 16th March 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks Bleen1 But do you use these monitors also for mastering?
ARE THE bm5´S MISSING SOMETHING?
Old 16th March 2003
I have used them both - reluctantly - for mastering (I'd rather send my clients to a true mastering house).

The BM5's are just not responsive enough and have a narrower frequency response, I found. The highs are much more accurate on the BM6A's, due to the much better tweeter. I find the crossover point on the BM6A's to be smoother, as well.
Old 16th March 2003
Lives for gear

tHANKS bLEEN!
Nice weekend!
Old 8th April 2004
Lives for gear

just out of curiosity, what would you say is a decent price on a pair of used BM6A's? They seem to be hard to find used to begin with, but as most places sell them new for $1699, would you say $1200 is a good deal? I'm itching to get a pair...
Old 8th April 2004
Gear Addict

I have the passives with a hafler amp. I think they sound great and my mixes have never translated better. I read somewhere that one of the dynaudio reps actually preferred the passives with a good amp to the actives. I personally can comment on that, but I wouldn't pass up the passives just because you expect the actives to sound better. I got the passives for $800, which leaves a hell of a lot of money to get a good amp to get to the active's price point. Even a $200 amp will work and sound much better than you think with those speakers, which together will be $1000, less than a new set of mackies and far better in my opinion.

Brandon
Old 8th April 2004
Lives for gear

Ditto what Brandon said.
I've got the Bm6 and a Hafler P3000 and really starting to like The Dynaudios.
The 6s are most definitely a nearfield.
I'm sure the Adams are great but to get into the S3a you are looking at about 4x the price.
Old 8th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Saucyjack
I'm sure the Adams are great but to get into the S3a you are looking at about 4x the price.
The comparable ADAM model (size, specs, price) to the BM6A would be the P11-A.

dB
ADAM Audio USA
Old 8th April 2004
Lives for gear

[Slight OT mode]
I'm just curious to hear S3As are expensive. I mean if you are not a kid in a post comunist country or somewhere from africa or so I don't think $4000-5000 is expensive when we are talking about the most important gear you have. For average American, German, French... this is funny price I think. Well I know you are from Brasil and I admit I don't know much about your country economy, so I'm leaving it on the side, but I'm very surpriced whenever guy from US complaints about $4500 speaker is tooo expensive...
[/Slight OT mode]

Old 8th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by krou
just out of curiosity, what would you say is a decent price on a pair of used BM6A's? They seem to be hard to find used to begin with, but as most places sell them new for $1699, would you say $1200 is a good deal? I'm itching to get a pair...
krou, FWIW I just picked up a pair for a great price new. I can forward the info private if you like. It's through a bud at a major chain store.
Old 9th April 2004
Lives for gear

I like the Dynaudio BM6's but I like the PMC TB2's even more, and there's not much difference in price when we're talking about passive versions. If your target budget is around $1000 for a pair of passive monitors be absolutely sure to get an audition of the TB2's before parting with your cash. (Read my User Review of the TB2's here.)
Old 9th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
krou, FWIW I just picked up a pair for a great price new. I can forward the info private if you like. It's through a bud at a major chain store.
thanks!
Old 2nd May 2004
Lives for gear

i'm looking to get some bm6a's...
but what's this about getting the passives and then grabbing an amp? are the passives really 'better' than the actives???
Old 7th May 2004
Lives for gear

I like the BM6's a lot and as previous posters have remarked, they seem to work well with a not-too-expensive amp, meaning you could save some cash there if budget is really tight over the active version.

But I think PMC make better monitors; a pair of TB2's and you'll never look back, price is around €1000 (passive version), and unlike the BM6's you can upgrade the TB2's to actives (with awesome Bryston amps) later when budget allows.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about distribution in Brazil though - best to contact both companies direct.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search