The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BA 1073 and SSL Comp 500 Series Preamps
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

BA 1073 and SSL Comp

I'm looking at getting a BA 1073 and possibly E channel strip. My question is are there equal quality 500 series units with the same characteristics to achieve this or should I go with my original plan.

I guess I should say I have an a2d right now and would use the a/d on that for the time being.
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

No.

Some will say the MA5 and others the great river but NOTHING sounds like the pre/eq unit (its the COMBINATION of pre and eq that makes it so great). Nothing. IF you have never heard one and are chasing forum posts, you will be happy with either one and stop worrying about it.

IF you know what a 1073 sounds like then you have IMHO 3 options-
BAE
AMS
Vintage

Now beware of the 500 series "Uber Patrol" to come along and tell you that 500 series will save the US economy once A Designs finishes the "Dow up 500 eq" as well as the Anamod convert human waste into gasoline with the "Unleaded Green Comp"...

Around here its like they just invented the 500 series and its going to change the world...
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

if you are after a standard sound... Go for the 1073 and SSL comp.

If you want something different, there are tons of options with 500 series. Tons of options that sound totally killer, but aren't the classic never or ssl sound. i dig things that aren't the traditional standards.

For the price of a 1073 and ssl compressor... you could get 2 p1's, 2 empeq or 550a or tonic, etc, and 2 purple fet compressors in your lunchbox.
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Addict

BA 1073 and SSL Comp

Stevedresser83 -- We own some BAE 1073's and an SSL E Channel, in addition to several other Pre's, EQ,s and Compressors (Shadow Hills Quad Gama, GML, Chandler TG2, NPNG , API 3124, Mercury etc..). The SSL E Channel is the least used item in the rack (it was pretty expensive when I purchased it $3500, although prices have come down to $31xx, it's still pretty expensive). In contrast, the BAE 1073's are extremely versatile, get a lot of use and do a very good job on many things -- Vox, E Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Drums and Bass. I can highly recommend the BAE 1073 due to it's overall quality and multi-purpose application. If I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't have purchased the SSL. I could have made better use of that money.

IMO the choice to go lunchbox format -vs- rack has a lot to do with what your needs are at this time i.e. if you need the flexibility to track instruments in multiple locations, the lunchbox format definitely offers portability, which is a big plus. I purchased 2 API 3124's (rackmounts) and if I had to do it over, I may have purchased the lunchbox BAE 312's or API 312's (great for tracking drums and guitars especially). It really depends on what your needs are at this time i.e. what type of band or music you are going to be recording and what other gear you own. I hope this helps.
Old 4th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold View Post
No.

Some will say the MA5 and others the great river but NOTHING sounds like the pre/eq unit (its the COMBINATION of pre and eq that makes it so great). Nothing. IF you have never heard one and are chasing forum posts, you will be happy with either one and stop worrying about it.

BAE
AMS
Vintage

Now beware of the 500 series "Uber Patrol" to come along and tell you that 500 series will save the US economy once A Designs finishes the "Dow up 500 eq" as well as the Anamod convert human waste into gasoline with the "Unleaded Green Comp"...

Around here its like they just invented the 500 series and its going to change the world...
The MA5 will sound like a 1073 without the EQ engaged.

With that said, it's great to have EQ.... BAE just unveiled the BAE 1023 which is an improvement on the 1073 and offers lots more frequency chocies.
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
an improvement on the 1073
uh oh... (runs for the lifeboat)
Old 5th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseJim View Post
uh oh... (runs for the lifeboat)
For anyone who has seen it, the reasons are obvious. It's literally a 1073 with a bunch of more frequencies.
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear
Sorry, dude, but "blah, blah, blah"...I've owned a BAE and a reissue Neve. The BAE was a little darker and the Neve had more top. The closest thing I've found to sounding as good as the vintage 1073's I've used is the Avedis MA5. No hype. Try one.
BTW, Tony - what is the pre in the new 1023? Is Avedis involved with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold View Post
No.

BAE
AMS
Vintage

Old 5th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
BTW, Tony - what is the pre in the new 1023? Is Avedis involved with this?
Yes, Avedis did the redesign of the 1073 for the new 1023.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search