The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 Series to good to be true? Equalizer Plugins
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

500 Series to good to be true?

Ok,

The 500 series seems to good to be true. What are the downsides of this modular approach?
Old 23rd September 2008
You'll end up spending too much money mostly.
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

I am just wondering if they sonically stand up to stand alone units?
Old 23rd September 2008
For those that have a rack mounted equivalent, I think that they do, and some are electrically identical. Most of them though are just their own beasts so there's no direct comparison to a rack mount device of the same exact type. But, as with rack mounted gear, the best stuff sounds very good.
Old 23rd September 2008
500 series nutjob

it is addictive!
some units are pricier then others but as a whole i don't see the format costing more, for me it has been much more affordable and i can get a unit here and their, when my wife is not looking!
one power supply for everything in a given lunchbox or rack.
i keep a extra power supply around, i would at least have a two slot rack or something similar for back up.

having said this, i have not had any power supply problems, and i have API, A-Designs, Brent Averill, and OSA.

the knobs can be tight on some units, but not as bad as some of the other gear i have seen.

i think the 500 format is about the best cost effective, mobile field gear, space saving system on the market!
a win win from my prospective.
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicll View Post
I am just wondering if they sonically stand up to stand alone units?
If you're talking about P-1 vs. Pacifica, MP-500NV vs. MP-1NV, Germ 500 vs. Germ rack, etc., it's been discussed before on here.

If you're talking about pure sonic qualities, I can tell you my 500-series gear is really my most colored gear, by design, and just as big and real sounding as my standard rack gear. I definitely don't think of it as lesser gear.

Stu
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
You'll end up spending too much money mostly.
This is not true, however you may if you pay full price...

Anyways the 500 series is really great, i personally like both P-1 and 512c better than the rack issues of Pacifica and the 3124+, even though they are to close to talk about, however some of us would fight between the two, ive had both and my mixes sound better with the 500 series.
Plus if i get ready to head out of a remote i do not have to un rack...
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Guru

Two units that do sound different from their rackmount bretheren is the purple action vs the MC77[my preference] & P1 vs Pacifica.Haven't compared the GR..but I'd imagine they got it right
Overall the 500 format is very cool..especially if space is at a premium in your room
Really dig the Tonelux format.compact and sonically really good.
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear
I've run through pretty much everything that can be rack-mounted...BAE 1073, Wunder PEQ2, Chandler TG2 and Channel, Neve 1073, Pacifica, Aurora GTQ - the list goes on...and I just bought a Avedis MA5 and a Mono Gama. There are some great pieces in that list (GTQ, BAE), but I have to say the Avedis stands up to ANY of them. It's a fantastic pre. I've really only played with the Nickel x-former on the Mono Gama, but it has a little less bottom and more top - APIish. Really, really nice. After all the stuff I've tried out, I can vouch that this stuff more than holds it's own - the Avedis might be my favorite (no eq) 1073 sounding pre I've tried (although the EQ is nice on the Neve and BAE)...
Old 23rd September 2008
Quote:
This is not true, however you may if you pay full price...
I meant that in the good sense, i.e. you'll like them a lot and buy more than you probably should.
Old 23rd September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
the Avedis might be my favorite (no eq) 1073 sounding pre I've tried (although the EQ is nice on the Neve and BAE)...
I agree.
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
i.e. you'll like them a lot and buy more than you probably should.
lol you got that right. heh
Old 23rd September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
I meant that in the good sense, i.e. you'll like them a lot and buy more than you probably should.
dido
the addiction factor!
Old 23rd September 2008
500 series peamps are cool if you get the right ones...but stay away from the compressors at ALL costs!!!!
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

I like the 500 series format, but i dont know why some people think its new... its been out there for ages...
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

I have a 6b filled with 512's. I love the sound but I actually hate the lunchbox itself. I designed a retrofit shelf to mount the 6b in my rack. Now I don't hate the lunchbox as much.
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaberocker View Post
500 series peamps are cool if you get the right ones...but stay away from the compressors at ALL costs!!!!
WTF?
Old 23rd September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
WTF?
HA i new i'd catch hell for that one! I guess the truth is i am not good enough to use them right!! OK Ok well to be honest i tried ONE and it left a bad taste...BMD. Yikes i'm going to hide now!!!

I guess i'm not experienced enough to make that judgement call!
Please ignore my non-sense...
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
HA i new i'd catch hell for that one! I guess the truth is i am not good enough to use them right!! OK Ok well to be honest i tried ONE and it left a bad taste...BMD. Yikes i'm going to hide now!!!

I LOVE that compressor! What gives? It takes a minute to learn how to use it, but it's pretty amazing.
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

I love my Purple Actions!
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Head

Quote:

Hmmm. I never tried a 500 series comp yet. I have too many 19" comps as it is. I guess you wouldn't be able to tell me which one to stay away from?
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Head

The only down side is that gear isnt coming out fast enough for it! lol
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Addict

i love my great river!!!!
Old 23rd September 2008
SK1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
I have a 6b filled with 512's. I love the sound but I actually hate the lunchbox itself. I designed a retrofit shelf to mount the 6b in my rack. Now I don't hate the lunchbox as much.
Get a 10 space api rack then or the averill 11 space and you won't have to deal with the sloppy rack mounting.

I have the API 10 space w/ 4 550b, 2 560b, 2 avedis E27 and 2 vintage api 525s..
The eq's are like crack. I've just started to scratch the surface with the avedis, but so far so good . I'm thinking about getting some a designs peq's along with a lunchbox to start the next batch of 500 series stuff.

I sometimes dream about having a killer laptop,mobile setup with some 500 pres to record in all the best acoustic spaces I can find.

I guess I'm saying I'm sold

Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
I've run through pretty much everything that can be rack-mounted...BAE 1073, Wunder PEQ2, Chandler TG2 and Channel, Neve 1073, Pacifica, Aurora GTQ - the list goes on...and I just bought a Avedis MA5 and a Mono Gama. There are some great pieces in that list (GTQ, BAE), but I have to say the Avedis stands up to ANY of them. It's a fantastic pre. I've really only played with the Nickel x-former on the Mono Gama, but it has a little less bottom and more top - APIish. Really, really nice. After all the stuff I've tried out, I can vouch that this stuff more than holds it's own - the Avedis might be my favorite (no eq) 1073 sounding pre I've tried (although the EQ is nice on the Neve and BAE)...
Interesting, as I myself has been pondering a lot about getting pairs of the MA5 and the Mono Gama as our project studios main/only high end pres. Guess they togheter can cover a lot of bases. But still cannot let the idea of the TG2 go, the descriptions by users just seems to fit my tastes, and I love the character I heard when using the TG1 compressor (yes, I understand that the pre and comp is not the same, but they are said to share some tonal attributes).

Care to elaborate on your experiences/the differences between the TG2 and the Neve clones, esp MA5, perhaps also in relation to being used as main preamps for vox, el. guit, snare, kick and bass in a project studio environment??
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

I am new to the world of high end pre amps. My first one was a Ua solo 610. Then i got a Focusrite Isa One which i eventually returned in favor of getting a lunchbox. This is a move i have not regretted in the least. The Isa one was Good, but since i got an Ma5, i have been i love.... I have never tried a Neve pre, but people say the Ma5 sounds close to it, and like i said, i have no complaints. Ma5 sounds amazing on Vocals, also amazing on acoustic guitars. Those are the only two source i have used it on so far, but it has blown me away on both.
Old 23rd September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Quote:

if one did not do it for you, return that bad boy and try another: )~
their are some wicked great compressor in this format, and more on their way!
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
if one did not do it for you, return that bad boy and try another: )~
their are some wicked great compressor in this format, and more on their way!
Pan, will that 500 seires rack/mixer be ready for AES?
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texum View Post
Interesting, as I myself has been pondering a lot about getting pairs of the MA5 and the Mono Gama as our project studios main/only high end pres. Guess they together can cover a lot of bases. But still cannot let the idea of the TG2 go, the descriptions by users just seems to fit my tastes, and I love the character I heard when using the TG1 compressor (yes, I understand that the pre and comp is not the same, but they are said to share some tonal attributes).

Care to elaborate on your experiences/the differences between the TG2 and the Neve clones, esp MA5, perhaps also in relation to being used as main preamps for vox, el. guit, snare, kick and bass in a project studio environment??
I have four Mono GAMAs and absolutely love them. I haven't found anything they don't sound good on. I highly recommend them. I really want to play around with the Atlas Juggernaut's though. I hear great things about them and want to hear some clips of them in action.
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Two units that do sound different from their rackmount bretheren is the purple action vs the MC77[my preference] & P1 vs Pacifica.

I don't believe either is exactly like their full size counterpart. Different transformers and a different amp in the case of the Purple compressors. I'm glad the Action is a bit different. I bought one with the intention of returning it if it sounded too much like my 1176. I still have the Action.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search