The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pendulum Audio OCL-2 and/or Buzz Audio SOC 1.1
Old 8th May 2005
Gear Nut

Pendulum Audio OCL-2 and/or Buzz Audio SOC 1.1

I have seen each of these devices discussed individually on the forum and must say I am quite intrigued by both however, it does not appear anyone has directly compared the two thus far. I was a bit surprised by this considering how similar the two are (in principal at least). I was wondering how many of you out there have used both and what your opinion of each is? Even if you have only used one or the other please chime in with your opinions. I would like to know what everyone feels are the pros and cons of both compressors.

thanks,
vandi
Old 11th May 2005
Gear Nut

no one?
Old 11th May 2005

Yeah, I'm interested too!
Old 11th May 2005
Gear Nut

me 2!
Old 11th May 2005
Lives for gear

I'll take either one for free !
Old 12th May 2005
To me , both of em is in the same ballpark. Smooth opto.... You can clearly hear the tubes in the Pendulum.....

I bought the SOC.....
Old 12th May 2005
Lives for gear

I can only say that the buzz has been definately one of the best buys I've done in the last decade. Both as a bus compressor as on individual sources. Tracking or mixing .... there's hasn't been a mix since I didn't somehow use it on and I never seem to have enough .... (I only have one )

The thing I maybe like about it the most is that it is so responsive, which makes it a very easy device to use ... you hear every little change you make. Which definately can't be said of some of the plugins out there for example where it doesn't seem to matter much wether you set your ratio to a zillion to 1 or to 2:1 other then you see the meters in the plugin change .
Old 12th May 2005
Lives for gear

The Pendulum can compress faster then any other cell compressor I have heard. It is a sweet box. Although, I have no experience with BUZZ.
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Nut

surely there must be someone out there that has compared both?
Old 15th June 2005

Vandi, I think Lindell has compared them, see his post above.

Tim.
Old 15th June 2005
Has he? When i bought mine, he had me send some clips over, but I wasn't aware that he had actually played with an OCL-2 yet...

Gotta try me a Buzz some time, though!
Old 15th June 2005

Oh well I dunno - look - I'll just shut up and go read something else.....bye!
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

Vandi, I herewith officially anounce you as 'head of the OCL-1 / SOC 1.1 comparisson section'.

Go buy both - compare them and come back and report. heh

thanks,
Old 15th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood
Has he?
yupp, several times..... Never tried on the mixbus tho...
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

Like Chris, I have to say that the Buzz has been an outstanding purchase for me. I haven't heard the Pendulum, but I have some very nice compressors in my place (Daking, 1969, Distressor etc) and if I had to save one in a fire it would probably be the Buzz. For me it excels on smooth, transparent vocal compression and bass, and I've also had some great rock acoustic guitar sounds out of it as well. It's ALSO excellent on the 2-buss, although my Drawmer and/or Avalon tend to live there now, with the Buzz on bass in the mix.

My only gripe is that mine is an early one with the blue legending, which is hard to read in my room. However, Tim has dealt with this by changing it to white - and I know my way round the thing in the dark by now anyway!!

I'm seriously considering a second one, actually.
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

I also have the SOC 1.1. Will never sell it. Outstanding opto.
Old 15th June 2005
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant
Oh well I dunno - look - I'll just shut up and go read something else.....bye!

How is going with the new mastering comp?
Old 15th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell
yupp, several times..... Never tried on the mixbus tho...
Well there you go!

Thanks Lindell.

Don't go away, Tim!
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Vandi, I herewith officially anounce you as 'head of the OCL-1 / SOC 1.1 comparisson section'.
I'm seriously considering doing so. It will have to wait until next week when I get back from Portland but once I do I will let everyone know.

stay tuned,
vandi
Old 17th June 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardo
How is going with the new mastering comp?
Hi Riccardo, thanks for asking, the Mastering Compressor project has taken a very interesting turn!

Luckily we received our Trade NZ grant to help with prototype development so I am heading forth on this and another related product - all will be revealed soon!
Tim.
Old 17th June 2005
Mastering Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant
Hi Riccardo, thanks for asking, the Mastering Compressor project has taken a very interesting turn!

Luckily we received our Trade NZ grant to help with prototype development so I am heading forth on this and another related product - all will be revealed soon!
Tim.
thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search