The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
bigben 002 wordclock
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

bigben 002 wordclock

i plan on getting an apogee big ben for my studio. i have quite a few digital devices and i would really benefit from the simplicity and stability of having a master clock. i seen online that there are bnc to rca adapters. the thought crossed my mind, why dont i just make a cable bnc to rca and use the spdif input on my 002 essentially as a word clock input. i dont used it for anything else. i am not going to screw anything up by sending only word clock and no audio in this input, am i? are there any impedance issues?

thanks
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Addict

ummm

hello,

umm, i'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way.

userofgear
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Big Ben can output wordclock on both S/PDIF RCA and Optical. It can also output wordclock via the optical port as an ADAT signal. Your 002 will take sync from any of those 3 sources.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

just noticed the big ben has spdif outs. thought it was all word clock. sweet, sorry for the useless post...
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

for the record doesnt spdif and adat carry word clock?
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghous View Post
for the record doesnt spdif and adat carry word clock?
Yes, S/PDIF and ADAT carry word clock.
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Addict

umm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw-Tracks View Post
Yes, S/PDIF and ADAT carry word clock.
hello,

but i believe you do not want to plug straight word clock [no audio signal] into a spidf input.

userofgear
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by userofgear View Post
hello,

but i believe you do not want to plug straight word clock [no audio signal] into a spidf input.

userofgear
Well, the S/PDIF out of the Big Ben would not have audio and it carries clock that the 002 can sync to from the 002's S?PDIF input.

But, if you're going back to your original question of adapting the BNC word clock signal to and RCA to into the 002, I really don't know if that will work as I haven't ever tried. My guess is that it will not work.
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Because I am a good samaritan I just hooked my big ben into my rosetta 200 using spdif and it locks to the big ben just fine even though the anolog i/o is XLR and digital I/O is AES. You just select spdif as the source for clock. I would assume that it would work the same for the 002. An audio signal, in the sense of "music" does not need to be present for the embedded digital word clock signal to be read.
I was also voted worst engineer 2005, 2006 and runner up in 2007... so it may cause your 002 to explode
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Addict

very good goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteve View Post
Because I am a good samaritan I just hooked my big ben into my rosetta 200 using spdif and it locks to the big ben just fine even though the anolog i/o is XLR and digital I/O is AES. You just select spdif as the source for clock. I would assume that it would work the same for the 002. An audio signal, in the sense of "music" does not need to be present for the embedded digital word clock signal to be read.
I was also voted worst engineer 2005, 2006 and runner up in 2007... so it may cause your 002 to explode
hello,

i think there is a way for it to work, but maybe it is not the best idea or something. it has always been explained to me that using aes or spdif as a clock source is more susceptible to jitter and so forth. i would have to look back and check on it, but i am pretty sure there is a word clock input separate from a spdif input for a reason. i am not so sure that the type of connector necessarily makes a difference. i have seen word clock using xlr connectors pretty often. you can also have aes on an rca connector actually.

clearly someone is going to have to do extreme and extensive research to solve this extraordinarily puzzling dilemma.

userofgear
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

i wish i could just use my apogee ensemble with pro tools. damn digi!!!! heh
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Addict

why not?

Quote:
i wish i could just use my apogee ensemble with pro tools. damn digi!!!! heh
hello,

can't you just hook it up aes?

userofgear
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

aes on the 002? there is only spdif and adat on the 002. i do have my ensemble connected via adat to my 002, however, my post above was reffering to using my ensemble directly with protools, no 002 required.
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Addict

sorry, i didn't understand you

Quote:
aes on the 002? there is only spdif and adat on the 002. i do have my ensemble connected via adat to my 002, however, my post above was reffering to using my ensemble directly with protools, no 002 required.
hello,

sorry, i wasn't following the posts right, i guess. i don't think digidesign is going to make it easy to do something like that with le. from what people say, the le software is kind of just a way for them to sell the hardware. you could use it with logic though, right? and that has a record delay parameter and some delay compensation.

userofgear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search