The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bock Audio 5-Zero-& Large Diaphram Tube Mic Condenser Microphones
Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

Bock Audio 5-Zero-& Large Diaphram Tube Mic

This looks pretty cool...$7K.

TRANSAUDIO LAUNCHES NEW ELLIPTICAL BOCK AUDIO 5-ZERO-7 MICROPHONE
Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

Very interesting...
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

I heard this first hand at the Audio Underground Roadshow in Sacramento a couple weekends ago. David Bock had placed it on a vocalist who was also playing acoustic guitar. First it was placed about nose height, about 8" away angled slightly downward. Then the mic was pulled back about a foot or so to capture both simultaneously. The preamp was a True Precision unit. I have to say this was the most impressive microphone I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. It was so 3D and lifelike. If someone was actually recording what was being performed, they literally could have burned a CD and I would have thought it was final product.

If there was ever a reason to save up $7000 for a microphone I think this is it.

After hearing this microphone I was inspired to go home and make more recordings using my neglected large diaphragm tube mics....like my U99.

Brad

Last edited by BradM; 17th September 2008 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 17th September 2008
David makes some of the best mics in the world.
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

My brain just had a total meltdown tryin to figure out how I could buy this thing! You've heard of someone's life flashing before their eyes... well my entire financial portfolio just flashed before mine!

-SD
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Love the retro silver&chrome paint job by the way! very neobuckrogers

-SD
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

the only real contender of a u47 is a wagner and the new flea ready made mics

47 / EF12 Custom - FLEA-MICROPHONES - Studio-Mikrofone - Recording - Just Music
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

and its not from a sales man perspective

if i need a true 47 emulation

only wagner and flea are the ones too go

but lets see meaby the bocks have realisted the past problems related too soundelux
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

I think we all know RawBeanZen is going to buy it. We'll have to ask him how he likes it.
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpark View Post
So you've tried the Bock 5 Zero 7, and know it doesn't sound like a great 47?
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
I heard this first hand at the Audio Underground Roadshow in Sacramento a couple weekends ago. David Bock had placed it on a vocalist who was also playing acoustic guitar. First it was placed about nose height, about 8" away angled slightly downward. Then the mic was pulled back about a foot or so to capture both simultaneously. The preamp was a True Precision unit. I have to say this was the most impressive microphone I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. It was so 3D and lifelike. If someone was actually recording what was being performed, they literally could have burned a CD and I would have thought it was final product.

If there was ever a reason to save up $7000 for a microphone I think this is it.

After hearing this microphone I was inspired to go home and make more recordings using my neglected large diaphragm tube mics....like my U99.

Brad
Brad,

Would you say that the sound fo the mic was tonally neutral, or did it have a particular character?

thanks
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

first if your read my post you see that i never tryd it yed.

i know from my past experience that soundelux or bock mics are overpriced china mics

inline with a akg c12vr

wunder have some problemes here and there(too big transformer result in noise after a coupla hrs of use ....)

if bock where interessted in the original they have too buy original m7 capsules at neumann wich are still there but only for repairing avalible,

and neumann will never sale that large amound too anybody.

also a vf14 or ef12 have too be inn there too chare the same sound with the original

like a wagner and flea all other on the marked are not that sound

but like every new produkt lets see if they done it better now !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
So you've tried the Bock 5 Zero 7, and know it doesn't sound like a great 47?
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
i know from my past experience that soundelux or bock mics are overpriced china mics

inline with a akg c12vr

I think you might be wrong here. From what I've read, all of Mr. Bock's microphones are handmade and assembled in the US, I believe using Haun capsules from Germany (same as MBHO, IIRC). Also, I've been led to believe that his 251 and 151 use transformers made by Oliver Archut at AMI/TAB-Funkenwerk, if I remember correctly.

The metal work could be done in China, but I don't know.

FWIW, I don't own any of his mics, but have read up on them a bit, as I hope to own one someday (when my gold claim makes me rich ).
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylansmale View Post
I think we all know RawBeanZen is going to buy it. We'll have to ask him how he likes it.
You won't have to ask me, because if I ever get ahold of one I'll make a recording featuring just that mic and upload it for y'all to check out.

Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

wunder have some problemes here and there(too big transformer result in noise after a coupla hrs of use ....)
Odd... I've got two Wunder CM7's and I've never experienced noise after a couple hours use with either of them.

And other than the retro quasi U47 look, I didn't see any mention of this mic trying to be a U47. The elliptical capsule precludes that right off the bat. If any comparisons are to be made, I would compare this mic to the Violet Designs Flamingo with the "Magic Ear" capsule.
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
I heard this first hand at the Audio Underground Roadshow in Sacramento a couple weekends ago.

I was there too.. this is one amazing microphone. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. The only question I have now is how to convince my wife to let me sell her car so I can buy one.

Mark
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawBeanZen View Post
You won't have to ask me, because if I ever get ahold of one I'll make a recording featuring just that mic and upload it for y'all to check out.

haha, well thats good enough for me plus extra slutyness
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Nut

I can't wait to hear this new Bock mic!
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

47 / EF12 Custom - FLEA-MICROPHONES - Studio-Mikrofone - Recording - Just Music
The 5 Zero 7 is not a U47 clone or even trying to be. It may have the same stylings but it's a completely new revolutionary capsule design (it's elliptical). The elliptical capsule minimizes in-band resonances...I hope I have that right since I'm paraphrasing what David told me.

Brad
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui_City View Post
Brad,

Would you say that the sound fo the mic was tonally neutral, or did it have a particular character?

thanks
That's hard to say since we really weren't shooting it out directly against other mics. I'd just say it sounds tonally GOOD! heh I would say it sits in a very happy place between being neutral and having character. It was just extremely musical. To my humbled ears, it didn't sound like it was trying to put its "hey look at me I'm the new 5 Zero 7" sonic stamp on the source. But maybe that's its suave M.O.

Brad
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled_Brains View Post
I think you might be wrong here. From what I've read, all of Mr. Bock's microphones are handmade and assembled in the US, I believe using Haun capsules from Germany (same as MBHO, IIRC). Also, I've been led to believe that his 251 and 151 use transformers made by Oliver Archut at AMI/TAB-Funkenwerk, if I remember correctly.

FWIW, I don't own any of his mics, but have read up on them a bit, as I hope to own one someday (when my gold claim makes me rich ).
Correct--the capsule for this new mic is being made by his German capsule manufacturer to his specs. I don't know about the transformer or metal, but it's definitely a mic assembled in the U.S.

This mic uses neither a VF14 or EF12 tube. I was told what it was (is it listed on the Bock Audio website?), but it was kind of esoteric and NOS. David basically implied he bought up a crap load of them.

Brad
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

oliver achut is just another hobbyist

the transformer are not that hot just make a shotout against original transformer and tell me iam wrong !!

its like many companys

tab

telefunken usa ... this company are just using the name but dont deliver the quality

and they have absolutly nothing too do with telefunken or tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled_Brains View Post

Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

wait !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude View Post
Odd... I've got two Wunder CM7's and I've never experienced noise after a couple hours use with either of them.

And other than the retro quasi U47 look, I didn't see any mention of this mic trying to be a U47. The elliptical capsule precludes that right off the bat. If any comparisons are to be made, I would compare this mic to the Violet Designs Flamingo with the "Magic Ear" capsule.
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

Jesus man. Got a chip on your shoulder huh?

I don't think that making generalizations or downright insulting well respected equipment designers is at all necessary in the topic at hand.

Unless you can show evidence to back up your claims, your arguments are weak at best.

Until then, you are contributing absolutely nothing of value to this thread.
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unbelievable. We won't be able to take you seriously in any of your future posts.
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Unbelievable. We won't be able to take you seriously in any of your future posts.
personally couldn't take him seriously in the past.

now, where is that ignore button?
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

jeez..i love drama threads. Good luck to bock audio and Brad, mic looks promising.
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

I appreciate the wishes of good luck. heh However I'm just another innocent bysptander like you guys drooling over a sweet piece of gear.

Brad
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
wait !
Hmm... Waited nine months, now. Still no noise. Perhaps I should be dropping it a couple times, ja?

ENOUGH PRESUMPTUOUS TALK!!!!

Now is the time on SPROCKETS in which vi dans!!!!!

BOM bu BOM... chicka chicka chicka chicka chicka... BOM bu BOM......

Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui_City View Post
personally couldn't take him seriously in the past.

now, where is that ignore button?
you are just being provocative by saying that. I suggest you just cool your little engines down

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search