The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 5106/5116...
Old 7th May 2005
Gear Maniac

Neve 5106/5116...

the studio that I work out of is thinking about getting a neve 5116. We went and looked at it today. Seems pretty cool but I have never worked on one and I have a few questions...

How hard is it to get parts? The desk comes with a good spares package and has been well kept up but I don't want to get something that is impossible to have worked on.

Power supply? According to the current owners, there is an issue with one of the powersupplys and suggested strongly that we fly some cat (can't remember his name but is a well known neve tech) out from LA to work on it. Is there some big mystery here, like is it way different than any other power supply? How hard will it be to commission this desk, it looks fairly simple. Is there any mystery here?

This board is HUGE and we dont have use for all of it, is there any market for the channel strips out of this board. This one has a compressor/gate and eq one each channel...

Sound quality: This may be a stupid question, given that it's a, but beyond all the hype, is this desk worth the work. Right now we have a Sony 3036. Will this desk be a huge improvement? Having the compressors is way nice....

Thanks in advance,

Reed
Old 7th May 2005
Lives for gear

Those weren't really intended for multitrack recording since they have limited bussing and monitor mixdown sections. Some details here:

http://www.proaudioeurope.com/london..._51series.html

From what I recall there's not anything too exotic in them so service shouldn't be a problem. Your Sony isn't a slouch, either, especially with the availability of third party preamps, EQ, etc. and it might be more suited for 24 track recording.

Bri
Old 7th May 2005
Lives for gear

Having been close to purchasing one of these consoles 3 times the big crunch factor is MAINTENANCE!!

these things have switches that ARE NO LONGER being made, and those that do have adequate supplies of switches and parts will charge you a princely summ to purchase them from thier dwindling stocks. There a re quite a few of them around in broadcast and are slowly being made avaialble to the market. But be careful to have hem checkd out by a suitably knowledgable tech, who works on these sorts of beasts. They are kinda complex and 'busy' inside.

There are a few places that stioll ahve a few buckets and channels around for sale. AMS Neve still has some parts and will charge accordingly. but if you get it then dont sell the strips... keep them as spares as there is a chance that you will need them, as well they are not desireable to rack up andare more of a pain in the ass if anything else as they are full length channel strips not convenient modules like the 10xx series.

Having said that they Do sound VERY FCUKING cool. Have headroom for days and just have that nice Neve voodoo about them. However they will NOT give you the classice class A sound of 80 series. Its a more modern sound but still with that characteristic Neve roundness.

So yeah.... tread carefully. If you are down with a bit of tech work when it goes down and are willing to put up with it and expensive spares then go for it. but other wise look soemwhere else. It hurts me to say it cos i LOVE neves but in relaitiy thats the long and the short of it when looking at these!

hope it helps
Wiggy
Old 7th May 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks for all the help. I have learned lots..

I did not think that I would ever tell a studio not to get a neve, but in this case I don't think it is a good move...

We already have the 3036 and if we took the money that will go into the neve we can up grade the sony or get some more out board gear.

Reed
Old 13th October 2009
Here for the gear

Neve 5116

The neve is a great console. I see consoles and just channel strips up for sale regularly. But you have to watch as much as possible. We have the 5116 in our room and it has been great. What you might want to consider is creating a side car with the 5116 modules. Then you have a more cost effective option and the neve sound when you want it.
I have worked extensively on the Sony and it isa great tracking console. Good clean signal path, good eqs. I hated the automation. When the studio upgraded to the API pres and eqs the sound quality was dramatically enhanced. when I say that I mean it gave it a more noticeable character. At least one we all liked.
Old 14th October 2009
Gear Guru

we have a 24 ch version.minimal bussing/routing but good little rock and roll console.
plenty of cool records made on it.the eq's seem a little grainier than 1073's but still have the Neve vibe in spades
occasional switch bitchyness but overall really solid.
everyone seems to love it
Old 14th October 2009
Lives for gear

RB.. How do you compare that 5316 to your 1608?

Curious
Wiggy
Old 14th October 2009

headroom for ever, good EQ - got a flavour of old school but modern enough to mix orchestral on it... i do !!

Can be a pig to service though - so be wise!!
Old 14th October 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
RB.. How do you compare that 5316 to your 1608?

Curious
Wiggy

Hey Wiggy..apples and oranges.
pretty much as any older Neve would compare to an api.the neve is darker thicker sounding.will use the pre'/eq's for multitrack sessions thenoften switch over to 1084,V76 or Tonelux,api maybe daking for other key tracks/overdubs
the api is a lil cleaner,more open,punchy.
I often prefer the 212 mic pre's in the api vs 512's in a lunchbox .don't know why but they sound smoother/rounder..maybe more opamp junk to pass through.. dunno.
the api is generally more flexible routing /sonically.anything from hip hop,rock to jazz and tv/film -no problem
people float a super cool little Tonelux 24ch sidecar thingy btw the two which is probably the cleanest most open sounding of the lot.
Sonically all are A+
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

i had a couple of 5116 modules that I racked up. Loved them. not as nice as my 10xx series modules but very nice on their own merits. Couldn't get into the compressor too much. a bit mushy for me.
The switches are indeed dodgy, so be prepared for some work if you buy the whole desk. Also have a pair of modules from an 8108- also very useful. Especially the lows on the eq.
good luck,
david
Old 10th June 2011
Lives for gear

Can anyone kindly suggest what a good price would be for a 24 channel 5016?
Assuming it's in fairly good in condition (albeit a pretty wide parameter to consider)
Just curious / dreaming.
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear
chet.d

where are you located? would you be interested in picking one up as a trade for gear/labor?
Old 13th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Can anyone kindly suggest what a good price would be for a 24 channel 5016?
Assuming it's in fairly good in condition (albeit a pretty wide parameter to consider)
Just curious / dreaming.
24 channel frame?

£12k max. More like $12k..... the switches are bitches......
Old 26th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Hi,

What is the difference between Group and Subgroup routing in theses 51 series NEVE consoles??

Opacheco
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search