The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPL Transducer with a great amp & preamp versus digital amp sims
Old 16th September 2008
Gear Maniac

SPL Transducer with a great amp & preamp versus digital amp sims

Hi,

Is the sound quality ( not latency etc ) I get with a nice amp and preamp with SPL transducer much better than pluggin my guitar into something like waves GTR trough a nice preamp and ad?

Cheers
Old 16th September 2008
Gear Addict

I´d bee interested, too. The soundfiles on the SPL site have all tons of reverb
which I think is not so great for showing how this thing sounds. I´m using a
preamp into Guitar Rig and am not completely satisfied by the cab sound.
Old 16th September 2008
Gear Addict

...I don´t know about the SPL transducer, but no plugin comes close to my Fender Bassman...
Old 16th September 2008
Gear Maniac

i have a transducer... if you are using amps which don't use a lot of preamp gain, its great.. however, if you are trying to track metal guitars (with tons of preamp gain) it doesn't stand up to a real cab. but for somewhat clean, or pushed guitars, even lightly distorted guitars it sounds fine you just gotta crank the volume on your guitar head...

1. personally, i think a real cab is going to sound more familiar and natural to your ears if you are used to recording real cabs.

2. if you have to track guitars at your house, where you can't be loud, the transducer will work fine. there is also a mod, which requires changing a cap or something, to get a little bit more scratchy top end...

just my opinion.

beau
Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

beau,
Were you on America's most wanted last week....I swear it was you. Nice avatarheh...Satriani uses one...He told me "personally" he direct records EVERTHING "Guitars" in the studio....Someone tell me this is bull****.please
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
i have a transducer... if you are using amps which don't use a lot of preamp gain, its great.. however, if you are trying to track metal guitars (with tons of preamp gain) it doesn't stand up to a real cab. but for somewhat clean, or pushed guitars, even lightly distorted guitars it sounds fine you just gotta crank the volume on your guitar head...

1. personally, i think a real cab is going to sound more familiar and natural to your ears if you are used to recording real cabs.

2. if you have to track guitars at your house, where you can't be loud, the transducer will work fine. there is also a mod, which requires changing a cap or something, to get a little bit more scratchy top end...

just my opinion.

beau
Thanks !

Do you have any experience with amplitube or GTR or guitarrig or any of those?
I wonder whether I should use software or hardware.

Cheers!

- I dont think I care for metal sounds. I used to be a metal head, but now I mainly use my shredding techniques with a clean, and slightly compressed sound. I would also be interested in what amp, compressor, preamp and guitar that work best with the transducer -

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search