The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tracking Compressor/Limiter to Compliment Distressor (bass and vocals)
Old 16th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Tracking Compressor/Limiter to Compliment Distressor (bass and vocals)

I know. You're thinking... another thread on "which compressor"?! Mine's slightly more specific than the other ones I found, though.

I'm looking for a second compressor (to add to my Distressor) to track vocals and/or bass. It's generally only going to be used in tracking and those are pretty much the only sources I compress to tape. So I need something that sounds great on bass and/or vocals. The music is pop/rock (not glossy dance pop - more "indie rock", whatever that means). The vocals will usually be male. My budget is $2,000 or less. Possibilities?

Chandler LTD-2
Portico 5043
Purple MC77
UA 1176LN
UA LA3A

Opinions?
Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslator View Post
I know. You're thinking... another thread on "which compressor"?! Mine's slightly more specific than the other ones I found, though.

I'm looking for a second compressor (to add to my Distressor) to track vocals and/or bass. It's generally only going to be used in tracking and those are pretty much the only sources I compress to tape. So I need something that sounds great on bass and/or vocals. The music is pop/rock (not glossy dance pop - more "indie rock", whatever that means). The vocals will usually be male. My budget is $2,000 or less. Possibilities?

Chandler LTD-2
Portico 5043
Purple MC77
UA 1176LN
UA LA3A

Opinions?
For vocals and bass from your list, I would say go with the MC77. I do love the LA3A for tracking vocals but not bass.
You could add the Crane Song Trakker to your list.

nIC
Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

I Would say the Cranesong Trakker/Distressor Combo is killer.
Old 16th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Pardon my arrogance, but this is really that kind of info you can find in a LOT of compressor threads around.

Hope you find what you seek.
Old 16th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osse_87 View Post
Pardon my arrogance, but this is really that kind of info you can find in a LOT of compressor threads around.
You could say the same thing about 99% of the threads on the forum. Is there *anything* that has not been discussed yet? For the record, I did read a fair number of compressor threads before posting and found that there were none that really addressed my particular circumstances (solely concerned with tracking, only tracking bass and vocals, and complimenting a Distressor). If you know of one, please direct me to it. Either way, I apologize for wasting your time.
Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pardon my rudeness, but this is really that kind of info you can find in a LOT of compressor threads around.

Hope you find what you seek.
There, fixed it for you
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslator View Post
(solely concerned with tracking, only tracking bass and vocals, and complimenting a Distressor).

my two recommendations based on the above:

la3a - additional smooth control, relatively colorless, slightly bigger and deeper than the source. brainless, foolproof for tracking.

daking - can be transparent or grabby (in a musical way), great 70's hifi sheen, adds depth and a little weight to the bottom. not as straightforward, but hard to make it sound bad.

i would be wary of the mc77, it's very modern sounding in a mid-forward way and it just gets moreso the harder you dig in. pairing that up with a distressor will make all your tracks sound like they're ready for the alge bros.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 17th September 2008
When I think of a contrary to the Distressor, I think of a comp that is quite a bit more natural sounding (instead of thicker or forward like the Distressor generally is) with an airier high frequency. Coloration amount can vary though. Crane Song Trakker, Buzz SOC or Essence, UA La-2a, Roll Music Super Stereo, Manley Vari-Mu, Vintech 609CA, Pendulum OCL-2. These are all quite different from each other (some more than others), but all mostly different from the Distressor in my personal experience.
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Maniac

UA LA3a compliments the distressor quite well.
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
There, fixed it for you
But it wasn't my intention being rude, but I understand that it could be taken that way, my only intention was to help the guy.

I hope you could see the humility in my post, otherwise I'm sorry.
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
But it wasn't my intention being rude, but I understand that it could be taken that way, my only intention was to help the guy.

my $.02, being a student of interpersonal stuff: the most humble, well-intentioned, spot-on, unsolicited advice will tend to come across as nothing more than unsolicited advice. iow, it probably won't be well received. and in a public forum, it's open to response from everyone who reads it, not just the target, which means 1000x more opportunities to trigger someone.

as i type this, i realize this post falls under that very category. heh

it is telling that your first post, the one you hope we can 'see the humility in,' starts off with 'pardon my arrogance.' ime, people don't tend to find arrogance helpful.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Problem solved.

The Trakker looked really interesting, but I just found a deal on an LA3A that I couldn't refuse. Should be here early next week.

Thanks all.
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
my $.02, being a student of interpersonal stuff: the most humble, well-intentioned, spot-on, unsolicited advice will tend to come across as nothing more than unsolicited advice. iow, it probably won't be well received. and in a public forum, it's open to response from everyone who reads it, not just the target, which means 1000x more opportunities to trigger someone.

as i type this, i realize this post falls under that very category. heh

it is telling that your first post, the one you hope we can 'see the humility in,' starts off with 'pardon my arrogance.' ime, people don't tend to find arrogance helpful.

gregoire
del
ubk
I guess the reason for this is simple self defence, as to my experience there is a lot of intentioned arrogance over the forums on internet.

I guess I should have put it like this instead: "pardon me if you catch this as arrogance..."

Hope this wasn't any big problem
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Maniac

CL1B
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

I'm tracking mostly indie rock at my place and I've been extremely happy with the lowly and colorless Aphex 661 as an alternative to my Distressor. To be honest I prefer it when tracking vocals or bass over the Distressor because it's easier for me to dial in invisible compression (it has a pretty good auto setting). When using a compressor for dynamic range control I tend to like transparent options. I know that's a minority opinion in these parts though.

Brad
Old 18th September 2008

good choice, the LA3, being optical and relatively slow, is certainly a compliment to the Distressor which is...well...distressing...
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Buzz Audio SOC 1.1 has been my goto vox and bass tracking comp for some years now.

And mixing too.....
Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

I think the LA3A is great choice for tracking vocals, not in-your-face comp.

nIC

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search