The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can I do this with the HEDD?
Old 15th September 2008
Lives for gear

Can I do this with the HEDD?

Hey guys,

Trying to get my head around something here, and maybe some HEDD users can chime in and give me a hand.

At the moment I am running Logic on a Mac Pro using an Apogee Rosetta 800 + Symphony PCI card for my A/D D/A. Using the I/O plugin in Logic, I am patching in my outboard on the Mix Buss, and going digital out to my Cranesong Avocet for monitoring.

Essentially, I would like to know if I could do this with a HEDD with a Lynx AES16e card in the Mac instead.

If I have this right, I could come stereo bus L/R AES out of the Lynx into the HEDD. Then using the analog I/O I could patch in the comp and EQ on the mix buss, followed by AES out back into the computer.

As far as monitoring is concerned, not sure how this would work with the Avocet....

Obviously I would only have one I\O loop in this scenario (if it works) so I would have to patch in any mic pres etc into the analog chain for recording into Logic...not entirely sure how this would work either!

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

Glam
Old 15th September 2008
Gear Maniac

I've got the same loop with Logic/ MOTU 192 HD and HEDD.

MOTU 192 digital aes to HEDD, analoge out of the HEDD in my analoge chain, back into HEDD (analoque), HEDD digital into MOTU 192 HD. Both units clocked by Apogee Big Ben.

In logic my output to aes (is in my case output 11-12) and input (1-2) and bounce channel output (1-2)
So audio out (11-12) and Aux Channel (input and output both on 1-2), Aux Channel will be my master channel.
Old 15th September 2008
Lives for gear

Hey PrinsJan,

So this is possible then? And if I have it right, the HEDD has no trouble patching in the analog I/O and sending it back via AES>?

How are you monitoring?

Thanks!
Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

Yup, that is exactly how it can work.

With regards to monitoring, you plug an AES output from the Lynx into an AES input on the Avocet. From there, analog into your monitors of course.

And you're done.
Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui_City View Post
Yup, that is exactly how it can work.

With regards to monitoring, you plug an AES output from the Lynx into an AES input on the Avocet. From there, analog into your monitors of course.

And you're done.
Hi Sui, thanks for chiming in. That all seems to make sense. Presumably in Logic I would simply be selecting the Lynx AES I/O then rather than using the Logic I/O plugin.

Also, if I wanted to record using a stereo mic pre, presumably I could just put this into the analog loop of the HEDD and hit record in Logic whilst selecting the appropriate output? And if I was monitoring using a separate AES out of the Lynx card this should be no problem?

Any other users using the HEDD this way feel free to let me know how you are using it!

Thanks for the help,

Glam
Old 16th September 2008
Lives for gear

Glam,

It's all about where you route your hardware inputs and outputs.

You'll have to pardon me, as i am not familiar with Logic's interface, but here are a few configs:

1. Recording a stereo mic pre, or mono for that matter

Set up an audio channel
Set the hardware input for that channel to the appropriate AES input channel that comes from the HEDD
Send the output of that audio channel to the AES output that feeds the Avocet, or more correctly, to the Master Buss which should have a hardware output set to the Avocet.

2. The stereo loop as you described in your first post

Define an audio channel's hardware output as the AES output that is feeding the HEDD
Set the return channel's input to the hardware AES input that comes back from the HEDD
Send the output of the return channel to the Master and have the master buss output set to the Avocet

Makes sense?
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Loud and clear Sui, thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search