The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HELP! Pro Tools mobile set-up, Neve DPD as front end?
Old 14th September 2008
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

HELP! Pro Tools mobile set-up, Neve DPD as front end?

Is it possible?

I have my main HD set-up at the studio, but want to be able to go out with a minimal amount of gear. If I get the LE set up for my laptop, which means getting on of the Mbox deals that supports 96k, which I want, can I use my Neve DPD for better pres and AD conversion?

If so, how?

Or any better alternatives?

Much appreciated!

-andrews
Old 14th September 2008
  #2
Lives for gear
 
numrologst's Avatar
if the dpd has spdif output just plug that into the mbox spdif input.

That's probably an okay setup if you just need 2 inputs on your mobile gigs.

If you need more, obviously I'd look elsewhere.
Old 14th September 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post
if the dpd has spdif output just plug that into the mbox spdif input.

That's probably an okay setup if you just need 2 inputs on your mobile gigs.

If you need more, obviously I'd look elsewhere.
No SPDIF

Thanks though.


-a
Old 14th September 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
No SPDIF

Thanks though.


-a
You just have to buy a Redco AES XLR > SPDIF cable. Works great!

Although, I've sucessfully tracked into my MBox2Pro from the 1073DPD it was only @ 48k. Unfortunately, the Mbox can't accept wordclock and receive digital signal simultaneuously, which means that the SPDIF stream must carry clock info and audio info. That scenario might not be reliable @ 96k.
Old 15th September 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmacko View Post
You just have to buy a Redco AES XLR > SPDIF cable. Works great!

Although, I've sucessfully tracked into my MBox2Pro from the 1073DPD it was only @ 48k. Unfortunately, the Mbox can't accept wordclock and receive digital signal simultaneuously, which means that the SPDIF stream must carry clock info and audio info. That scenario might not be reliable @ 96k.
Thanks.

Soooooo, does ANYONE use a better converter at 96k at the front end of a LE system?

If so, how?


-a
Old 15th September 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 

I use PTHD if the recording is important and if the money is good. If the recording is on the cheap I'm going to take out Logic with the Ensemble and lunch box then import into PT for mixing. I have the Logic system inplace but I have not yet used it on a live/location gig, but it makes sense.

nIC
Old 15th September 2008
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

No high quality laptop mobile version of Pro Tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearth View Post
I use PTHD if the recording is important and if the money is good. If the recording is on the cheap I'm going to take out Logic with the Ensemble and lunch box then import into PT for mixing. I have the Logic system inplace but I have not yet used it on a live/location gig, but it makes sense.

nIC
Yeah, I'm beginning to get the same idea. So, is there really no good laptop mobile solution for a high quality version of Pro Tools?

-a
Old 15th September 2008
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Yeah, I'm beginning to get the same idea. So, is there really no good laptop mobile solution for a high quality version of Pro Tools?

-a
You can use an expansion chassis that can adapt to a Macbook pro. Insert maybe a HD1 or HD2 system in the chassis. But it's still getting bulky with IO boxes and pre racks, that's why I'm thinking Ensemble (maybe x 2) with Logic Studio, lunch boxes, multi-channel rack pres and Macbook Pro as you will need the firewire 800 and 400 (400 for the Ensemble and 800 for external drives).

nIC
Old 15th September 2008
  #9
On the LE side, you can't front it with another converter at higher
than 48kHz. For me, we use a digi003 with a Focusrite ISA828
going optical in for our porta system. I rarely use sample rates higher
than 48kHz.. We use a Macbook Pro into a FW800 drive. Seems
to be pretty reliable so far.... no crashes other than the doofus that
accidently switched off the power strip.

Does it have to be Protools? It's just WAV of AIF files ... they go pretty
easy into HD. If you use Logic and have Digitranslator, it's even easier
still.

jeff
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ianmiller / High End
2
AlanTide / So Much Gear, So Little Time
4
Dirty Halo / High End
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump