The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are 500 series units and regular full size units the same?
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Interested in buying some GreatRiver gear.

They have the 500NV series out now and was wondering if the 500 series modules that companies are selling are ANY different than the full size single (or double) Rack Units.
They are cheaper ... so are they of any less quality?
Old 12th September 2008
Yes. They sound exactly the same (500NV compared to 1NV or 2NV). Dan made it so the 500 unit operates at 24v off of the API standard so there are no differences between the module and the rack. I think once you put the extra metal work and PSU in, it would be the same price as the rack. Great stuff!
Old 12th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderlover View Post

They have the 500NV series out now and was wondering if the 500 series modules that companies are selling are ANY different than the full size single (or double) Rack Units.
With Great River, There is NO difference in Sound Q. Cannot speak for other companies like A-Designs and such, but.....

The 500NV and MP2NV/ME1NV Rack units are identical in build and sonic quality. The only difference is the -10 outputs for "no latency feeds" and insert patch points, which, if you really need those features, I believe Dan will upgrade the module for you without a struggle, if you can live with a Ribbon Connector hanging inside the frame.
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Maniac

so the 500NV doesn't have PATCH insert capability?
Old 13th September 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:

the same other then the insert capability as Roc Mixwell has mentioned.

Quote:
read what Roc Mixwell says: )~
as to other designers, i have found they have designed their 500 format offerings, to sound distinctive.
the A-Design P-1 is very very very close to the Pacifica but, remember they were not trying to copt the Pacifica, simple get the same MOJO, and that they did and did it very well!
the 500 format is NOT a week offering but a format of its own!
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is one of the features of the VSI L-21 (a fully compatible mic pre) for the 500 series. I use it sometimes with an API 550b.

Problem is that the current lunchboxes/racks are not set up for inserts. For this reason, VSI started building their own lunchboxes and will make a 10 space rack at some point as well.

The VSI lunchbox has inserts on 1/4" TRS cables and also features stereo link (for the VSI compressor). The only problem is that our lunchbox then is non-standard and will most likely never be in the VPR alliance. Ok, that and the VSI lunchbox has an additional (non-standard) 300v power rail for (VSI) tube gear that while works fine with my API 550b's and 512c's (and will work fine with my Eisen's should I ever finish them), who knows if another manufacturer went 'outside the standard' and used that pin for something else. For that reason, many will not like the VSI lunchboxes and racks.

The current designs for the VSI 10 space rack has an optional one space panel that will have the inserts, links, and a 300v defeat switch for each slot.
Attached Thumbnails
Are 500 series units and regular full size units the same?-psu-t300-002.jpg   Are 500 series units and regular full size units the same?-l21-01.jpg  
Old 13th September 2008
Quote:

How many 500 series module need an insert?

Just PATCH IT AFTER THE PREAMP INTO ANOTHER 500 MODULE!!!!!!!

I would never expect a 500 series preamp card to offer a insert patch,

Buy the rack version if you want the features of the rack version.
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

The answer is no. Can a designer compensate for the voltage differential? Sure. Will it be exactly the same as it's standard counterpart? No. Why? Because everything in the circuit tends to affect the sound. Will everyone be able to hear the difference? Of course not. Is the 500 series a good format? It depends on who you ask and what your application is.
Old 13th September 2008
Gear Guru

No, 500 can be different, it also can be a better difference imo, i like the 512c and P-1s better than the 3124+ and the Pacifica.
Old 13th September 2008
500 series nutjob

the only company i know of that has tried to do the same in the 500 frame as in their other is Great River.
any will tell you they are dead on the same, sonically.

i do not know of any other company that has tried to do their 19'' rack in the 500 frame?

Avedis did do the MA5 in the 500 frame, and is a great number of Neve owners that claim he as nailed the sound better then anyone has.
i do not have a vintage Neve to compare, and it has been many years since i have, but i do know those to whom i trust that do, and as i say he nailed that sound!

Old 13th September 2008
If you are recording yourself, the practical benefits are pretty significant. I can pick up my entire input chain in one hand and move it to wherever I'm recording from in the room. I have a little Tranzport device that lets me control the DAW wirelessly. So I'm pretty darn mobile. If the stuff was in a rack somewhere, it would be FAR harder for me to work. Maybe at some point I'd get two lunchboxes. Or, probably just start swapping in modules that I'm needing at the moment.

Someone should make one like the API that has snaps to hold the modules in place, to allow for quickly swapping them in and out.
Old 13th September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
the only company i know of that has tried to do the same in the 500 frame as in their other is Great River.
any will tell you they are dead on the same, sonically.

i do not know of any other company that has tried to do their 19'' rack in the 500 frame?

Avedis did do the MA5 in the 500 frame, and is a great number of Neve owners that claim he as nailed the sound better then anyone has.
i do not have a vintage Neve to compare, and it has been many years since i have, but i do know those to whom i trust that do, and as i say he nailed that sound!

I agree with all of the points in the above post.
Old 14th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
No one has complained yet...

I like the using the patch capability between the MP and EQ, but it would require too much dickin around with the 500NV.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search