The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio & Design 760 X-RS stereo comp Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

Audio & Design 760 X-RS stereo comp

Opinons and verdicts..

Good or bad

was they good for?

Jules i know u have the 'Vocal Stressor' is this just a mono comp from the 760x compex compressor?

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 12th March 2003
I think so

it is a very 'tricked out' unit, as a compressor is really sucks & snaps, good to have around on drum buss etc..

Like an SSL crosssed with a Tasmanian Devil..

Get one!

heh
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

I have 2 f760x-n these are the module version of your compressor (use to be stucked inside the helios console in olympic studios!) in my studio (www.lowswing.de), I just love them !!! try on drums OH or room mics (have you ever heard a song call "when the levee breaks" by a band call Led Zepplin? this is the sound!)
I got a great result also mixing a punk band vocalist through it sounds baaaaaad (and that's good heh).
the expender and limiter are also very usefull.
Old 13th March 2003
Re: Audio & Design 760 X-RS stereo comp

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
Opinons and verdicts..

Good or bad

was they good for?

Jules i know u have the 'Vocal Stressor' is this just a mono comp from the 760x compex compressor?

PEACE
Wiggy
I had one in the mid 90's.

I loved it on drums.

Works great on loops also.

Ask Fletcher, he liked them alot for a while. I am not sure what he thinks about them now though.
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

can someone post me the user manual of the F760X - RS.
I just got one in secondhand.
I go nuts with the gain pots ( stereo in/ stereo out/ channel in/ channel out...)

It seems that the unit stays in stereo no matter how I set them.
Or the unit is faulty.
Thanks in advance .
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

I got two f760's that are fitted into my Helios.
these things are great, mine have to be cal'd, a manual would be nice too.
anyone got a manual?
Old 24th March 2003
Gear Nut

why not contact Audio & Design?
http://www.proaudio.uk.com/index.html
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

the760 could go from expand..to unity...to comress..to limit...i think i have a manual...somewhere
BTW the limiter threshold was fixed...and you had to elevate the body of program material to it...to get the desired..brickwall effect
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

aahhh, that would be nice if you could post the manual.
especially how to calibrate gain settings.
I'm reallly going crazy with all these pots.
Old 24th March 2003
Lives for gear

easier to find than i thiought...now how to post???somewhat challenged here
Old 25th March 2003
Lives for gear

haaaaa, great.
If you could scan the most important pages and PM them to my mailbox , that would be nice.
Old 26th March 2003
Lives for gear

I need a copy of the calibration section!
If you can get around to it...I know how this kinda crap can be so don't sweat.cool
Old 7th April 2003
Either of you dudes looking for manuals...
I just saw this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=2521433001
Old 1st February 2009
Here for the gear

Re ADR Vocal Stressor

The "Vocal Stressor" was (and still is, if you can get a pot-and-switch-hygienic one)a great tool. I had some in the 1970's, and I wish I still had 'em. They are one-half "Compex", which several correspondents have already accurately described in this thread, and the other half is a four-band sweep EQ. You can put the EQ pre- or post-the Compex, or in its side-chain.In passing, yes you do have to raise the input adjustment to get things up to meet the limiter threshold, as I just read above, BUT you only want to use the limiter to "slice the peaks off the mountains", not flatten the whole thing, or you'll make a worthless mess; there's lots of high comp ratios in there to use for that!"When the levee breaks", eh? Awesome racket! Down a huge corridor in Sandy Denny's gothic pile, I seem to remember, and yes, compressed a BIT....
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Addict

Hi mike.
If you ever want to sell that helios, I have cash in hand.
Old 30th April 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre tchmil View Post
can someone post me the user manual of the F760X - RS.
I just got one in secondhand.
I go nuts with the gain pots ( stereo in/ stereo out/ channel in/ channel out...)

It seems that the unit stays in stereo no matter how I set them.
Or the unit is faulty.
Thanks in advance .
Dear Andre,
As Audio & Design Recording appointed us, as their main agent for Europe in Respect to supplying, Servicing, Parts & Manuals, for there original classic audio gear, unless you are now fixed up I am sure we can help you, with any of your requirements.

Best Regards,

Tony.
Tony Arnold (Director)
www.helios-electronics.com
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tholen View Post
I need a copy of the calibration section!
If you can get around to it...I know how this kinda crap can be so don't sweat.cool
Dear Mike,
I can let you have what you require just drop me a line @
[email protected]

and I'll PDF it for you

Best Regards,

Tony.
Tony Arnold (Director)
Home
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
the760 could go from expand..to unity...to comress..to limit...i think i have a manual...somewhere
BTW the limiter threshold was fixed...and you had to elevate the body of program material to it...to get the desired..brickwall effect
Dear Mike,
I have the manuals either for the Helios F760, the ADR F760 or the Vocal Stressor.

Let me know if you got fixed up OK.

Best Regards,

Tony.
Tony Arnold (Director)
Home
Old 5th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tholen View Post
I got two f760's that are fitted into my Helios.
these things are great, mine have to be cal'd, a manual would be nice too.
anyone got a manual?
Dear Mike,
The Helios F760 manual is slightly differant from the ADR one, but drop me a line @
[email protected]

And I will Pando you your requirements
Download and Share ... BIG | Pando

There is a guy called Tim Mead at Vintage King Audio in Chicago, he's an excelant Tech, and is very much up on the ADR F760, after you recieved the Manual, unless you want to carry out the Line-Up Callibration yourself, I can really recomend Tim.

Best Regards,

Tony.
Tony Arnold (Director)
Home

Last edited by Arny; 5th July 2009 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: To add some more help
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear
I just want to thank Tony.

I emailed him for the manual on a Sunday and within half an hour he had uploaded it for me.

Great guy.

Thanks
Old 7th July 2009
Lives for gear

Another big "THANK YOU!" to Tony "Arny" Arnold for sending me an ADR F760 Manual complete with setup, calibration instructions and schematics!

Mucho props to you sir!
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

A bit off topic but does anyone have manual/schematics for the Audio + Design F601-RS (Superdynamic Limiter)?
Old 9th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
A bit off topic but does anyone have manual/schematics for the Audio + Design F601-RS (Superdynamic Limiter)?
Dear Mr Bassmanker,
First could you send me a JPG and I will see what I can do.

[email protected]

Best Regards,

Tony.
Tony Arnold (Director)
www.helios-electronics.com

P.S. Many thanks Kane & Steve, pleasure is mine
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screws View Post
Another big "THANK YOU!" to Tony "Arny" Arnold for sending me an ADR F760 Manual complete with setup, calibration instructions and schematics!

Mucho props to you sir!
Yes indeed.
Same here, super fast response and friendly guy.
Thanks Tony
Old 11th July 2009
Here for the gear

Adr 760

I have one that was in need of some repairs and Tony called me from his office overseas and went way beyond the call of duty to take care of me.
He is a class act !
Thx Tony.
Graeme
WELCOME TO MIXEDBYME.COM
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear
For years Mike Chapman used one on every record he made. He always kept a signal path with his on the two mix to reference, and took it to mastering.

I picked mine after those sessions. Its pretty much the total antithesis of a Manley Mu.

Plus it has some of the most flamboyant lights on any piece of gear ever.
Old 11th July 2009
tekis
Great Unit!

I've had used a FS760 for years. ADR's "Express Limiter" and "EasyRider" are cool too. The 760 is quite aggressive! Transformers are recommended. They don't have to be stock, though. Sowter makes replacements. I can vouch for Tony Arnold (Arny). He's a gentleman and a scholar. Plus, his wife, Natalie, knows a lot about Helios desks and Ampex tape machines...
Old 13th July 2009
Gear Addict

Thanks Guys

"Many thanks every body"
It is my pleasure, as I go on through my life, I well remember when I was desperate for a piece of gear, and then when I got it, it did not work, and it was so hard to get a service manual, and in those days there were no more than 30 Studios throught Britain to get advice or help from, they were great guys and willing to help, but with no Internet you could not find them to obtain that HELP.

Now today it is a different story, and the amount of pleasure and pride you guys give me when you ask for something and I can produce it, you do not know how great it feels.
I am a collectomaniac my wife says,
"What should I to do with all that Gear and paperwork in the barn if something happened to you.
I always reply
"Don't worry love I'll drive safely but still try to enjoy it"

I am 73 now, took to learning about recording when I purchased "How High the Moon", around 1950 by, we all know who, (What a great guy he is) my mother (A Amateur Jazz Singer) asked because I was buying every 78 Les Paul made (Still got them), "would I like a guitar," I replied
"Hell if he played a Sax I would still be buying em, Mum, just listen to that sound".
My family did buy me a Guitar, still play for my own amazement today
I'm the best player in my house when I'm the only person in it.

Check out this LINK , I went this year, it is held just 30 mile from my home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3fV9zjwRM

Sorry to go off thread, but I can get carried away with my Memories sometime, and with my collection of Studio Memorabilia, which I love to share, but sadly some of you may have to humour me, Sorry.

Best Regards,

Tony.
Old 14th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arny View Post
Dear Mike,
The Helios F760 manual is slightly differant from the ADR one, but drop me a line @
[email protected]

And I will Pando you your requirements
Download and Share ... BIG | Pando

There is a guy called Tim Mead at Vintage King Audio in Chicago, he's an excelant Tech, and is very much up on the ADR F760, after you recieved the Manual, unless you want to carry out the Line-Up Callibration yourself, I can really recomend Tim.

Best Regards,

Tony.
Tony Arnold (Director)
Home
Anyone have a contact for Tim, or can you contact him through Vintage King. I am in Chicago and have a x760-rs in need of some repair. I would love to get this fixed as it is a kick ass comp. Any info would be appreciated.thumbsup
Old 14th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousana View Post
Anyone have a contact for Tim, or can you contact him through Vintage King. I am in Chicago and have a x760-rs in need of some repair. I would love to get this fixed as it is a kick ass comp. Any info would be appreciated.thumbsup
I have PM'd you Tim's details your gear will be with a great Tech, Tim and I are both appointed by ADR for servicing the Classics, Tim looks after the USA and I Europe.

By the way ADR are still making gear, and I do recomend their DMA-2, it has recieved some nice reviews
DMA-2

for one review
Audio & Design DMA2

and
Q. What's the best way to get audio into my portable recorder?

If you ever need anything write me

Best Regards,

Tony.
Tony Arnold (Director)
Home

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search