The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio & Design 760 X-RS stereo comp Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 7th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXTWOFOUR View Post
The ADR / OC Rack.
That is awesome.
Old 11th June 2010
Gear Addict

Versions of ADR Compex Compressor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beats workin' View Post
this is quite interesting-- my compex looks quite different inside than the pic of Schaaps.
How many versions were made? Tony, can you give us a bit of history? thanks,
David
I too am especially interested in knowing if there is a way to know when the change was made to eliminate the transformer models and if there are any ways to tell via serial numbers or other external indicators.

Thanks,
Tim Cochran
Old 22nd June 2010
Gear Head

Transformers

Normally, you can recognize a balanced Compex by its VU Meter. THe balanced have an "Audio & Design Recording" printed on them, ut most havent the in- and outputtransformers.

Tommorow my Vocal Stressor will arriveheh
Old 22nd June 2010
Here for the gear

My Compex's all have "Audio & Design Recording" on the meters, but none have transformers. It's been many years since I acquired mine, but I seem to remember that the transformers were optional, so I'm not sure you can tell by serial numbers, etc. Here is a quote from my owner's manual dated July 1976:

"Units are normally supplied unbalanced but provision is made for simply adding transformers at a later date, or they can be ordered fitted by quoting unit series number followed by the suffix -R/T or -RS/T."

For what it's worth, here are some photos of mine.

Thumbnails

Mike
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Mine did not have transformers either. I had my compex and vocal stressor refurb'd by David Kulka at Studio Electronics and he added input and output transformers and WOW they both sound AMAZING!!!
Old 22nd June 2010
Gear Head

I made a mistake

Mine has the transformers installed, so I guess that the F760xs with the "Audio & Design Recording" brand were newer ?
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedj View Post

For what it's worth, here are some photos of mine.

Thumbnails

Mike
Mine looks exactly so in- and outside but not the sticker and the "For vocal Stressor use...." message on the back. I guess mine is older(?)

BTW: the studio where I bought the unit had changed the trimpots.
Old 22nd June 2010
Gear Maniac

I have 2 vocal stressers with Marinair-trannies put in them....sounds
sweet!!!

Truls Ström
Father of Love productions
Attached Thumbnails
Audio & Design 760 X-RS stereo comp-td4.jpg  
Old 23rd June 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaap View Post
Mine looks exactly so in- and outside but not the sticker and the "For vocal Stressor use...." message on the back. I guess mine is older(?)
The stickers say "Approved for Electrical Safety - Department of Building & Safety - City of Los Angeles". I don't recall them coming from LA, but it's possible. I got them in the mid '80s after using them in a radio station. I used more than one set and I don't recall the exact history of this set. One set I do recall buying new from Nigel Branwell in Bremerton in the early '80s. I'm not sure that info helps date these, but it might be close.

Mike
Old 23rd June 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXTWOFOUR View Post
Mine did not have transformers either. I had my compex and vocal stressor refurb'd by David Kulka at Studio Electronics and he added input and output transformers and WOW they both sound AMAZING!!!
Would it be too forward of me to ask what the Compex refurb cost? Even a ballpark would be fine. I plan on selling them and need to decide whether it would be better to have them refurb'd first or sell them as is. Though they were continuous duty when they were in service, I have not powered them up in several years, so I assume the caps will need to be replaced.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 23rd June 2010
Lives for gear

I refubed my compex boxes...DIY
cca 60 euro spent on each for capacitors and recalibration!!!

they work perfect now!!!
Old 15th July 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks Tony

Thank you for the F760 Manual!

After looking for this for ages, you finally came to my rescue!

Thaks again.

Bård Vold Ingebrigtsen / Norway
Old 15th July 2010
The compex rules!
Old 15th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip S Bova View Post
The compex rules!

compex rulez +1000
Old 30th March 2011
Lives for gear

Just picked up an ADR Compex ... here is what my insides look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Audio & Design 760 X-RS stereo comp-dscf1880.jpg   Audio & Design 760 X-RS stereo comp-dscf1881.jpg   Audio & Design 760 X-RS stereo comp-dscf1882.jpg  
Old 11th April 2011
Thanks Tony!

Thanks Tony for supplying the manual, it's great to have the info for this classic piece of gear.

Regards
Dylan
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Nut

Hi,

Just picked up a F760X-RS recently. Anyone have a manual scan they can send me? If so, please send to fazeka (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

Maybe someone could attach manuals for F760X and F769X here to this thread, so every fresh owner doesn't need to ask again and again . Thank you.

F769X-R (with sowters on both inputs) just entered my possesion. Manual is not really needed to operate the thing, but it would be nice what they had to say.

It's a nice compressor, nice character. So far I've only tried it on a drumloop to see if I can find a plugin that does something somewhat similar and to my surprise UAD 33609 was the closest (but still different). 1176 collection was very different (too fast attack for snappy transients).
Old 16th August 2013
Here for the gear

I have an original ADR F760X-RS for sale or trade if anyone is interested. I have owned it since the late 70's and it has sat on a shelf for many years. I pulled it down last night and found that I had intended to replace some of the edge connectors but I guess I never got to it. Found the new ones in a bag that I cleverly placed inside the unit!
I will get them in. The unit is completly stock, has balanced ins and outs and the pre-emph. I also have the original manual and all the cuts sheets.

Trade Bait: Blackface Fenders

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Audio & Design 760 X-RS stereo comp-img_2642.jpg   Audio & Design 760 X-RS stereo comp-img_2638.jpg  

Last edited by knollr; 29th August 2013 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: not enough info
Old 21st June 2014
Gear Maniac

I have an Orange county electronics unit that was based on ADR's design. From what i have heard Orange county went out of business due to legal action and have been long gone. I am in the middle of working on the two modules, PEQ and CLX. Nearly a complete rebuilt which might be a waste of time. But as it is I am already past the point of no return and want to get these units up and working. Anyone who has the schematics/user manual or any relevant info it would be greatly appreciated and a great help on this project. The units especially the CLX(compressor, limiter, expander will need re calibration so any info is super helpful. Thanks
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Just incase folk dont know, Helios are still servicing the original units.

I've had my F760x-RS serviced by Tony and it sounds fantastic on it's return.

Top work buy the main man.
Old 12th July 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanker View Post
Just incase folk dont know, Helios are still servicing the original units.

I've had my F760x-RS serviced by Tony and it sounds fantastic on it's return.

Top work buy the main man.
Wondering if we could get some contact info for Helios, I have a 760, and would love to get it back to original operating condition. Thanks!
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tousana View Post
Wondering if we could get some contact info for Helios, I have a 760, and would love to get it back to original operating condition. Thanks!
Here you go man,

Home

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search