The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Versatile EQ???
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Addict

Versatile EQ???

I did a search but I couldn't find a similiar post ... I am looking to add a hardware EQ to my recording setup after being frustrated with-plug ins ... I have a Pacifica and a Distressor so that would be my chain. Single channel is all I need now.

I was looking at the A Designs EM-PEQ or possibly the Lil Freq ... my price range is around 1000 give or take ... I would run vox, bass, guitars, synths through it so I need a versatile EQ cause it would be my only one.
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawdps View Post

I was looking at the A Designs EM-PEQ or possibly the Lil Freq ... my price range is around 1000 give or take ... I would run vox, bass, guitars, synths through it so I need a versatile EQ cause it would be my only one.
EM PEQ = vibey..not super flexible
Lil Freq = clean but you can do amazing sculpting.Great filtering.
Not super vibey..a good "fixer" eq

Others to consider:
Tonelux .4 banders.great Eq's..a bit cleaner than API but super musical and flexible
API 550A and 550 B..great ..some color..reasonable control pretty versatile
Germanium tone control= vibey some interesting controls..
Great River..pretty flexible and some vibe
theres more but I'm gonna let others chime in

I have 2 of the Vertical Daking eqs..good 4 bander..fairly clean and broad..yet aggresive..Great stuff

Demo Demo Demo.
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was looking at the A Designs EM-PEQ or possibly the Lil Freq ....
I own both of those and love them. Together they are a might combo. The EM-PEQ is a good choice if you are looking for some serious mojo and sounds sculpting, the Lil Freq is amazing for going in and cleaning getting rid of ugly stuff in a track (including a great de-esser), but does not have as much character as something like the EM-PEQ. If you are looking for some thing that could be great across a really broad range of applications I would give some serious attention to the Avedis EQ.
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
... my price range is around 1000 give or take ...

if you know of a way to get lil freqs for a grand, let me know!

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 11th September 2008
The Great River EQ1NV (one channel) or EQ2NV (2 channel) is extremely versatile. It's a 4 band EQ with 3 switchable bandwidths on two mid bands, and shelf or peak on the top and bottom. So you could do broad sweeps or surgery. It also has a killer input sensitivity switch that allows you to take the tone from cleaner/more accurate to the input, to more sweet and rich at the flip of switch.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

With smaller budget definitelly try Speck EQ - clean and nice sounding. If you save more - try Portico EQ.
Great River, LILEq and A-Design PEQ are all highly recommendable, too.
Old 11th September 2008
I think its clear what we really need which no one has done is a tone monster EQ with girth & size that's extremely flexible as well.

Every new EQ is either clean and flexible(like a plug in) or slightly tone colored but not flexible and small/tiny sounding.

The Massive Passive was the last EQ that kinda said "wow" but we need something with more girth & size but with crazy flexibility. An EQ that gives you lots of character, but you can change the EQ curves to create something totally new. Also an EQ you can use on anything. Most EQ's work better on certain sources & suck on others. It be cool to have an EQ that you can shape and beef up a kick or bass, but at the same time use it on a vocal or snare.

You know you have muscle cars....we need a "muscle" EQ in the worse way.
Old 11th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
I think its clear what we really need which no one has done is a tone monster EQ with girth & size that's extremely flexible as well.

This might end up being your Shelby Cobra of EQ's
(they'll be landing in the States in the next week or so)

REQ-2.2 Resonance Equalizer

Old 11th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
This might end up being your Shelby Cobra of EQ's
(they'll be landing in the States in the next week or so)

REQ-2.2 Resonance Equalizer

3 things that i don't like:

1) My ideal EQ would be a mono monster not stereo.

2) 4 bands is not enough(like Massive Passive) i would want at least 5 or 6(like GML 8200).

3) Lastly I will never pay more than $4500 for any piece of outboard gear, especially for something new. That's my personal cutoff and anything that goes above it i don't even bother considering.

I am sure the things sounds awesome but its not exactly what i am thinking.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Every new EQ is either clean and flexible(like a plug in) or slightly tone colored but not flexible and small/tiny sounding.

The Massive Passive was the last EQ that kinda said "wow" but we need something with more girth & size but with crazy flexibility. An EQ that gives you lots of character, but you can change the EQ curves to create something totally new. Also an EQ you can use on anything. Most EQ's work better on certain sources & suck on others. It be cool to have an EQ that you can shape and beef up a kick or bass, but at the same time use it on a vocal or snare.

Hey Thrill,

Ever try the Lucas EQ? Seems like it would fit the bill.

best,
Larry
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Hey Thrill,

Ever try the Lucas EQ? Seems like it would fit the bill.

best,
Larry
Is that the same deal Terry's involved with?
If so,I've seen the 176 clones but what's the eq modelled after?
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yeah a Motown/Pultec/Sontec 6 bander & Filters would do.

Pete Reardon[Shadow Hills] could be be the guy.
I've seen some mock up proto stuff that looked cool but no solid builds/production yet.
I'll keep dreaming
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Addict

So I think the Tonelux and the Summit Audio FEQ is in my price range for a one channel and are looking pretty good ... any other recommendations for around 1,000???
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
So I think the Tonelux and the Summit Audio FEQ is in my price range for a one channel and are looking pretty good ... any other recommendations for around 1,000???
I personally would do the Tonelux over the Summit.
just my experience
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Chain a Massive Passive, Lil Freq, API 5500, and EMPEQ to make the monster EQ from the dark side.
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post

a big +1 on that sentiment.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Addict
To the OP. There aren't many flexible EQ's under a grand. My first choice would be Speck ASC-T. They are super clean and precise, and very flexible. And for a grand you can get a couple of used ones (in fact I might be selling mine - I have 4).

Another inexpensive option is Arsenal by API. Personally I haven't tried them but it's a dual 4 band EQ, so it should be pretty flexible. The reviews I read were pretty good. I believe it's exactly a grand for a 2 channel 2U rack mount unit.

Used Porticos go for around $1300. If you wanna wait and save up for it, totally worth it.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
just my experience
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
a big +1 on that sentiment.
Just to be clear, you have both compared the Tonelux to the Summit FeQ-50?
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

SSL x-rack?................ eq's are around 600 no?
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac View Post
SSL x-rack?................ eq's are around 600 no?
Don't you have to buy a $2000 rack to be able to use the EQ's? And by the way the EQ modules I think are around $900.
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Guru

i haven't compared the summit and the tonelux, but i've used the 2. the summit was 'meh', and the tonelux was 'unreal'; they're in completely different leagues imo.

tonelux is easily one of the finest eq's ever made, sweet sounding and uber-flexible. my dream console has 24...

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Just to be clear, you have both compared the Tonelux to the Summit FeQ-50?
Yes.a client brought in a demo and we used it on some guitars.I also own a 24 channel Tlux rig with EQ's.
Like most Summit EQ's I've owned[three],it was ok.
The Tlux I felt was on another level.
more focused,higher headroom/boosts with less smear
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

I have two Speck ASC-V 500 series EQ's. I love them, virtually no color to speak of even with the transformer output. Very flexible in terms of control, and because there is no color they never get in the way or stand out. They also can work without a 500 rack because they have TRS I/O as well as the edge connection.
Old 12th September 2008
AB3
Lives for gear

If you need a pair and do not want to pay more than $1000, I cannot think of anything other than the Speck eqs. I only got to borrow them for a short period, but I remember really liking them a lot. Not real surgical, but actually surgical enough for most of my purposes, including fixing a frequency on a vocal if needed.

If you only need one channel, then I would hold out for a lil freq for about four hundred more ($1400 used sometimes.)
Old 12th September 2008
High End Moderator

Definitely +1 for the EQ2NV, my fav for tracking. I sometimes have a Massive Passive > Chandler Curve Bender > API 5500 on the stereo bus, could that work for you Thrill?
Old 12th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
Definitely +1 for the EQ2NV, my fav for tracking. I sometimes have a Massive Passive > Chandler Curve Bender > API 5500 on the stereo bus, could that work for you Thrill?
Michael i am looking for one EQ that can do the work of all(except for the API which i didn't like) and it necessarily doesn't have to be stereo.

Actually something like the "Mono Mondo EQ".] or "Balls of steel EQ".

Something crazy like that.
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

UBK & Roundbadge: Thanks for the info. That's good to know.
Old 12th September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
If you are looking for some thing that could be great across a really broad range of applications I would give some serious attention to the Avedis EQ.
I agree... the E27's are a great choice.
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Addict

Sorry that this is OT, but I saw that BUZZ is gonna be delivering the EQ and was wondering if the Dual Compressor System Model DCS-2.2 is ready as well.

I emailed Buzz Audio twice sometime ago but got no response.

Nathan?
Thanks!

Sput
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Michael i am looking for one EQ that can do the work of all(except for the API which i didn't like) and it necessarily doesn't have to be stereo.

Actually something like the "Mono Mondo EQ".] or "Balls of steel EQ".

Something crazy like that.
I dont think this EQ exists yet....good luck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search