The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Versatile EQ???
Old 12th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sput View Post
Sorry that this is OT, but I saw that BUZZ is gonna be delivering the EQ and was wondering if the Dual Compressor System Model DCS-2.2 is ready as well.

I emailed Buzz Audio twice sometime ago but got no response.

Nathan?
Thanks!

Sput

Not yet. I think Tim said something about late Winter maybe Spring time.
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Not yet. I think Tim said something about late Winter maybe Spring time.
I see. Since I read about it, I thought it was such a terrific idea. Any ideas about pricing?
Thanks,

S
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

You must check out the wonderful Neve Portico 5033 EQ - 5 great bands in a single channel. Later you can add another and use in stereo.
Old 12th September 2008
Gear Nut

Find an old Amek 9098 Mic Pre-EQ. They show up used for just under $1000 a channel.
The Mic Pre is not that great, But the EQ is a Neve design, Very Flexible/Surgical, has some incredible sounding high/low filters.
Old 13th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sput View Post
I see. Since I read about it, I thought it was such a terrific idea. Any ideas about pricing?
Thanks,

S
Not sure, there were some initial estimates a while ago, but metal and copper prices have gone up and the US to NZ dollar has gone up and down.
Old 13th September 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
3 things that i don't like:

1) My ideal EQ would be a mono monster not stereo.

2) 4 bands is not enough(like Massive Passive) i would want at least 5 or 6(like GML 8200).
The solution to these points seems to be feed one side into the other. Voila, mono monster with 8 bands.

Quote:
3) Lastly I will never pay more than $4500 for any piece of outboard gear, especially for something new. That's my personal cutoff and anything that goes above it i don't even bother considering.

I am sure the things sounds awesome but its not exactly what i am thinking.
In response to this point, to quote Tim from the thread about the REQ2.2,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant View Post
We are also reviewing the pricing given the NZ$ has fallen a little and will update shortly.
Watch this space, perhaps…
Old 13th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidsquad View Post
The solution to these points seems to be feed one side into the other. Voila, mono monster with 8 bands…

That's what I was thinking...
Old 13th September 2008
Quote:
The solution to these points seems to be feed one side into the other. Voila, mono monster with 8 bands.
It would be if the tone of either one is what i was looking for and its not( i own a Massive Passive and sold my GML 8200 long ago).

Again something which is tonally different than what's out there right now. Not something sweet and pretty, or clean & lifeless.

A tone hog with lots of muscle & shape. Something you strap on a kick or bass and you stand back and go woah!!!!!

Quote:
In response to this point, to quote Tim from the thread about the REQ2.2,
Watch this space, perhaps…
I have no clue but i doubt he'll be able to squeeze it under my cutoff.
Old 13th September 2008
Quote:
It would be if the tone of either one is what i was looking for and its not( i own a Massive Passive and sold my GML 8200 long ago).
I think squidsquad was saying run side A of the REQ into side B, not a GML into a Massive Passive.

Quote:
Again something which is tonally different than what's out there right now. Not something sweet and pretty.

So something sour and ugly? ;-) I'm not trying to convince you, I myself haven't heard the REQ yet...but it sounds like you're writing it off before having heard it. I doubt it's agressive, but it's using all chokes (which in themselves sound huge just going on the Buzz Tonic EQ) and the REQ apparently has a switchable dual stage output...one of which is a single ended Class A output with steel transformer which should add some hair when switched on.
Old 13th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post

So something sour and ugly? ;-) I'm not trying to convince you, I myself haven't heard the REQ yet...but it sounds like you're writing it off before having heard it. I doubt it's agressive, but it's using all chokes (which in themselves sound huge just going on the Buzz Tonic EQ) and the REQ apparently has a switchable dual stage output...one of which is a single ended Class A output with steel transformer which should add some hair when switched on.
I am writing it off because:

A) Its too expensive for me and to focus on something i am not gonna buy is a waste of time.

B) Even though i am sure the REQ will sound excellent, with its current design most of the Buzz stuff, Manley, Crane Song, Chandler, A Designs & Great River all have their own slant on what they believe gear should sound like and its not currently what i am after.

Also in thinking about it more the EQ i imagine will have different setups at each stage(including different transformers) that will better benefit the freq range. So for the lower regions something thick and dark with a tube/tranformer stages with a hi pass and peak/shelf filter, for the midrange something smooth with the option of a parallel distortion generator but solid state , for the high freqs and air something that either softens it or makes it airy with both solid state and tube choices. Also some kind of mid/side circuit for the high freqs.

The make up gain i am not sure of though what that should be yet, but something really euphonic.

It will be 4 rack spaces high and black with no markings. It will have usb connection that you plug into the computer that when the software is loaded it lights up and you can see all the knobs. (As its powering up it will play the music from 2001 a Space Odyssey as well).

It will be the famous "Black Box".
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

It will be 4 rack spaces high and black with no markings. It will have usb connection that you plug into the computer that when the software is loaded it lights up and you can see all the knobs. (As its powering up it will play the music from 2001 a Space Odyssey as well).

It will be the famous "Black Box".
Man this is funny, but i have a feeling you are serious Thrill

Hey didn't Summit make something with a similar concept but without the 2001 Space Odyssey theme
Old 13th September 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
Man this is funny, but i have a feeling you are serious Thrill
Dude you don't know how much. I've dreamt about this box for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Rezz View Post
Hey didn't Summit make something with a similar concept but without the 2001 Space Odyssey theme
You are thinking about their collab with Rupert Neve but that box had no soul. Also it interfaced with the computer through midi. It had knobs and markings on it though and you could run it standalone.

My box without it being coneected to the software will just be a big black box. No knobs, markings, etc. Its when you interface it with the personalized software that the magic begins. The thing will slowly light up and the knobs one by one will start to protrude from the box. As the knobs set in their place the markings become clear.

In thinking more about it, i think i'll make it so you can customize the music it plays as it cycles up with the software.
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

oops. posted in the wrong thread

while I'm here, don't look past the Buzz Tonic EQ for versatility. The mid band is stupid useful. For under $800, I think it's one of the best values out there.
Old 16th September 2008
Gear Addict

Thanks for all the help ... now all I have to do is find a used Portico 5033, Lil Freq or Tonelux at a decent price thumbsup
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Addict

I was thinking about picking up a used Avalon 737sp and bypassing the Pre and the Comp and using the EQ?? I've read good things about the EQ here ... that would also give me some more options as far as pre/comp go as well ...
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear
The Avalon does indeed have a very nice equalizer. Don't underestimate the pre section. You may find yourself using it more often than you thought you would. It's a nice piece of gear all around. Are they available for 1k$ now? That seems low. If you can find one that cheap and there's nothing wrong with it then definitely pick it up. I also like the 9098 pre/eq strip. Also a nice piece and in the 1k$ range. A lot more neutral in sound for sure. The fact that you can adjust the bandwidth on the mid sections is definitely going to benefit of the 9098 over the 737 (switchable only).
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Addict

Is that EQ what you would call "versatile"? For vox, guitars, bass, drums etc ... you can bypass the pre and comp. right??
Is this a good idea ??
Old 18th September 2008
Although I love the A Designs stuff too, I would give another strong vote for the Lil Freq. That it is an amazingly versatile EQ is a given. Beyond that it has some REALLY cool "extra" features. It has one of the best de-essers I have ever found. That is a big plus for me. Also, it has multiple outputs (transformerless, transformer and unbalanced) that can be used together to split the signal! Think about how great that is for things like snare, kick and even vocals! Although people have said it doesnt have much, the transformer also some pretty nice 'mojo'! The other cool thing that it has is an instrument input. Until this thing I always used an Avalon U5 or 6176 for bass. Since the first time I plugged a bass into the Lil Freq I havent looked back.

I know I sound like a Lil Freq fanboy but....... well I am. It just kicks ass.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search