The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Replacement for API 3124+
Old 12th September 2008
Sytek?

Nah.....Sebatron 4000e rules everywhere I would use the 3124+

It KILLS on Rhythm elements.
Old 13th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
The other ideas here may be out and out better pre's but at the price the ART MPA must be a serious contender and certainly fairs MUCH better than most low end pre's (Focusrite Platinums etc).
Whether or not that's true, I can't imagine that I would ever recommend that somebody sell an API unit to buy an ART one (or even two). API is the business for mid-forward rocky stuff.
Old 13th September 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrlk View Post
Sytek would probably be great if you're after a Neotek/versatile sound. If you're used of API, I'd avoid the DAV recommendation.

Perhaps, another possible solution is to sell your 3124 AND your converter - if you have one - and replace them both with an A2D. That way, you get what you're familiar with?

I just know I wouldn't want to part with my API's (2 x 512c's) anytime soon... I'd sell off other stuff before them for sure. Mics, compressors, instruments, etc.

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing financial strain though... a lot of people are these days. God be with us - B

I appreciate your sympathy . I guess the only comforting thing (in some twisted way) is knowing I'm not the only one that has had a problem like this in recent past or present. It is in this that I convince myself I didn't just completely f-up and that's why I'm here lol. I was going to sell some other things, but I felt that the APIs were best to part with for the moment because a) they'll free up enough cash while only selling one item and b) I won't have to take too big of a hit from selling them as I would with much of my other stuff - gear and other items.

I'm leaning towards selling the APIs and keeping the excess money (after bills) for a bit before getting new pres. But, I still think this thread is very relevent for the budget-concious recordist and very informative (there were a couple preamps listed that I was not aware about).

I guess with the studio downtime, I'll try to figure out how to get the phantom power fixed in my spur-of-the-moment/ why-did-I-get-this purchase of last year: Studiomaster Mixdown Gold 16x8x16...it was the best and worst $500 I've ever spent haha.

Thanks a bunch everyone! (I know I say it every post, but I really do mean it every time)
Old 13th September 2008
Brian Roth got phantom power into my ADM 780's a few years back. I wonder if he could help?

Brian Roth Technical Services
Old 14th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybelmont View Post
i've never seen them close to $1k for a pair even without a rack.. The average price is $1400-ish for 2 x 512c's used (not including a rack).
same i was thinking...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search