The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neve 1081 12-pack rack
Old 11th March 2003
Capitol Studios Paris

Neve 1081 12-pack rack

We'll be trying out the new Neve 1081 remote 12-pack rack next week...12 pre/EQs in one rack, remote-controllable out on the floor by a Mac in the CR...they are the modern AMS-Neve reissue of the Air "Montserrat" 1081s, which are also an option in the AMS-Neve 88R console.

Am keen to compare them to our 1073s....stand by for the report next week. We'll be putting them through their paces with a U47 and a Blue Bottle on vocals, and on a full drum kit.

A 12-pack of 1081s could make for a pretty nice side car.

Anyone tried them out yet...or used them with an 88R? Any experiences to report?
Old 12th March 2003
Re: Neve 1081 12-pack rack

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
We'll be trying out the new Neve 1081 remote 12-pack rack next week...12 pre/EQs in one rack, remote-controllable out on the floor by a Mac in the CR...they are the modern AMS-Neve reissue of the Air "Montserrat" 1081s, which are also an option in the AMS-Neve 88R console.

Am keen to compare them to our 1073s....stand by for the report next week. We'll be putting them through their paces with a U47 and a Blue Bottle on vocals, and on a full drum kit.

Anyone tried them out yet...or used them with an 88R? Any experiences to report?

Hey Jon,

They aren't the EQ's just the mic pre's.

The mic pre/EQ alone is $5K(I own 2 and payed alot).

I compared them to an original and they were pretty comparable.
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

How much for that set up? :eek:
Old 12th March 2003
Gear Addict

I had the thrilling opportunity to track at Skywalker Sound two weeks ago. They have the 88R with 24 remote 1081's and 24 remote Air M.'s. In a word, WOW!

Not only are the pre's amazing, but the sonic difference between amplifying close to the source rather than through hundreds of feet of cable in the walls is staggering.

The 1081's were fat and warm, with solid lows and magical highs. The AIR's were more solid and defined, with a more agressive high end, but by no means edgy or harsh.

I, too, will be looking to the day when I will cart a 12 pack around with me! (Or I could commit to never tracking anywhere but Skywalker! That was truly a dream!)

Peace.

mixboy
Old 12th March 2003
Lives for gear

At the scoring stage? did they replace the VX?

-dg
Old 13th March 2003
Gear Addict

Yes, the V is history.

And did I mention that I'll never be happy cutting drums ANYWHERE else?

Peace.

mixboy
Old 14th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Yeah..i hope/wish there are more 88's...I love neve...love flying fader style automation...ssl isn't even in the same league (sonically or with the ease and control of flyingfaders)....
Old 29th August 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
We'll be trying out the new Neve 1081 remote 12-pack rack next week...
I know I'm kinda raising this thread from the dead, but Jon, what were your impressions of the remote unit? Which type of module did you check out: the maroon knob (classic early 70's) or the blue knob (late 70's version). I haven't really seen these anywhere. I assume that's due to cost?
Old 29th August 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jon

Hi

Just for the sake of accuracy... AIR Monserratt was fitted with 31106 channel amplifiers whose frequencies and circuitry was different from any Neve module that preceeded them. They phantomed dc down the mic line to a remote controlled mic amp that was located in the studio.

The AMS-Neve 1081's are assuredly great modules but there's minimal connection between them and the AIR consoles.

Old 29th August 2003
Capitol Studios Paris

Thanks, Geoff.

E-cue, the Neve dealer never brought them over as promised. I ended up buying another AD8000SE, 4 Chandler TG2s, a pair of Royers, and a 4-rack of IBPs instead.

Old 29th August 2003
Re: Re: Neve 1081 12-pack rack

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff_T
The AMS-Neve 1081's are assuredly great modules but there's minimal connection between them and the AIR consoles.
Sounds like AMS-Neve has some explanation to do.......?!
Old 29th August 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: Neve 1081 12-pack rack

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindell
Sounds like AMS-Neve has some explanation to do.......?!
Hi

I think that the dealer probably stretched the myth slightly. I don't think AMS-Neve would have worded it like that.

The new AMS-Neve modules work the remote control bit digitally which is much more practical with current computer technology.

The original system phantomed dc volts down the mic cable and this controlled a string of FETs across the gain resistors of the 1034 IC on the remote mic pre input.

This circuit was designed by one of my colleagues (read about him on the news page of our web site) after Rupert's original circuit didn't work.

Old 30th August 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: Re: Neve 1081 12-pack rack

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff_T
Hi

I think that the dealer probably stretched the myth slightly. I don't think AMS-Neve would have worded it like that.
Quote:
Originally posted at AMS - Neve

"AMS Neve currently offer two types of modules: the classic 1081 from the early 70’s identified by the maroon knob; and the Air Monserrat mic amp taken from the late 70’s legendary console and identified by the blue knob."
tutt
Old 30th August 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Neve 1081 12-pack rack

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue

AMS Neve currently offer two types of modules: the classic 1081 from the early 70’s identified by the maroon knob; and the Air Monserrat mic amp taken from the late 70’s legendary console and identified by the blue knob
tutt
Hi

Note the subtle difference between that statement and the one at the top. It says the Air Monserrat mic amp .... not the Air Monserrat 1081...

Old 30th August 2003
Lives for gear

Gotcha!

At 1st read I wouldn't have known. Thanks for the knowledge Geoff!
Old 30th August 2003
"I ended up buying (edit) a 4-rack of IBPs instead."

I want to hear ALL about how you use these over the coming weeks, I feel I "need" the same at my studio too... Please start a seperate thread, or dig up an existing IBP thread & update it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search