The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Seventh Circle Audio N72!!
Old 3rd May 2005
Lives for gear

Seventh Circle Audio N72!!

Wow!! I'm very impressed with the N72 module. So far I've used it with a 47, 251 and Schoeps CMC6 - on vocals, acous and elec guitars, and bass. It's been great on everything. The best recording I've been able to get of acous guitar to date, and my Randall MTS modules sound BEEEE-autiful going into this (after a Palmer cab sim, of course. Don't skip that step if going direct).

Now I have the bug to get a few more. It seems like the API would be another good flavor for guitars. True?
Old 3rd May 2005
Lives for gear

I have a pair of the N72's and a pair of the J99's and I also have a Randall RM50 head with Deluxe and Plexi modules. Now to complete my mirror imaging of your setup I suppose I have to buy a 251, 47 and CMC6's. -----I wish.

The J99 is amazing on bass (my main instrument), overheads, acoustic guitar and vocals. They made my old Peavey VMP-2 sound tiny by comparison. I bought them instead of more N72's because the late Stephen Paul had said (on his old recording.org forum) that the Jensen Twin Servo design was, in his opinion, the finest mic preamp design out there. I took his word for it and I'm not sorry.

In addition to electric guitars I love the N72's on kick and snare. Rock and roll all the way.
Old 3rd May 2005
Lives for gear

Indeed!! As the owner of a 6 pack (a pair of all 3 types), I couldn't be happier! I am gonna add more channels of them in the very near future!! It's a LOVE thing!!
Old 3rd May 2005
Gear Addict

I would love to hear some samples! thumbsup
Old 3rd May 2005
Gear Maniac

Elambo, how much did you pay for the N72? Did you buy it pre-built?
Old 4th May 2005
Gear Head

Come on.. Building them are the best part..

I agree.. the N72's sound great.. We built two of them and I am going to order two of the J99 shortly..

Fun project that sounds great!!

-Brad
Old 4th May 2005
Lives for gear

I bought them preassembled. I really wanted to put them together because the process sounds kinda fun, but I just can't make the time to do it.

I had huge respect for Stephen Paul, so if he said that about the Jensens then I'm quite tempted to get them next.

I bought them BEFORE the price increase. Like a day or two before. Now the secret's out and they're starting to rise, partly due to posts like this one here. We should probably keep our mouths shut instead, at least until we get the chance to fill up our chassis.
Old 4th May 2005
Lives for gear

Here are some samples of SCA preamps. All electric guitars, kick and snare are N72's. All bass through Ditto D.I. to J99, all vocals and acoustic guitars J99's.

"Clementine"
http://www.songramp.com/view.ez?sampleid=23715

"Always Ending In A"
http://www.songramp.com/view.ez?sampleid=23714

"Palmetto and Powerline"
http://www.songramp.com/view.ez?sampleid=23534

"Ghost"
http://www.songramp.com/view.ez?sampleid=23450

"Beautiful You"
http://www.songramp.com/view.ez?sampleid=18249
Old 4th May 2005
Lives for gear

What about the cymbals?

The vocals sound great by the way. Smooth, big, great transient action.
Old 4th May 2005

is the j99 similar to the John Hardy M-1?

"Always ends in A" is an awesome song. What kind of mic was used for vocals?
Old 4th May 2005
Don't forget Dr Moog's Theremin kits.

Its more of an assembly job than an actual build from scratch but you do get to practice both your electronics and your wood finishing skills (just a little beeswax on mine, looks brilliant).

& thanks for the links Labs I will be checking out some of the projects definitely.
Old 4th May 2005
Lives for gear

I finally got to hear the Seventh Circle stuff thanks to a buddy and I'm impressed.
I like the option of potentially having the various flavors in one box.
Old 4th May 2005
I just ordered 7 A12s a few weeks back. I can't wait!!! I think they should fit in nicely with my TG2 and MP-2NV and 473. 7 Channels of API'ish, 6 channels of Neve'ish and 2 channels of EMI'ish should be way cool....

thumbsup
Old 4th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone
What about the cymbals?

The vocals sound great by the way. Smooth, big, great transient action.
Drum Overheads were through a Peavey VMP-2 Tube preamp. I now use the J99's on overheads with mics that have pads. My old overhead mics didn't have pads when I was recording the samples you heard and the J99's were overloading with too much signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefcasemanx
is the j99 similar to the John Hardy M-1?

"Always ends in A" is an awesome song. What kind of mic was used for vocals?
Thanks for the compliment - MXL V67 mic through the J99's and a Fatso in 1176 type "Tracking" mode for all vocals.

The J99 is similar to the John Hardy Twin Servo. the M-1 has a single 990c opamp, while the Twin Servo uses two. My J99's actually use the genuine Hardy 990c's, but I've heard tell the SCA SC25 opamp sounds excellent as well.
Old 4th May 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Cool stuff. If I wasn't so useless with electronics I would like to try Gyraff's Calrec EQ or the SSL comp. Did I say I was useless?
Old 4th May 2005
500 series nutjob

nice links labs
thanks
Old 4th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brado32
Come on.. Building them are the best part..

-Brad

I`m thinking that`s the way to go as well. You can save about $1500 on a full 8 pre kit that way.

About how long did it take you to build the 2 N72`s Brad ?
Old 4th May 2005
Lives for gear
Yeah, I would try some of this DIY stuff, but I don't want to "black-out" you guys studios when I turn it on after assembling it!.... heh
Old 4th May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs
Couldnt be easier m8.
Get bill of materials/components list and order parts (for the compressor the VCAs can sometimes be a problem, but they are usually avaliable in groupbuys on groupdiy.com)
Silkscreen on PCB shows all components placement, so if you can read numbers and solder you can populate the PCB.
In case of any problems, use groupdiy.com. Lots of helpfull people there.

I only ever soldered mic cables and patchbays before doing a few of these projects.

Gustav
I have been wanting to go this route as well. The biggest hold up for me was always the metal fab work. I don't have a shop and most of the kits don't come with a box. The SCA stuff does that is why I went with them and I think Tim is on the right track. If a company were to put out designs that were cool (like Tim) and they included a kit with no metal fab work (like Tim) they would do really well (like Tim)....
heh
I know that there are some places were you can get the metal work but it always seems like a pain in the a$$, am I missing something??
Old 4th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
I have been wanting to go this route as well. The biggest hold up for me was always the metal fab work. I don't have a shop and most of the kits don't come with a box. The SCA stuff does that is why I went with them and I think Tim is on the right track. If a company were to put out designs that were cool (like Tim) and they included a kit with no metal fab work (like Tim) they would do really well (like Tim)....
heh
I know that there are some places were you can get the metal work but it always seems like a pain in the a$$, am I missing something??

I`ve got a friend who`s been welding/metalworking for about ten years now and he allways seems eager to help out friends. If we paid him a bit he`d probably be pshyched to make up some stuff for us.

We could get an underground network of super cheap DIY high end gear floating around Gearslutz.
Old 4th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs
You could also check out the case suppliers I listed links for ?

Gustav
Whoops ! Missed that. Sorry Labs. heh
Old 5th May 2005
Gear Maniac

Has anyone thought about making the chassis out of wood? What would be the risks? A wooden one would look soooo dope with a smooth varnished finish. You could drill the holes out yourself.
Old 5th May 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offender
Has anyone thought about making the chassis out of wood? What would be the risks? A wooden one would look soooo dope with a smooth varnished finish. You could drill the holes out yourself.
These are very high gain devices, and will pick up hum at the drop of a hat. A number of folks have tried to roll their own chassis and been unhappy with the results (if you can't identify mu-metal, don't try.) I suppose if you knew what you were doing it would be possible.

FWIW, I've built eight channels, four N72s, two A12s, and two J99s. The N72s are the most work (since they're discrete rather using opamps) but I was knocking them off in about four hours (with a bit of ramp-up for the first one.) I built a lot of Heathkits back in the day, so I knew how to solder and sort out the parts and such.

These kits aren't really for the first-timer, unless you're really motivated, as the instructions are pretty limited ("add all the resistors") and make the assumption that you know a tantalum capacitor from a hole in the ground. Tim's support is really good, however, if you have trouble, and he is way more patient than I would be with the serious newbies.

My only complaint was that the fit and finish on the chassis could have been better--the cards all required a bit of filing here and there to get them in. But all eight worked the first time and sounded great in limited testing. Now all I need is to finish my studio to put them in.

I took one of each to our esteemed moderator's studio last December and I believe that he was suitably impressed (enough so that Tim is coming to the next workshop, IIRC.)
Old 5th May 2005
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatz42
... I took one of each to our esteemed moderator's studio last December and I believe that he was suitably impressed (enough so that Tim is coming to the next workshop, IIRC.)
Yes, loved 'em. I have 4 original APIs (one is serial number 009) and the SCA sounded almost identical, if anything a little tighter in the low end, which is a good thing. I'm getting a chassis with 4xA12s and 2xN72s (I have 8 channels of Hardy M1, so no real need for the J99s). Tim mentioned that he had also somehting new up his sleeve, which might fill the last two channels. Don't know what it is yet, though

And yes, Tim is coming to the workshop in June and so is Wade from Chandler, looks like it will be fun.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search