The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who recorded MGMT album??? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Who recorded MGMT album???

Im just wondering who recorded the MGMT album, Oracular Spectacluar and what console was used....Also was wondering how you got the kick drum to get through bass so nicely....and what specific equipment was used....thanks.

-Daniel
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

I believe that it was produced by David Fridmann...

thats all I got.
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Is David a GS member? What does anyone else think of the album? Anyone know anything?

-Dan
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Is David Bowie himself experiencing a lot of renewed interest these days? Elton John? Chicago? T.Rex? Seems that's what the hipsterz are mining these days. Sort of the 70's artists trying to renew themselves with 80's synths and beats sound.

I'm just listening to the Itunes clips. Generally the way you get the low end right like that is you don't over-crank the sub bass and you sit the kick up above the bass guitar. Less is more.
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Nut

Dave is infinitely talented, yes it was him.
This band is a POS without his production...
Watch a live youtube and see...

BTW high end???
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowWhat View Post

BTW high end???
Ya never checked them on youtube or any vids, etc...I as mainly guessing the production was high end....and you guys would know a thing or two about it....when I crank it up the kick just comes through the bassline real nice and the production seems to be pretty high quality. Im not saying this is the best album or anything...but its something that caught my ear and I would love to know more about how it was produced and what gear was used, along with any techniques that were used in recording it....maybe from David himself....but if not, its cool.

-Dan
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowWhat View Post

BTW high end???
HOLYSH**!!! Just actually got curious and saw them on youtube live.....wow....ya point taken....biggups majorly David.....w/o him....not so good.

-Dan
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdan138 View Post
Im just wondering who recorded the MGMT album, Oracular Spectacluar and what console was used....Also was wondering how you got the kick drum to get through bass so nicely....and what specific equipment was used....thanks.

-Daniel
You should more specifically be asking, who mixed it.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

allmusic.com sez

Quote:
Greg Calbi Mastering
Dave Fridmann Producer, Engineer, Mixing
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
allmusic.com sez
Many thanks....I guess I will just try to wait until he responds to this...if hes a member.....

-Dan
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Addict

Dave Fridmann is awesome.
There is a fantastic interview with him in a previous issue of Tape Op.. If any of you read it.

The work he's done with MGMT is great, as is the stuff with Flaming lips/Sparklehorse etc. The production work on the MGMT stuff is really good.. He's done a superb job at getting that band to sound good.

MGMT as a band and live in my opinion are atrocious.

The problem I have with them is they're like kids, who prance about on stage wearing bandanas and "psychedelic" clothes.. Acting like they're part of a musical revolution which frankly, had its day a long time ago, and was done right.

I've never been one for revival tripe.. But these guys aren't established enough yet to behave the way they do in my opinion..
It's like a big fake gimmick to me.

Fridmann tho.. Legend
Old 6th September 2008
Gear Addict

Check out Dave's studio where mgmt etc are made :

Tarbox Road Studios

Pretty cool gear..

diggin' the new Mercury Rev material on their myspace.
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Do people just not look at liner notes anymore?

I'm always confused at questions like this.

- c
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

- c
Borrowed CD from my sis....WONT give it back because the production is too good....song #8 about 2-3 mins in....the bass and guitars going....damn.....too good.....I think Im going to loop that part for an hour and listen to it on long drives haha! But to answer your question, I dont have the liner notes....because I only have the CD....my sis has the liner and its probably lost....somewhere in outer space....

-Dan
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Addict

I was told a lot of the programming was done in Reason.. which might explain why everything sounds slightly crunchy,

Love the album! A breath of fresh air this year if you ask me. Not denying it doesn't have some heavy influences but still something unique in the current market.
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue May View Post
I was told a lot of the programming was done in Reason.. which might explain why everything sounds slightly crunchy,

Love the album! A breath of fresh air this year if you ask me. Not denying it doesn't have some heavy influences but still something unique in the current market.
Ya thats a great way to put it....breath of fresh air. I am just disappointed about the whole live thing...and how they are horrible live....oh well...I guess I will just rock out to the cd for a while longer....and why does reason give it crunch? What specifically makes it have the crunch, due solely to reason?

-Dan
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ya thats a great way to put it....breath of fresh air. I am just disappointed about the whole live thing...and how they are horrible live....oh well...I guess I will just rock out to the cd for a while longer....and why does reason give it crunch? What specifically makes it have the crunch, due solely to reason?

-Dan
I wouldn't say their always awful live. I saw them at Glastonbury a lot of people said they were the best all weekend..

I also think they were pretty good at this abbey road session...

Those Abbey Road engineers sure know what they are doing.
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Nut

man, go see them live for yourself than make up your mind. They are a great live band and write great songs...

you tube vids dont do it justice a bootleg from the crowd, comeon ! would that album sound good on the worse bitrate mp3 you could make? whats teh diff ! :P
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I wouldn't say their always awful live. I saw them at Glastonbury a lot of people said they were the best all weekend..

I also think they were pretty good at this abbey road session...

Those Abbey Road engineers sure know what they are doing.
Was that just me or did it sound like they had backup vocals playing low and they were singing with them....I will be sure to check them out if they come here locally....thanks for the tip. Those engineers are great at Abbey Road.....Anyone know if Dave is a member here?

-Dan
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

I was really impressed with the production of this album.

Congrats Dave.

It has the 70's funky-mojo, 80's synths n´beats, 90's indie philosophy and 2k production.

To me one of the best thought out productions I've heard. On an emotional side, I really love 85% of the album, not really crazy about the rest.

... but, I dont think it an album to withstand time.

All round, one of the most exiting albums I've heard in a long time

Last edited by Big_Bang; 8th September 2008 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: ablum in when you hear a record before coffee...
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Nut

Doesn't anyone think the first track is totally over compressed? I played it to a audio mate and he had to turn it off coz it was so squashed.

Dont get me wrong - it's a wikid LP - great songs and great production but the most compressed thing I've ever heard in this genre....
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Maniac

The album is great! And they are not crap live. At the show I saw, they did sorta screw it up at the end, when they played "Kids" without the band. It was just the two guys singing to a backtrack - pretty lame. But up until then it was a really good show.

The production is great, and really makes the most out of them, but it is not like there is nothing underneath.

Petter
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

I've just done a remix of Kids and yes, there's some Reason programmed parts on there. Beautiful room drum sounds too.
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.F. View Post
I've just done a remix of Kids and yes, there's some Reason programmed parts on there. Beautiful room drum sounds too.
Are you the "Dave Fridmann?"

-Dan
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Addict

No.
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

- c
There's usually not liner notes with torrented music.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyPeru View Post
There's usually not liner notes with torrented music.

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
?????????????

- Dan
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
?????????????

- Dan
yea you are right Dan, there is always the nfo.
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
yea you are right Dan, there is always the nfo.
Not trying to be right....just lost on where anyone brought up torrents....thats all.

-Dan
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker3 View Post
man, go see them live for yourself than make up your mind. They are a great live band and write great songs...

you tube vids dont do it justice a bootleg from the crowd, comeon ! would that album sound good on the worse bitrate mp3 you could make? whats teh diff ! :P
Seen them three times live now, same set every time.. including the ridiculous karaoke sh*t at the end.

I just think they're a bit rubbish live.

Just an opinion like.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search