The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who recorded MGMT album??? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 29th December 2009
Well it's not like they're stars or anything. Just another band with nothing profound to offer at this point. They aren't exceptional really in any way. I don't see it as much pressure to live up to. Maybe this time around they'll produce an actual big hit.
Old 30th December 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
Well it's not like they're stars or anything. Just another band with nothing profound to offer at this point. They aren't exceptional really in any way. I don't see it as much pressure to live up to. Maybe this time around they'll produce an actual big hit.
That's a fair observation. They haven't really done much by way of charting, but they did get pretty rave reviews.
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear
I don't know when you are on all the ring tone commercials i would say that's pretty popular. kids and electric feel were some of the most popular ring tones of this year and the president of france used the song kids as his re election theme song.
Old 31st December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 View Post
I don't know when you are on all the ring tone commercials i would say that's pretty popular. kids and electric feel were some of the most popular ring tones of this year and the president of france used the song kids as his re election theme song.
Pretty popular is Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Kings of Leon, Greenday, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Kanye West, Jay-Z, Nickelback, The Killers, The Black Eyed Peas, The Jonas Brothers, Mariah Carey, etc...

By comparison, who the f*ck is MGMT? How much have they sold again? Oh yeah...
Old 31st December 2009
Where I live in Canada (Saskatchewan) they were a huge underground hit that everyone was listening and made the dancefloor explode when I and others would dj it at parties - great production on the album which brings it all together (that distorted sound is hard to listen to for long periods, but is instantly gratifying ear candy in the context of a dj mix) - not a phenomonal band in terms of players, but they do have a sound and can ride the wave - it more about the aesthetic and feeling of the whole package, rather than being a showcase for any one virtuoso.

I think they are great - love em....they are an exciting musical moment, if not a sales miracle.

(BTW - I am not even sure you can have a mainstream hit these days without making it pop crap like most of the "big" artists listed by Liz - I would be happy to not be in this company if I was an artist)
Old 31st December 2009
Yet those folks are selling big and that's what almost everybody, when they're honest, wants to be like when they envision being a popular professional musician. All of this idealism about not wanting to put out crap like the pop acts of today is a bunch of immature bull. If you are selling your music you want to sell enough of it to make sure that you can live comfortably. You do that by writing and performing hits. If you can't get a hit it's not because people won't buy your music, despite it being hot. It's that your music isn't hot.

I would be happy to not be broke and hungry as an artist that has ideals that they won't sacrifice for commerce. Who are we kidding anyway? MGMT doesn't play all that well in the first place and their songs aren't making much of a splash in the culture of music anyhow so what ideals would they be sticking to that are preventing them from selling? They're not selling because their current sound isn't hot. Will it be hot? Who knows? But I don't think it will simply because it doesn't have a very interesting angle in the first place.

Music entertainment if done on the large scale is a business and if you don't like what's out then write songs that millions of people want to hear that sound better than what's out. It's not anyone's fault but the buying public that things are the way they are now. But the people like good music when you present it to them. Could it be that "underground" groups that don't really sell much, despite trying in earnest, actually don't have something that most people want to hear? I think so.

I would be perfectly fine with a few pop hits. I suspect that anyone who wouldn't be is either stupid or doesn't value money. I do value money because I've got bills to pay and I don't like punching a clock. Screw all the artistic idealism. I'll get idealistic when I'm financially independent. For an artist coming from the bottom, it's wise to concentrate on getting to the top and not being so concerned about subjective, nebulous ideals of artistic integrity. Write songs that are a balance of what you think is cool and what you think might sell. Once you get the ball rolling, you can get more self indulgent.
Old 31st December 2009
I think that todays market is just totally fragmented and fvcked up - I have no problem with commercial success, but I personally could never release music that main purpose was to just to sell. Why not do both? I think lots of indie bands are fine with "limited" success, if it means they can make art that they love - everyone wants to pays the bills, but people have a lot of different motivations for making music.

And some people do TOTALLY connect with MGMT - it's just not for you - Where's the problem? - you clearly have different tastes and goals - it's what keeps it all interesting.

(BTW I have read a lot of your threads in the past both here and at your other forum and have greatly enjoyed all your insights and tips)
Old 31st December 2009
I see where you're coming from. I think what you're saying makes sense. I think at this point we agree.

For the record, I don't dislike MGMT. I'm just not mightily impressed at this point. That could change with time.
Old 31st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could it be that "underground" groups that don't really sell much, despite trying in earnest, actually don't have something that most people want to hear? I think so.
In the current evolution of the music industry, I expect fewer and fewer acts will have the wherewithal to sell as much as a handful of megastars are doing today. Those lower echelons are the future.
Old 31st December 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Pretty popular is Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Kings of Leon, Greenday, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Kanye West, Jay-Z, Nickelback, The Killers, The Black Eyed Peas, The Jonas Brothers, Mariah Carey, etc...

By comparison, who the f*ck is MGMT? How much have they sold again? Oh yeah...

i'm not sure what your point is, this might be the most nonsensical series of posts i have ever seen on here. I wonder how many acts you can name after that "etc...."? that is rarefied air these days. MGMT is a smashing success for a new band's debut album by any definition in the current climate. They have exceeded every expectation. They are showing up on best of the year and best of the decade lists left and right.

As you so astutely point out, they aren't Carrie Underwood or Taylor Swift. That was never part of the plan for them and to judge them on that basis makes zero sense.
Old 31st December 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSleep View Post
i'm not sure what your point is, this might be the most nonsensical series of posts i have ever seen on here. I wonder how many acts you can name after that "etc...."? that is rarefied air these days. MGMT is a smashing success for a new band's debut album by any definition in the current climate. They have exceeded every expectation. They are showing up on best of the year and best of the decade lists left and right.

As you so astutely point out, they aren't Carrie Underwood or Taylor Swift. That was never part of the plan for them and to judge them on that basis makes zero sense.
My point was in response to the post above it. I was naming artist that everyone knows and recognizes as evidence of what "pretty popular" would be in today's market. My point was that MGMT doesn't qualify.

If you want to insult you might take it somewhere else. I've got no use for all of that here. I wasn't being nonsensical.
Old 1st January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My point was in response to the post above it. I was naming artist that everyone knows and recognizes as evidence of what "pretty popular" would be in today's market. My point was that MGMT doesn't qualify.

If you want to insult you might take it somewhere else. I've got no use for all of that here. I wasn't being nonsensical.
MGMT are pretty well established. I don't see the point in arguing about that. Fantastic record, as well...
Old 1st January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith View Post
MGMT are pretty well established. I don't see the point in arguing about that. Fantastic record, as well...
+1

their songs are all over adverts, radio, films, tv programmes, at least here in the uk. You make a LOT of money doing that, needless to say
Old 1st January 2010
I seriously doubt they make a LOT of money. I've seen their tour setup. But that's really not the point. The point is that they are not what most folks, at least in the US would call popular.
Old 1st January 2010
Well, I think they are clearly "popular", they're just not megastars...
Old 2nd January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I wasn't being nonsensical.
Top Artist Charts – Last.fm

"Kids" is still a huge hit in the clubs of London, Paris, New York... Most kids have no idea who Carrie Underwood is.
Old 2nd January 2010
There are a thousand hip club bands that never really become all that popular (the Strokes, Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, ect..). They're all really cool but they don't have a wide audience because they don't write hits. I think it's exceptionally obtuse to say that "most kids don't know who Carrie Underwood is" being that she was on American Idol and that's how she got her start and she's sold millions of albums in the couple of years since. Besides that, you know who Carrie Underwood is. In fact almost all of you know who all of the people I mentioned earlier are. That's popular, which is my point. Calling them megastars doesn't make them somehow other than popular, it just makes them very popular. I can go out to 100 random people on the street and I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of them would know most of the people I listed. That's popular. MGMT is hardly that. I've heard of them and followed some of their stuff. They're getting there. But really they're not all that popular yet around here (the US) and that's been my point. Sorry to offend you if you like their angle.

That doesn't mean that I don't like them altogether. I think they've got a shot. It just ain't all that special sounding right now. They also don't play all that well right now. They don't suck, but they don't reel me in either. It's just kind of whatever at this point. When MGMT makes something that I think is hot I'll buy it and go to their shows. When millions of people think the same around here then I'll be the first to put them in the list of current popular artists.
Old 2nd January 2010
Quote:
There are a thousand hip club bands that never really become all that popular (the Strokes, Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, ect..). They're all really cool but they don't have a wide audience because they don't write hits. I think it's exceptionally obtuse to say that "most kids don't know who Carrie Underwood is" being that she was on American Idol and that's how she got her start and she's sold millions of albums in the couple of years since. Besides that, you know who Carrie Underwood is. In fact almost all of you know who all of the people I mentioned earlier are. That's popular, which is my point. Calling them megastars doesn't make them somehow other than popular, it just makes them very popular.
Well calling them a "hip club band" doesn't make them somehow other than popular either, just less popular than the MOST mainstream acts - I dont even think that most artists want to be "up there" with Brittany and Nickleback - to be there means that most of your music is probably over produced/slick "product" which is designed to appeal to the least common denominator (hey, America's Funniest Home Videos is very popular too, but it aint good). Occasionally some good stuff does get into the "hit" zone, but for the most part I find it unlistenable. I dont think it's popularity has any more to do with the quality of the music than the promo of the megacompanies and having a generic enough sound that is following the trends without being too ahead of its time (and yes, "top" pop music sounds good technically, but the content is often crap).

But - MGMT are still popular, and I have never heard of Carrie Underwood....popularity is a sliding scale, not an absolute

(and the really good part of MGMT is the album production, not the live show)
Old 2nd January 2010
You're right dude. You're so right. MGMT is popular and who the hell is Carrie Underwood?

Also, I'm a total lame for thinking that anything mainstream would be an aspiration for an ultra classic band like MGMT; a band that clearly will go down in history as one of the most popular bands of this decade.

Nuff said.
Old 2nd January 2010
You're right babe. You're so right. Carrie Underwood is popular and who the hell is MGMT?

------------------

Why do you feel the need to twist what I said? I am just using your own logic to discuss your very strong ideas - I think that MGMT probably has taken a lot of inspiration from famous pop acts of previous decades.

I do think that popularity does not just include the most famous people of our time - they do not own the concept, just because they have the most fans. (In fact it is very hard to be that "popular" with all the noise in the media of today).

I do not think that MGMT are the most popular band ever - I never said that. I think they are VERY popular with a certain segment of people.

I am not your straw man. Please dont make up what I am saying just so you can sound superior. If you would like to actually discuss something we can debate - if you just want to be right, well I'm outta here....

This is very disapointing behaviour from someone who is a professional. Based on you tone at other forums, I would think that you would like to raise the standard of GS, not bully other posters into agreeing with your point.

BTW - I never said you were lame - in fact I complimented you for your previous posts and assistance to others.

We just disagree - adults can do that....

(and I really have never heard of Carrie Underwood - sorry)
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You're right dude. You're so right. MGMT is popular and who the hell is Carrie Underwood?

Also, I'm a total lame for thinking that anything mainstream would be an aspiration for an ultra classic band like MGMT; a band that clearly will go down in history as one of the most popular bands of this decade.

Nuff said.
I'm not sure why you feel the need to resort to feisty rhetoric, but it doesn't make you any less wrong.

"Kids" is currently 13th most played among ALL SONGS on last.fm, over a year after the record release.

Two more MGMT songs are in the top 40 right now.

Is that somehow not good enough for a "hit"?

No sight of Underwood or Carey songs in the charts (top 420).

There are other ways to measure popularity, but this is as valid as any. MGMT today are indeed a popular band by any reasonable definition of the word.

Now can we please get back to discussing production?
Old 3rd January 2010
Like I said guys MGMT are definitely popular. I'm wrong.

Somehow I stupidly thought the most verifiable and provable sign of popularity in this thing called the music business was actually selling millions of units or headlining large sellout tours. But I guess just over a million sold world wide is now considered popular.

Perhaps I'm being too hard on them. But having some familiarity with the music business and simply guessing from the outside I'd say that they qualify as an up and coming band that is gaining a following but isn't really all that popular yet. But I suppose I'm wrong for taking that approach as it is much more rational to simply call them popular and agree with you guys.

I stand corrected.
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Somehow I stupidly thought the most verifiable and provable sign of popularity in this thing called the music business was actually selling millions of units or headlining large sellout tours. But I guess just over a million sold world wide is now considered popular.

Perhaps I'm being too hard on them. But having some familiarity with the music business and simply guessing from the outside I'd say that they qualify as an up and coming band that is gaining a following but isn't really all that popular yet. But I suppose I'm wrong for taking that approach as it is much more rational to simply call them popular and agree with you guys.

I stand corrected.
Dear Madam, (*I'm sorry Liz I didn't see your name clearly printed there...it was awful late when I wrote my reply)

Unfortunately the Clear Channel Broadcasting / oversaturating the kids with media and advertising method isn't selling CD's, Vinyls or even those good old digital downloads like it used to.

Bands and artists are going to have to strive to create niche markets through branding and quality productions / touring. Because that's the only avenues they have left to them in the world that the old way of doing business has left us in it's wake of largess and fiscal irresponsibility...the good news is that there are more direct ways to market yourself to people who have similar tastes in music via the internet and through decent publicists / digital radio stations.

But even with those markets being easier to penetrate to a degree...Publishing contracts are hard to get, and few and far between, groups like MGMT snagging that line of work is no mean feat if you're not some bubblegum pop scarlett pimped out by your parents at a young age, or some canadian mysoginist posing as a sensitive type whose mission in life is to ape Eddie Vedder's voice for the one-millionth time.

So Hannah Montanna and Nickleback sell records...but how much do they spend advertising that stuff so that every asshole and their mother in the universe are forced to accept these things as "the norm"?

That stuff isn't music, it barely qualifies as a product. It's just a Big Mac or a Quarter Pounder with Cheese. MGMT isn't my favorite band in the slightest, but I will defend them as at least a couple of guys trying to make music rather than purely manufacture it.
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I stand corrected.
Liz, some of your statements are so outrageous and bizarre that I had to google you. Is this you? I'm presuming not. But I had to ask, it was the first thing that came up when I googled your name. I don't ever google anybody, but I just googled you. Your statements are... quite impressive...

Your gauge of popularity is limited only to Carrie Underwood/Taylor Swift-type market ubiquity? Someone who sells a millions of records in Wal-Mart, Best Buy type scenarios?

And nothing less than total "American Idol" type saturation merits the description "popular"? Am I reading you right?

I'm trying to grasp... what your world is, I guess. Where these values are coming from. 'Cause they seem... quite extreme.

Can you tell us a little bit about your work?

- c
Old 3rd January 2010
That is not her - The correct Liz is the one who wrote these insightful blog posts:

Enlightened Hand « Blogosphere One

The New Studio: In the beginning there was the source

Which are right on the money and advocate respect for proper recording techniques.
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Who is Carrie Underwood? I didn't see her at all the festivals this summer...
Old 3rd January 2010
I'm not that girl on the myspace. You guys seem to be a bit slow to understand (not surprising really given the amount of dreamers without understanding of the realities of the music business). Carrie Underwood isn't the point. I don't even like her or much of any country music. She was one name from a list. But anyway, the point is that she's sold over 10 million albums, won multiple Grammys, was voted artist of the year, and is well known.

That's popular.

What has MGMT done? A few usages of their songs, a few festivals, a few headlining shows and a grammy nomination, all of this with just over a million sold world wide. So who's popular in this business? They're lucky if they can fill a single stadium.

Wake up guys. They are just a new hip band and judging by the way they sound they aren't going to be that big in the long run. But who really knows? Maybe trends will change in their favor. For now they are only slightly more than nobody in the grand scheme of the music business. I know all of you guys like to represent what you might consider quality, but on top of being relatively obscure, they are also not that great musically.

I know it's not "cool" to call it what it is and say that pop music is actually popular because a lot of people buy it and attend showings of it but that's the truth. I say again, who the hell is MGMT? A relatively obscure, up and coming band that may or may not be anything in a couple of years and that have sold just enough to make a bit of living if they happen to have a good recording contract and they manage their money right. OMG what a popular beast they are.

Get over yourselves.
Old 3rd January 2010
You are totally hostile - whats your problem???

No one cares if they are "cool" or "lame" when talking about MGMT - we are not trying to get street cred or show how underground we are - you have created this in your own mind. I simply like MGMT and they are popular by any reasonable judgment of the modern market - I personally could care less how cool you or I are perceived to be.....

I looked up Carrie Underwood - who the fvck cares about that ****e??? Maybe you need some time away from the "industry" as you seem burnt out - To many jobs making crap commercial music perhaps?

Go lie on a beach and chill out...
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

If there are only a handful of truly popular acts, then the definition of "popular" equals "superstar".

MGMT are not superstars yet. But I think what those who are debating EH are trying to say is that they are definitely established and are among the leaders in their genre. That's pretty successful so far, and popular enough to turn the heads of anyone in the industry.
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm not that girl on the myspace. You guys seem to be a bit slow to understand (not surprising really given the amount of dreamers without understanding of the realities of the music business). Carrie Underwood isn't the point. I don't even like her or much of any country music. She was one name from a list. But anyway, the point is that she's sold over 10 million albums, won multiple Grammys, was voted artist of the year, and is well known.

That's popular.

What has MGMT done? A few usages of their songs, a few festivals, a few headlining shows and a grammy nomination, all of this with just over a million sold world wide. So who's popular in this business? They're lucky if they can fill a single stadium.

Wake up guys. They are just a new hip band and judging by the way they sound they aren't going to be that big in the long run. But who really knows? Maybe trends will change in their favor. For now they are only slightly more than nobody in the grand scheme of the music business. I know all of you guys like to represent what you might consider quality, but on top of being relatively obscure, they are also not that great musically.

I know it's not "cool" to call it what it is and say that pop music is actually popular because a lot of people buy it and attend showings of it but that's the truth. I say again, who the hell is MGMT? A relatively obscure, up and coming band that may or may not be anything in a couple of years and that have sold just enough to make a bit of living if they happen to have a good recording contract and they manage their money right. OMG what a popular beast they are.

Get over yourselves.
wow - i feel bad for anyone who looks at music this way and talks to peers this way.

replace 'MGMT' with black flag, husker du, fugazi, big star, the replacements, television, teengenerate, the sonics, the swingin neckbreakers, and any other band that has influenced millions and or broken new ground in music but never sold out a stadium much less a record pressing. those are the classic examples from my generation...i know 10 bands off the top of my head in my area who i feel fit the bill as well but will never be known outside of town.

success in music, for a lot of us, isn't defined by making a million dollars or pleasing anyone who wants to define musicians by units moved. it's about making successful music - whether anyone hears it - or likes it - or not.

good luck to you regardless.

Mike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search