The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who recorded MGMT album??? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 11th May 2009
Lives for gear

From what I can tell having seen a couple of the multis, it was mixed OTB. "Electric Feel" was like 23 tracks, 10 or so of them were live drums, then a stereo Reason Kit, a Reason Bass, a handful of synths and some guitars & vocals. Nothing too complicated.
The electronic stuff was pretty dirtied up already.

Good production.
Old 3rd June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokemusician3 View Post
My two cents the recording quality sounds like crap it was obviously done ITB with cheap equipment. The record is mostly midi production and the guy doing the midi stuff is one hell of a composer it's genius stuff, the songs are great at least the hits are. As far as the producer it would be my guess that his contributions were mainly in mixing the record which he did a very good job on but obviously from the kind of music it is it was pretty much all done by those two guys in the band. As far as their live show goes of course it sucks compared to the record because they try doing the songs live with real guitars when their record is a quantized midi production, it would be like depeche mode trying to perform their songs live with a guitar based band. I think they're reasonably good live their songs are good enough to come through but their live show is nothing close to resembling the instrumentation on the record. The record is dance midi, translating that to a guitar band is never going to please people expecting the record. Read the record it tells you all instruments played by those two guys and it's brilliant composing so obviously the producer Dave guy had very little to do with what made that record so special, those two kids are obviously very talented.

dave engineer's, edits, produces and mixes most of the records he works on.

he kinda has a sick work flow figured out by now.

he is tone master .. reference his back catalog

FYI: The patchbay at tarbox (dave's studio) is bigger than your rack

lol

seriously it is...

Last edited by Mundy; 3rd June 2009 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: fridmann is a genius
Old 3rd June 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
I'm sure the original analogue equipment wasn't designed to be driven as hard as it was by the dawn of rock and roll.

Its the same difference.

Not sure I dig the uber brick wall effect but it seems clear they were going for that sound. What I have a problem with is when it is added by default.
has anyone ever looked at a picture of fridmann's racks?

he drives analog gear not plugins ( well maybe some)

the dude has 2 giant walls of gnarly analog equipment

Here is his outboard gear list copied from his website

AKG BX-20 Spring Reverb w/remote
Alesis MidiVerb II
Alesis 3630 stereo compressor/gate
2 Altec 1561 Mic-Pre/Compressors
2 Altec 1612 Mic-Pre/Limiters
2 Ampex 3200 Custom Dual Pentode Mic Preamp
Aphex Model 250
2 ART Pro VLA Stereo Compressor
2 ART Dual Levelar Stereo Compressors
ART 8 channel ProGate
2 Ashly Stereo 1/3 octave graphic EQ
Boss SE-70 Multi Effects Processor
Boss SE-50 Multi Effects Processor
CBS Laboratories Audimax III Compressor
CBS Laboratories 4440 Audimax Compressor Stereo
CBS Laboratories 4440 Audimax Compressor Mono
CBS Laboratories Volumax
2 Collins 26U-1 Tube Compressor/Limiters
1 dbx 165 Compressor
3 dbx 160A Compressor/Limiters
1 dbx 166 Compressor/Limiter/Gate
dbx 172 Stereo Gate
dbx 118 Decilinear Compressor/Expander
dbx 119 Decilinear Compressor/Expander
3 Digitech 3.6 Digital Delays
Digitech 1.9 Digital Delay
Digitech RDS 8000 Time Machine
Digitech 1PS33B Harmony Effects Processor
2 Digitech TRS-24 Multi Effects Processors
Dolby FM Broadcast 334
2 Dorrough 610 Discriminate Audio Processor
Drawmer Quad Gate
2 Empirical Labs Distressors
EMT 240 Stereo Plate Reverb
EMT 140 Plate Reverb
Ensoniq DP-4 Multi Effects Processor
2 Eventide H-30000 D/SX Multi Effects Processor
Fairchild 602 Hi Frequency Compressor
Fairchild 664 Passive EQ
Furman RV-1 Spring Reverb
Gates SA-39 Compressor
Gates SolidStatesman AGC
2 Harris MSP-90 Stereo dual-band FM Limiter
2 Inovonics 215 Compressors w/Stereo Link
2 Inovonics 220 Compressor
Korg Kaoss Pad
Korg Kaoss Pad 2
Korg Kaoss Pad 3
Korg MiniKP
Korg Kaossilator
Korg SDD-3300 Triple Digital Delay
Lafayette Instruments Delayed Feedback Recorder
Lexicon MPX-1 Multi Effects Processor
Lexicon LXP-1 Multi Effects Processor
2 Lexicon PCM-41 Digital Delay
Lexicon Vortex Morphing Effects
MagnaRecorder Mic Pre w/ Built in speaker
Peavey Valverb Reverb Unit
Roland RE-301 Tape delay
Roland SVC-350 Vocoder
2 Shure Level Loc Compressor/Limiter
Smart Research C2 Compressor
SPL 9739 Tube Vitalizer MK2-T
SPL 9629 De-Esser
SPL 9842 Transient Designer 4
2 Symmetrix 606 Dual Digital Delays
tc electronic tc 2290 Dynamic Digital Delay
tc electronic D-2 Multitap Rhythm Delay
2 TLA C-1 Stereo Mic Pre/Tube Compressors
2 UREI 1176 Compressors
Urei LA-4 Compressor
Ursa Major SST-282 Reverb/Delay
Yamaha SPX-900 Multi Effects Processor
Yamaha SPX-90 II Multi Effects Processor
Yamaha E1010 Analog Delay

Other Signal Processing:

dbx 120XP subharmonic synthesizer
Maestro USS-1 Multi-effects processor
Yamaha REX-50
Oohlala Synth Mangler
Flower Electronics Little Boy Blue
Tech 21 SansAmp Classic
Korg Guitar Synthesizer
BBE 442 Processor
Toyamura KP-12 Speech Processor
Hewlett-Packard 8055 Filter Set
Wavetek Brickwall Filter
Teac EQA-10 EQ/Analyzer
Carver H-9AV Processor
BK Precision Oscilloscope
Korg AT-2 Tuner
Turntable
Old 29th June 2009
Here for the gear

Totally agree. They blow live. I think a lot of the success is due to Dave Fridman, but whatever, there is some decent songwriting. Pretty good analysis of "Time to Pretend" on this site:

Forensics Of A Song: MGMT "Time To Pretend" - Musformation
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

someone asked me to take a cue from some of the recent MGMT stuff. Am i the only one that thinks it sounds stuffy, way overcompressed, and lofi in a bad way?? Sounds like everything has distortion on it.
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundy View Post

Yep I realise that. What I meant was that even though analogue equipment wasn't designed for the levels early rock 'n roll was giving it the overdrive and distortion of the equipment breaking up or saturating was instrumental to the appeal of the records. I would hate to hear a Little Richard record recorded pristinely through boring signal chains.

If the Brick Wall limiting and distortion was intentional for artistic effect then great - it really worked on "electric feel" in my opinion. When it is the default for all types of records, I think that is wrong.

Cheers,
Iwan

BTW MGMT have announced Sonic Boom of Spacemen 3 will produce their next album.
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundy View Post

I don't really care at what stage everything was wrecked. All I know is when there is BAAD distortion going on (digital) my ears start to do funny things, which is a prequil to hurting, and when i put on this album, cuts like the below in particular, its like little devils are razor blading my eardrums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVnRzEjpUmE

Russell
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

I mean, i don't care who ruined it at what stage, but some of the songs are kind of cool but i can't listen to them. Thats a fault in my book.

Russell
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshorephatty View Post
I mean, i don't care who ruined it at what stage, but some of the songs are kind of cool but i can't listen to them. Thats a fault in my book.

Russell
my thoughts exactly. I wanted to listen soooo badly, but my ears were straining to find the core of the sound in all the fuzz.
Old 20th August 2009
Lives for gear

Why don't you guys listen to a higher quality version

MGMT - Time to Pretend - Free MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music

Still harsh???
Old 20th August 2009
Old 20th August 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
MGMT as a band and live in my opinion are atrocious.

The problem I have with them is they're like kids, who prance about on stage wearing bandanas and "psychedelic" clothes.. Acting like they're part of a musical revolution which frankly, had its day a long time ago, and was done right.

I've never been one for revival tripe.. But these guys aren't established enough yet to behave the way they do in my opinion..
It's like a big fake gimmick to me.

If you really think this, go see them in person. There's a difference between not liking a certain style of music and condemning it for reasons based off of youtube. The GS crowd is just so absolutely right about everything that this will get shot down. Music is now, was in the 60's and will remain a conduit for people to feel good, have a good time, and enjoy themselves. I'm sorry if you don't like the band, and they do have mishaps happen onstage, they're 22 years old and started it in their dorm room. Great album, great band
Old 21st August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omfg_robots View Post
If you really think this, go see them in person. There's a difference between not liking a certain style of music and condemning it for reasons based off of youtube. The GS crowd is just so absolutely right about everything that this will get shot down. Music is now, was in the 60's and will remain a conduit for people to feel good, have a good time, and enjoy themselves. I'm sorry if you don't like the band, and they do have mishaps happen onstage, they're 22 years old and started it in their dorm room. Great album, great band
Exactly. Their music has pushed the bounds of recording and it sounds absolutely amazing and this is not even my genre of music
Old 23rd August 2009
( )
Here for the gear

JJ, guys, what do you think about this:

Whilst at tape op on a panel a few years back, Dave talked about the Sleater-Kinney record and how they specifically had intended to make something that sounded super blown out and ****ty, like the speakers were torn on your stereo. He was going on about how much it was hated in the audio world but how he was proud of it. They played a sample of it on the panel and everyone was silent. The general consensus was that, wow, that sounded really ****ty. But Dave just sort of smirked and was insinuating that the band was really into it.

Anyway, that's not the point.

At some point he mentioned that he would "use anything that anyone brought in, a 4 track cassette demo, whatever" as the basis, or bed track of a song if the ideas were there. He talked about dumping a 4 track demo straight onto the multi-track and overdubbing from there, even though the initial source was ****ty.

The point being that the ideas were more important than the fidelity.

Now I guess what I'm getting at is simple, and has already been considered on this thread:

The fellows in MGMT brought in some blown out, Reason bass/drum tracks or demos as their starting point and the artistic decision was made to dump them in and overdub on top of that from there. Perhaps they had already clipped those bed tracks so severely that they were imparting that sound on the whole album to begin with. It's likely.

It also seems at some point that those tracks would have been erased and that they would have grafted on cleaner bed tracks but who knows. Maybe not.

With all of the great sounding records that Dave has done in the analog world (pinkerton, flaming lips, mercury rev all sound great), it's hard to imagine that someone who teaches audio engineering at SUNY and has made 100s of awesome records would not understand such simple things about digital audio recording.

That would be suggesting that he is a grand hack / fraud / quack.

Do you think (and i'm asking this as an actual, innocent question) that this could really be the case? If so, that's pretty uh... wow.
Old 23rd August 2009
Gear Addict

MGMT Discuss Working With Dave Fridmann | rockdirt.com

I think this video interview with MGMT explains a lot.

Here's a summary -- the relevant stuff is in the first minute.

Fridmann entered late in the process. Andrew and Ben wanted to produce the album themselves -- they did a bunch of demos, arrangements, etc... using $30 mics and an MBOX. They wanted someone to take what they had and make it sound clear and nice and do it quickly and not try to change the sound.

So there you go -- that was what happened. Fridmann cleaned up a lot of the material as best as he could. Reason stuff, of course, is all sequenced MIDI so that could have been kept or recut on actual analog synths. Perhaps certain things were re-tracked.
Old 23rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Probably my favorite album from 2008 (maybe after Santogold). It's got a wonderful lo-fi thing going on, good songs
Old 23rd August 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Probably my favorite album from 2008 (maybe after Santogold)
Ha Santogold (now Santigold) is another Wesleyan University alum. Ben and Andrew of MGMT, as well as yours truly, also Wesleyan grads
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

I really like this album, too. But I agree that it is fatiguing.

I like the songs and the sounds, and the lyrics, but it is way too loud and lacks dynamics.
Old 12th September 2009
Here for the gear

Distortio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post

Besides, the sound that those of us are dislking is certainly digital in nature. It's digital distortion, actually. If you can't hear the difference between analog distortion and digital clipping / digital distortion, then I don't know what to tell you.
There might be some digital distortion, but I know dave does 95% otb (and has a ton of sweet gear to back it up). A lot of the distortion that you hear is tape and tube. He brought in Kids (on tape) for a masterclass @ Fredonia and wasn't shy about letting us hear the tracks. They crunch.
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Addict

Saw them play live last week. Sooooooooo disappointing. Kid doesn't seem to know what's happening to him and why are the 40 000 people there for.

Their playing was boring as **** and FOH guy killed everybody with 4KHz up the wazoo (in an already much too loud mix).

No players, no mixer, no show.
I like the songs and the record though, even with the nasty sound.
Old 12th September 2009
Gear Addict

oops **** , now it's automatical. Kinda scary
Old 13th September 2009
Gear Maniac

That's a shame. Saw them headline this summer Prospect Park in Brooklyn and sounded GREAT, played great. It's def not an arena show, i think it plays more to the drug crowd. But it's musical, so i love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb RIOU View Post
Saw them play live last week. Sooooooooo disappointing. Kid doesn't seem to know what's happening to him and why are the 40 000 people there for.

Their playing was boring as **** and FOH guy killed everybody with 4KHz up the wazoo (in an already much too loud mix).

No players, no mixer, no show.
I like the songs and the record though, even with the nasty sound.
Old 10th November 2009
Gear Nut

I think they're cool because they prove that even in the late 00's, when the biz has shifted to live performance, you can still be one of those "better on record" bands. heh Everyone can't be great live.. it's not like they're talented instrumentalists. They're more so writers/personalities, and should probably be left at that.

Awesome marketing force behind them too. Who knows.. at this point they could very well be off the map for good. But at least there were a few catchy, if not a little crunchy, songs.

Oh and one of those songs totally sounds like "Manic Monday"- melody wise
Old 10th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
Why don't you guys listen to a higher quality version

MGMT - Time to Pretend - Free MP3 Stream on IMEEM Music

Still harsh???
got the CD. Also got the unmastered mixes.

it's the mix. Harsh ..... still a great album
Old 29th December 2009
Here for the gear

I'm a very big fan of what MGMT has done to this point. Oracular Spectacular is a great start for a very promising career. However, I don't think it's a perfect album because some of the songs get a bit over-indulgent and just a tad bit "out there" (which is fine and all, but this is supposed to a pop album). Also, it's just about impossible to listen to this album all the way through because it's limited, compressed, and distorted to high heaven. I don't remember hearing an album as bright as this. However, songs like Kids, The Youth, Electric Feel and Time To Pretend make this a great album by default. Besides, in today's music world an album is usually comprised of a hit single surrounded by fillers. The era of the album is almost gone.

After listening to this album many times and seeing the band live, I've come to the conclusion that what makes this band great is their ability to write a catchy melody and make it sound unique. They won't win any awards for singing or playing their instruments. It's clear that with the copious amounts of multi-tracked vocals, delay and reverb that Andrew (the lead singer) is not the best of vocalists. But it works nonetheless. Again, it really comes down to the ability to write a catchy song and turn it into a polished studio track. Of course, having a producer like Dave Fridmann doesn't hurt. But the boys clearly have a great understanding of writing, producing and arranging (just check out their pre-Fridmann work).

All in all, despite all the success they've had to this point, I think their next album will speak a lot for their long term success. I'm very interested in hearing what road they take next.
Old 29th December 2009

I saw them live and they were very cool and very original.
Old 29th December 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I saw them live and they were very cool and very original.
From what I hear they're hit and miss live, but I think it's because their music is hard to translate in a live format.

But yeah, very cool and indeed very original. My post was not meant to bash them, I do rank them as one of my favorite bands of the decade.
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear

I saw them open for Beck here in Minneapolis not so long ago, and they SMOKED the place.

You know, you just can't expect a blanket statement like "they suck live" to always hold true...bands expand and contract from gig to gig. (Jeez, didn't any of you ever follow The Dead? )
Old 29th December 2009
They kind of bore me overall. But I respect their approach. Their album sounds good. Their live sound isn't bad, but I don't think they have much stage presence.

All of this talk of "it sounds ITB..." is completely ******** though. Whichever moron said that,...so sad. What would it matter anyway?
Old 29th December 2009
Lives for gear
I saw them once 3 years ago right before this album hit open up for of montreal. they were not that good..caught the last 5 songs. i looked at the you tube stuff and it was much the same but when i saw them they were doing more intrumental and no one really heard of them at that point. i caught some of there act this summer when i worked for trent reznor at bonnaroo. i walked over there after nin was done rapping up backstage and it was extremely crowded and way overhyped. bruce sprienstien was even hanging around because of all the hype to check it out that night. but bottom line is they made a great album that got a lot of mainstream attention but as a live band they fall very short no matter what faux hipsters say or how much scene girls drool over them.

it's going to be very interesting how they will do on the next cd with so much riding on the line and getting so much attention over night. i bet that's a ton of pressure to live up to.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search