The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who recorded MGMT album??? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
Seen them three times live now, same set every time.. including the ridiculous karaoke sh*t at the end.

I just think they're a bit rubbish live.

Just an opinion like.
Many thanks....

-Dan
Old 20th September 2008
Gear Nut

KCRW | 89.9FM - Media Player

sorry to bump an oldie, but just checked this... anyone who doesnt think they are good live should check that vid.

damn those morning becomes eclectic engineers are goot!
Old 29th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker3 View Post
KCRW | 89.9FM - Media Player

sorry to bump an oldie, but just checked this... anyone who doesnt think they are good live should check that vid.

damn those morning becomes eclectic engineers are goot!
Looks good....many thanks

-Dan
Old 29th September 2008
Gear Addict

show a man how to fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post

Generally the way you get the low end right like that is you don't over-crank the sub bass and you sit the kick up above the bass guitar.
hello,

a helpful post. show a man how fish and you've fed him for a lifetime.

userofgear
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

Why is this thread in High End?

Why can't people just do a quick google search themselves?
Old 14th April 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdan138 View Post
Was that just me or did it sound like they had backup vocals playing low and they were singing with them....I will be sure to check them out if they come here locally....thanks for the tip. Those engineers are great at Abbey Road.....Anyone know if Dave is a member here?

-Dan
nah dave isn't a member there. he teaches a recording class that i'm taking at SUNY Fredonia.... great/crazy guy!
Old 14th April 2009
Gear Addict

hey,

Just wanted to step up and say a couple things about MGMT ("the Management").

I have known these guys forever -- both Ben and Andrew played bass in my band ("the Contingency Plan"). I have worked with MGMT (recording + post-production) WAY back in the day...

I am not David Fridmann.

I wanted to make a point and distinction.

Andrew and Ben actually write songs and write a ton of the actual parts, much in Reason.

* "Kids," for instance, even on "Oracular" is about 95% Andrew and Ben.

* "Time to Pretend" is also pretty damn close between the Fridmann-produced "Oracular" version and the "Time to Pretend" Cantora Records 2005 release. Vocals are much stronger and more convincing, some parts are pulled out or lowered -- good decisions by Fridmann.

David Fridmann, to his credit, is a smart producer -- he knew that the songs were gold and he did very little to them.

My point here is that MGMT is not "all Fridmann" as some here are suggesting.

Ben and Andrew are an extremely talented duo of composers -- yes, Fridmann brings out the best in them and, I think has influenced them in a more psychedelic direction.

Don't forget there is a difference between being able to execute something live and the actual song-writing, part-writing, real crafting of the songs.
Old 15th April 2009
Lives for gear

production is great. band is terrible. so it goes with most bands these days(well the ones that make it to the mainstream)

For a better version of what they are trying to accomplish, check out the band "of montreal"
Old 15th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
production is great. band is terrible. so it goes with most bands these days(well the ones that make it to the mainstream)

For a better version of what they are trying to accomplish, check out the band "of montreal"
of montreal are complete ****e "i was watching your eyes" ayfkm? "lets do everything again for the first time" lets learn how to sing for the first time.awful.."id engager" lol...these guys are all over the map and not in a good way.
Old 15th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmatt View Post
nah dave isn't a member there. he teaches a recording class that i'm taking at SUNY Fredonia.... great/crazy guy!
I was asking if Dave is a member here at Gearslutz.

- Dan
Old 15th April 2009
Gear Maniac

The quality of the production does in no way sound like Reason alone....its too good for that...and seems to have a lot of gear making most of the drums sound that way that they do. Maybe you are getting at more of the arranging and such that mgmt actually did...Im sure it was Dave who engineered it so well....maybe Im wrong....any input anyone?.....Dave???

-Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepwise Sound View Post
hey,

Just wanted to step up and say a couple things about MGMT ("the Management").

I have known these guys forever -- both Ben and Andrew played bass in my band ("the Contingency Plan"). I have worked with MGMT (recording + post-production) WAY back in the day...

I am not David Fridmann.

I wanted to make a point and distinction.

Andrew and Ben actually write songs and write a ton of the actual parts, much in Reason.

* "Kids," for instance, even on "Oracular" is about 95% Andrew and Ben.

* "Time to Pretend" is also pretty damn close between the Fridmann-produced "Oracular" version and the "Time to Pretend" Cantora Records 2005 release. Vocals are much stronger and more convincing, some parts are pulled out or lowered -- good decisions by Fridmann.

David Fridmann, to his credit, is a smart producer -- he knew that the songs were gold and he did very little to them.

My point here is that MGMT is not "all Fridmann" as some here are suggesting.

Ben and Andrew are an extremely talented duo of composers -- yes, Fridmann brings out the best in them and, I think has influenced them in a more psychedelic direction.

Don't forget there is a difference between being able to execute something live and the actual song-writing, part-writing, real crafting of the songs.
Old 15th April 2009
Gear Maniac

My two cents the recording quality sounds like crap it was obviously done ITB with cheap equipment. The record is mostly midi production and the guy doing the midi stuff is one hell of a composer it's genius stuff, the songs are great at least the hits are. As far as the producer it would be my guess that his contributions were mainly in mixing the record which he did a very good job on but obviously from the kind of music it is it was pretty much all done by those two guys in the band. As far as their live show goes of course it sucks compared to the record because they try doing the songs live with real guitars when their record is a quantized midi production, it would be like depeche mode trying to perform their songs live with a guitar based band. I think they're reasonably good live their songs are good enough to come through but their live show is nothing close to resembling the instrumentation on the record. The record is dance midi, translating that to a guitar band is never going to please people expecting the record. Read the record it tells you all instruments played by those two guys and it's brilliant composing so obviously the producer Dave guy had very little to do with what made that record so special, those two kids are obviously very talented.
Old 15th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokemusician3 View Post
it would be like depeche mode trying to perform their songs live with a guitar based band.
What, like Johnny Cash's amazing cover version of Personal Jesus? That didn't work, did it.

The MGMT album is great. Good songs and good production. Flaming Lips and Mercury Rev albums recorded up there are also good. But great production is nothing without good songs, and all three have them in abundance.

As for Of Montreal - listen to Hissing Fauna album... it's amazing!
Old 15th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokemusician3 View Post
My two cents the recording quality sounds like crap it was obviously done ITB with cheap equipment. The record is mostly midi production and the guy doing the midi stuff is one hell of a composer it's genius stuff, the songs are great at least the hits are.
I completely agree, I think it sounds flat, also compared to Mercury Rev and the Flaming Lips.
But some of the songs are very original and catchy at the same time.
And this is all that matters. -b
Old 15th April 2009
Lives for gear

MGMT - I love them!
Old 15th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgreatriver View Post
MGMT - I love them!
Same here - some great songs on that record - my opinion is that voice was a bit weedy so needed some treatment/distortion but it totally works.

On another note and concerning weedy voices, i was listening to black sab's planet caravan the other day and it's a nice vibey piece but I feel they had to put a phaser quality on Ozzy's voice as it was horribley out of tune for most of it but again it really works after the treatment.
Old 15th April 2009
so it sounds grainy, whatever... kids are eating this up. yeah its a rehash of other ideas, but Yeah Yeah Yeahs are a rehash of patti smith.

is it mixed in the box? probably?

high horse... off.
Old 15th April 2009
Lives for gear

it sounds great! distorted and squashed at mastering but it sizzles on my car stereo....feels like a razor to my eardrums when listening on an ipod on a plane at volume though.....and i think this sounds GOOD??? ..... i absolutely LOVE IT!! haha
Old 15th April 2009
Lives for gear

Love this record. I love the songs and the production. I can't stand the sound of the record though. There is so much digital distortion. My ears get fatigued after a long listening period with this record. It sounds like somebody doesn't understand the headroom limitations in their DAW, or something. Really a shame, because everything else about this record is so amazing. Much more difficult for me to listen to than a lo-fi analog record, like Elliot Smith or something.

I have heard that this may be a result of Dave Fridman's philosophy that plug-ins sound better when you run them really hot. If this is true, I hope the next MGMT record is made using a better engineer. The creativity these guys have deserves much better fidelity.
Old 15th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rectifier View Post
Same here - some great songs on that record - my opinion is that voice was a bit weedy so needed some treatment/distortion but it totally works.
There's a difference between regular distortion and the digital distortion that is a result of clipping. Regular distortion can be musical. Digital distortion is just terrible sounding.

Like I said, I don't know at which part of the process this happened on this recording. I don't think it was mastering, from some conversations I've had with people who know about this process on this record. It was either printing tracks too hot, running plugins too hot, running the mix bus too hot, or all of the above.

It kind of pisses me off, honestly. It's so avoidable. I get some engineers who do weird things and get weird sounds. This just sounds bad and unprofessional, when I hear it on a track.
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

the distortion MUST have been on purpose......surely! i think it was a creative decision.....certainly something most of us avoid BUT who's to say what's right or wrong.....it does hurt your ears though and sets you on edge but music is supposed to do things to you physically and spiritually.....physically this record makes you move away from the speakers or turn it down....and spiritually: it sets you on edge.....but i do love it.....it sounds exciting and so different in the current climate...
Old 16th April 2009
Lives for gear

I agree with JJ... Just another cool record that I can't enjoy. I've got enough headaches as it is!!! I like to turn my music up, not down!!!!!!! (Though I'd guess the issue was related to Mastering)

I thought they sounded pretty great live though, based on the previously linked radio broadcast.
Old 17th April 2009
Lives for gear

This is from a thread I had in PSW a while back, when trying to figure out the culprit, and I asked it it my might greg Calbi, the ME. Here was a response. I think this clearly points to Fridman as the culprit here:

"I know Greg, he doesn't blow things up on purpose... they'd have to come in that way. Or he'd have to be asked to.

I was on a mastering panel with him once. Prior to taking the stage he was talking how Dave Fridman had just finished the new Sleater Kinney album and how Dave blew it up maxed everything out (mastered it really but not in a good way), there was distortion over everything and there was nothing Greg could really do. A little cut at 5K and 10K to try and relieve some of the harshness. Well sure enough don't you know he got asked over and over why he blew that album up!"
Old 18th April 2009
Gear Addict

This is why I don't put compression on the 2-bus if I'm getting something mastered !!

Let the good people at Sterling do their jobs.
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepwise Sound View Post
This is why I don't put compression on the 2-bus if I'm getting something mastered !!

Let the good people at Sterling do their jobs.
Compression is much different than brickwall limiting via L2/L3, etc.....
Old 18th April 2009
Lives for gear

I guess the unfortunate thing about mastering a record like that is that people might you the ME is responsible for that, and they are reticent to hire you as a result. I've had a ME ruin and distort a record I produced and engineered, and it made me look bad. It works both ways sometimes.
Old 18th April 2009
Gear Nut

Fun record.

Kinda prefer Health to these fellas.
Old 7th May 2009
Gear Addict

Reason?!

In late on this thread. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular.

I do really like the MGMT Album, the 'songs' are good - but i'm in two minds about the overall Sound / Production Choices.

it really is a very distorted sound. - like 80% of the parts are running through some kind of distortion. I had assumed that that sound was due to Dave Fridmann's involvement (as it reminds me of the rough distorted sound on a lot of Flaming Lips Albums.)

You have to admit the Tonal sound/content of the Album is similar to that Dirty Rough sound of the Flaming Lips.

I had thought it was due to Analogue Distortion / Runnig a console too hot or something - So i'm quite surprised to hear it is mostly Reason, particularly some of the drums to me sounded played... - you just can't program that. can you?!

Oh and really - saying the 'band' is **** lvie - come on! its two guys who are a Studio project. - how the hell are they supposed to pull all that off live without loads of session musicians.

Even Bowie kinda sucks live when he plays his old 70s stuff (and turns it into horrid Rock Stadium Anthems!)
Old 7th May 2009
Gear Addict

Q&A with Dave Fridmann?

woudl be great to get a Q&A with Dave Fridmann - who does that work?

Also if anyone has read interviews with him, please let me know.
Old 7th May 2009
Gear Addict

Dave Fridmann Interviews

TapeOp Article on Dave Fridmann

http://www.breathingprotection.com/tapeop_fridmann.pdf

and some other info and potential interviews here:
Sound Engineer Stu: Dave Fridmann - Music Producer

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search