The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adam P33A
Old 26th April 2005
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
kwilliams's Avatar
 

Adam P33A

I’ve read quite a few posts about the Adam P33A monitors and so far so good. I’ve had a test pair in my studio for the past couple of weeks and I’m really liking them. I’m considering upgrading from my old pair of Mackie HR824 to the Adams and I have nothing but good things to say about the P33. One of the posts stated he found the P33’s louder than the Mackies……wow….definitely not. I find these to be great mix speakers but when it comes to making music at loud volumes (within reason) they really can’t hold up. My Mackies can really take a beating!! I guess its not what they’re really intended to do but I’m surprised how conservative I have to be with them…I feel like I’m on a pair of NS10. Again don’t get me wrong, they’re great speakers…I’m just a little disappointed from a power standpoint. I thought having a second driver to handle low frequencies would give them extra room to be pushed a little but they drop out pretty quickly. Has anyone had the same experience?
Old 29th April 2005
  #2
hbj
Here for the gear
 

Yeah, I have the S3As and they really can't get that loud and still hold up imho.

However after working with these I can't listen to other speakers and have any clue what's going on through them. I've gotten very spoiled.

I just can't blow clients' heads off with volume and still have it sound the same like you can with some other speakers. With some clients that can be a problem.
Old 29th April 2005
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Ruphus's Avatar
 

Phew, you guys must be meaning some levels!

My volume knob usually sits around 8:00 and when I turn to around 9:00 occassionally I could use them almost as hair driers.
I think the highest I had the P33s turned up so far has been around 10:00 ( and I know the neighbours in this damn building didn´t really appreciate it.)

All this while I have lowered them a couple dB on their internal amps.

What I was going to say is without even having tried to approach their upper scale, in my experience these dangs have some huge reserves.

Are yours defect or are you conducting them open air beside an airport? Or better to say: How loud do you need your nearfields to be?

Ruphus
Old 29th April 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
scott petito's Avatar
 

I can get my ears ringing just fine with my 33's

cheers
Sp
Old 29th April 2005
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

The P33s are not designed to be PA speakers .
Keeps listening loud and the louder you'll have to turn em up every year.
Old 29th April 2005
  #6
hbj
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
Phew, you guys must be meaning some levels!

My volume knob usually sits around 8:00 and when I turn to around 9:00 occassionally I could use them almost as hair driers.
I think the highest I had the P33s turned up so far has been around 10:00 ( and I know the neighbours in this damn building didn´t really appreciate it.)

All this while I have lowered them a couple dB on their internal amps.

What I was going to say is without even having tried to approach their upper scale, in my experience these dangs have some huge reserves.

Are yours defect or are you conducting them open air beside an airport? Or better to say: How loud do you need your nearfields to be?

Ruphus
Oh yeah, that must be it. I must live next to an airport and forgot I leave the windows open all the time. Was meinst du, ich bin geisteskrank?

Yes they'll play loud, but surprise, so will almost speaker with 450 watts coarsing through it. But obviously (or I guess not so obviously in your case) that's not the point. They just don't sound nearly as good very loud as they do at normal levels. A typical hip-hop client will be disappointed when it comes time to crank the mix.

Contrast that with the Genelec 1037Cs which I have to use three times a week which sound great cranked loud (though not remotely accurate).
Old 30th April 2005
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
kwilliams's Avatar
 

Quote:
Art Johan
The P33s are not designed to be PA speakers .
Keeps listening loud and the louder you'll have to turn em up every year.

Today 05:48 PM
o.k......you have a valid point. Yet I still feel the overall bass response at higher volumes makes the P33s not so 'hiphop friendly'. Don't get the wrong idea...I'm not a loose canon cranking the [email protected] out of a pair of precision monitors like the Adams not understanding why the woofer has jumped out the cabinet across the room!! It was mearly a comparison to what I was used to with my Mackies after reading a post stating he felt the Adams were louder?!! Having said that...I love 'em....they sound damn good!! I just need to learn to stop blasting the sh!t out my speakers when I mix club joints that need to bang...guess I'll re-adjust my methods or wait 'till I can buy a second pair of large monitors to pump hard!!
Old 30th April 2005
  #8
Gear Addict
 
Jalabodu's Avatar
I already wrote a post on this, but I'll reiterate. The Mackies are just too forgiving. The P33s will make the mixes you did on your Mackies sound like ****. They're much more revealing and will give you the opportunity to improve.

If volume is an issue, you need to be looking at mains instead of near-fields.
Old 30th April 2005
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Ruphus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbj
Was meinst du, ich bin geisteskrank?
Nah, I was just really wondering.
After all, first time I heard them and decided to buy was on AES were they were sovereignly filling that part of the hall.
They were playing no hiphop though.

Ruphus
Old 30th April 2005
  #10
hbj
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams
o.k......you have a valid point. Yet I still feel the overall bass response at higher volumes makes the P33s not so 'hiphop friendly'. Don't get the wrong idea...I'm not a loose canon cranking the [email protected] out of a pair of precision monitors like the Adams not understanding why the woofer has jumped out the cabinet across the room!! It was mearly a comparison to what I was used to with my Mackies after reading a post stating he felt the Adams were louder?!! Having said that...I love 'em....they sound damn good!! I just need to learn to stop blasting the sh!t out my speakers when I mix club joints that need to bang...guess I'll re-adjust my methods or wait 'till I can buy a second pair of large monitors to pump hard!!
Interesting, and makes a couple other things come to mind. First is that I have the S3As and not the P33As and I've -heard- that the P33s have a thicker and warmer bass response, which leads me to think they may play loud better. Another thing is that it's very hard for me to judge how much the room is sort of smearing things together at high volumes; my room is good, but fairly reflective. The last thing is that I know a number of people have considered a subwoofer with the S3As. I know I did, but then once I got good positioning off the wall they didn't seem to need it. The bass on the S3A is insanely tight, but the downside of that is you don't get a lot of that "kick my butt" bass some people love to hear. In fact some people need to hear that, and that's why I think some folks add a sub.
Old 30th April 2005
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
kwilliams's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalabodu
I already wrote a post on this, but I'll reiterate. The Mackies are just too forgiving. The P33s will make the mixes you did on your Mackies sound like ****. They're much more revealing and will give you the opportunity to improve.

If volume is an issue, you need to be looking at mains instead of near-fields.
I agree....I wasn't comparing the two from an accuracy standpoint, but volume...Whenever I play material with a lot of bottom they choke pretty quick. And I'm not even talking about my material but commercial hiphop records. Unfortunately I don’t have a spl meter to actually give an exact level at which I’m playing but as soon as I do I’ll post it…..This is a demo set….maybe something’s wrong with them!!??
Old 30th August 2016
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Hi,

I am looking for horizontal speakers to replace my ADAM A8X being to big on my new desk. I was very happy to work with ADAM 77X in the past (friends studio) but have now the opportunity to buy a pair of ADAM P33-A. Do you know how how they differentiate from each other?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Best
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
hawaii82 / So Much Gear, So Little Time
0
Jochen / So Much Gear, So Little Time
0
Poopants / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
Infernal_Death / So Much Gear, So Little Time
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump