The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
D.W.Fearn Ribbon Microphones
Old 8th March 2003
Gear Nut

D.W.Fearn

I see the D.W.Fearn preamps in a lot of studio pictures, but
they aren`t much talked about, how do they sound?
I`ve read some VERY good rewievs on them.
And they look soo cool!!!

Amund
Old 8th March 2003
I've heard amazing things about the pres, though iIobviously have no experience with them...

I heard the proto-type stereo EQ at AES two years ago and it was the most amazing EQ I think I've ever heard. I will have one when they are released...
Old 8th March 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

hey Brad, you have all kinds of amazing gear. Can we see a shot of your control room?
Old 8th March 2003
Re: D.W.Fearn

Quote:
Originally posted by plexi
I see the D.W.Fearn preamps in a lot of studio pictures, but
they aren`t much talked about, how do they sound?
I`ve read some VERY good rewievs on them.
And they look soo cool!!!

Amund
I had a VT1 for a while.

As anything great on somethings and not great on others.

Very colored(sometimes to a fault).heh

The EQ has been out for a while though(unles Doug is making a mastering version).

If you like the characteristic of tubes, than you will love it. Its one of the few preamps when tracked, compression was not needed.

Its sound is more colored than a Manley if you've ever used a Manley pre.
Old 8th March 2003
Gear Guru

I fisrt became aware of the Fearn when it jumped out at me as I listend to some preamp comparison CDs. So I rented one and tried it out on some Vox and knew I HAD to have it. It has a Sound that I have always heard on records and coveted, but had always eluded me in my own studio. So even though it was 2X the $ of other high end preamps I was looking at, I bought it without hesitation.

I just love this box! I guess I am tube guy. Vocals recorded through it are "Done" - they seem to hardly need any EQ or compression. You can run it clean or you can run it hot and get different stuff out of it but all of it is special or magic or whatever you want to call it.

It's my Secret Weapon preamp. Whenever I see those online discussions of "what is the best preamp for...?" I am torn. I love this preamp. I want Doug Fearn to get his due, but I also want to keep my Secret for myself (INSERT SFX: maniaical laughter BWAH HA HA HA! '' )

Today you caught me in a 'sharing' mood. but shhhh 'tutt' don't tell anyone else.
Old 9th March 2003
Gear Nut

i use my VT2 on overheads with a Royer SF12 with great results... I like it for vocals and guitars also. I think the sound is very deailed, warm, but no too colored (as opposed to a Vipre for what it does well)... I think the Fern is more hifi sounding...
Old 9th March 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
hey Brad, you have all kinds of amazing gear. Can we see a shot of your control room?
Soon - building a new room right now...

I don't have that much gear - I just only buy the good stuff!
Old 3rd August 2006
The Vt-2 is my favorite preamp.
Doug is a really nice guy.

as all equipment has a sound I don't think its heavily colored at all.

If you use more gain it can be colored in compression, with less its has more headroom and is less colored or so open with transients and detail .

However its basic musicality or sound is the smoothest across the frequency spectrum i've heard, and its detail and richness is 3-d, it is very aware of room acoustics i agree its a magnifying glass to some degree.

no pre-amp i've used is as good when properly paired with its source.
It is astounding and just amazing.

I use it with brauner and geffel , as well as sm-57,

stike
Old 3rd August 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasandi

If you use more gain it can be colored in compression, with less its has more headroom and is less colored or so open with transients and detail .

However its basic musicality or sound is the smoothest across the frequency spectrum i've heard, and its detail and richness is 3-d, it is very aware of room acoustics i agree its a magnifying glass to some degree.

stike
Fully agree with that, my best investment ever is definitely the VT-2, it really made all my condensers shine as never before !...

I also use it on vocals sometimes with my R-84 and there comes the thrill !!! - but you have to be aware that the VT-2 unfortunately doesn't have a high enough gain to please most ribbons (its only bad side if there is one IMO) so some hiss shall be expected when used with those... - but the beast is sooo sexy that sometimes I'll go with the hiss anyway !!!...

If you wanna hear how your microphones sound like, get the Fearn !!!...

Good luck !

Olivier.
Old 3rd August 2006
Trp
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
If you wanna hear how your microphones sound like, get the Fearn !!!...

Good luck !
I disagree! It is not a neutral pre at all, it definately adds something to the sound. Sometimes that´s wonderful, sometimes not.
Old 3rd August 2006
thumbsup

every pre adds something or imparts its sound .
neutral is a myth .
and certainly what we hear with our ears
is phenomenalogically different from what comes thru an audio chain.

and always pairing source to pre is an important and personal evaluation .

I do think that the D.W Fearn pre is lush but it does not obscure any detail,
i feel it brings the sound thru in a way that is jus as beautiful as its source
and sometimes nicer!

anyway enjoy!
Old 3rd August 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trp
I disagree! It is not a neutral pre at all, it definately adds something to the sound. Sometimes that´s wonderful, sometimes not.
Well, I'm not saying that the VT-2 is neutral, I'm just saying that the VT-2 is the only mic-preamp among the others I own that REALLY makes ALL my microphones sound like I expect them to sound...
Old 3rd November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasandi View Post

stike
That's one heck of a statement. Cool that it's rocking that way for you. I want one. Actually I need one and want two.
Old 3rd November 2015
7+1
Lives for gear

it is absolutely incredible sounding. Extremely larger than life with just the right amount of class and color.

Perfecto!
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trp View Post
I agree. I had one for loan for a while some 10-15 years ago. Clean settings did not differ much to other clean sounding preamps and the more colored settings did not do it for me/us in general. Made voice and guitar sound to much "honey". I can imagine it works for some situations and some people though (bright instruments close up for example, strings, maybe brass).
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasandi View Post
thumbsup

every pre adds something or imparts its sound .
neutral is a myth .
If a piece of gear pass a controlled test without detection it's not a myth.
I think there are preamps that are transparent aka neutral. At least I have done tests where people could not hear a difference with and without preamp in a chain.

Quote:
and certainly what we hear with our ears
is phenomenalogically different from what comes thru an audio chain.
I think that one needs some explaining.. ;-)
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 View Post
it is absolutely incredible sounding. Extremely larger than life with just the right amount of class and color.

Perfecto!
Exactly, I love mine; they are wonder preamps.
Old 3rd November 2015
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Holy smoke!!
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Fearn is my favorite (currently produced) mic pre.

There is a little bit of a learning curve to it, though.

Last edited by Seamus TM; 3rd November 2015 at 05:02 PM..
Old 4th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnm View Post
Do you have any evidence to support your statement that the vt2 is very colored?

Try one.

ps. I don't think that Thrill is on GS, anymore.
12 year old thread.
Old 4th November 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM View Post

Try one.

ps. I don't think that Thrill is on GS, anymore.
12 year old thread.
My bad. I should have said that "very" colored does not reflect my experience and perception with the one I own.
Old 4th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvnm View Post
My bad. I should have said that "very" colored does not reflect my experience and perception with the one I own.
Right on.
Everything is relative.
Old 4th November 2015
The Fearn VT1/2 are clean, clear Sparkly Tube amps that have a distinct color/tonal polish to them that is golden, lush, rich and harmonic. Its very DEEP and Natural. It's saturation characteristics vary with levels. Running signals over 0VU is what colors the signal. Otherwise, the signal just sounds "in the room" with you. Very organic, "through a wire", no harshness, very buttery at the same time. Thick and solid but not overly weighty. Just huge. It has a "soft knee" saturation to the sound when over the threshold of distortion. I love these preamps with the needle "floating" around 0VU. Just sounds finished.
Old 5th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Sick. So Sick.
Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

Fearns pres are awesome. One of my favorite tube pres along with the Tubetech MP1a.
Old 5th November 2015
I love DW Fern gear as well. Compressor is magic for vocals and mastering 2 bus. EQ has a nice organic sound, and the pre's are wonderful. It was so hard to send back the VT-7 after my review of it. Sadly I don't have the funds for it right.
Old 6th November 2015
Lives for gear

Got red?

Incredible mic amp. I have two VT-1. Fantastic---buy some Fearn today.
Old 6th November 2015
Lives for gear

VT1 > VT7 is a signal chain that works every time in my world

Last edited by mbvoxx; 6th November 2015 at 01:51 AM..
Old 6th November 2015
Lives for gear

One of my favourite preamps - not as coloured as some other valve pres, and actually quite modern sounding, but I agree with the 'in the room' thing. Fantastically well built and engineered too.

I really want one, or four...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search