The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonic differences btx Manley Tube Mixer and Slam!
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Sonic differences btx Manley Tube Mixer and Slam!

I know the pre's in the SLAM! are unique, but I was curious to see if anyone has any feedback on the differences in tone between those pre's and the ones in the tube mixer. I might have a chance to pick up an 8 mic pre vers. of the Tube Mixer for an attractive price, which is why I ask. I would like to get a Manley unit sometime this year, and 8 pre's versus 2 sounds pretty good if the other features of the SLAM! can be made up for. Any thoughts?
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

if you want tube pres I wouldn't look at Manley stuff. they are VERY clean for a tube design.
you don't use a tube pre because it's clean do you?
use a real tube pre, Telefunken comes to mind.
or I heard that the GT Vipre works damn well too.
look at Ebay autions for Tele stuff or you could go new at TAB-Funkenwerk.
just a thought.
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks, Mike. Not looking for anything super colored actually. I do want to get a Vipre in to test, for sure. But I also like that muscular but clean vibe Manley seems to have going on. I like clean but not transparent gear. =)

BTW, check my response in your Diezel thread.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

I have the Vipre and the SLAM! (and many others
including the Vox Box) All are different but the pres in the SLAM! are unique and fantastic. They can be transparent or nasty depending on how you set the compressors. The Vipre is great for ribbons, the SLAM! is amazing for vocals. You should also consider the Requisite Audio PAL.
chap
Old 9th March 2003
member no 666

The Requisite is indeed stunning... and the Pendulum Audio MDP-1 ain't no slouch by any stretch of the imagination...

Best of luck with the search.
Old 9th March 2003
Lives for gear

I think I'll have to try to get one of each in on my next session and A/B. I think they both seem like smoking units. Also, I'd like to compare the AD in the SLAM! to that of my Spider (thanks for that piece btw, Fletcher!)
Old 9th March 2003
Lives for gear

Does anyone know a good dealer for Requisite on the East Coast?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear