The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CLA moved out from Resonate studios ? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboymusic View Post
Exactly.

Has anyone else noticed the biggest critics don't have any links to their brilliant masterpieces?
cheers to that
Old 5th September 2008
Gear Maniac

I wish I could do what the brothers can do! Then I could choose to do something else.

Petter
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

One very good quality that many Lord-Alge mixes have is they sound great on the radio. There´s something about the clarity and punch that is just right.

If you drive on a highway, select a typical top40 radio station and turn the radio way down to a level where it´s almost drowned in the car´s background noise. At that point, if a Lord-Alge mix airs, you will actually hear the song instead of just the hi-hat which is the case with many other mixes.

Bob Clearmountain´s mixes tend to have this quality too.

If I was a record label I´d pay for that too.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
If I was a record label I´d pay for that too.
Yes. And the people that are blaming these guys for "killing music" are overlooking the most basic fact: If someone comes up to you and says, "I like the way you did that, I want to pay you to do that same thing again." you will provide what your clientelle is requesting. They are not getting these jobs by chance.

I think the style is exciting and grabs people's attention, though I can't stand to listen to it more than a couple times. It certainly does kill the longevity of a song.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
It certainly does kill the longevity of a song.
which doesn't matter with the most songs provided nowadays
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

The "homogenization" happens long before the mix engineers get their ears on the music.

Using the same compressors on instruments in a mix isn`t gonna make two artists sound the same. Unless they sound the same because that`s what label asked for and the Producers delivered.

Personally , I`m always floored by how much power and energy the Lord-Alges can infuse into stale and cliched releases. Can you imagine some of these cookie-cutter acts WITHOUT the CLA or TLA mixes?? I shudder,...

Thomas
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
No, but you should respect the soldiers who are out there.
No doubt there is plenty of blame to spread around, and lack of vision and origionality on part of the A&R community is huge. But how can anyone RESPECT an engineer who accepts huge amounts of cash and then doesn't get creatively involved with his work?!! He's mixed tracks for me and probably for you and 20% of the rest of us -- he's really startlingly uninvolved with the process.

Regarding the quote above -- that's such a tired twisting of the conversation. NOBODY in the COUNTRY blames the troops!!! How could you??? Blaming our current group of well dressed mobsters and their rich corporate buddies for damaging the US is not unpatriotic -- it's the opposite.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I respect them. But CLA and TLA have been successful for so long, they are more comparable to U2. I cannot stand U2's music, especially Bono's whiney comical over emphasized expression, but I respect the hell out of them.

Well, sounding stale is one thing, but is it the mixer or the music? I don't like most of the bands that those guys mix, but the balance, depth, clarity, punch, etc. is amazing every time. So, is it the music you hate, or the sonic balance?
Yes, I would openly admit it is often hard to emotionally separate the music from the mix. Of course, I CAN... it's just that a song comes on and I feel myself bristle.

No doubt there mixes are punchy, clear, have separation, et al., BUT, so do other great mixes, even for bands I don't like.

For example, I've never been a Micheal Jackson fan, but many of his albums, I've found myself listening to because they teach me so much sonically.

I like(d) Seal and those mixes of his earliest 2 albums are mind blowing.

Bands I do like and ALSO find the mixes amazing: Pink Floyd (most), Massive Attack (again many), etc.

I guess I'm the heratic for not liking their work, but I don't think I'm guilty of not liking it for many of the reasons thrown out in this thread... I'm pretty honest with myself and try my best to openly admit when I'm wrong or on a bandwagon, I just don't think this is it.

-andrews

P.S. And I'm not hiding anything, anyone can go get a Dirty Halo album, eh FWIW (Oh, and I'm MORE than equally critical of that work, there's material and mixes I'm very proud of and others where I the album's mix was shockingly quilty of many of the things I don't like about the CLA mixes... IT (bad mixes) taught me a lot and had me do some LONG soul searching for what and why things turned out the way they did.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboymusic View Post
Exactly.

Has anyone else noticed the biggest critics don't have any links to their brilliant masterpieces?
allmusic ((( Doug McBride > Credits )))
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWho View Post
Personally , I`m always floored by how much power and energy the Lord-Alges can infuse into stale and cliched releases. Can you imagine some of these cookie-cutter acts WITHOUT the CLA or TLA mixes?? I shudder,...
Thomas
heh Well put.
Old 5th September 2008
Lives for gear
Hey Doug,

That Depeche Mode cover compilation was a great sounding album. So many different styles, so many good mixes. Kudos.
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

I've only heard a few mastering engineers comment on a mix by TLA or CLA,
but they all said the mixes were stellar. I'm reasonably sure i read Masterer
(Chris from Sterling) say the same thing around here. If wrong, i apologize.

For mastering engineers who have worked on the mixes to make such
comments is very interesting to me.

Obviously subjective stuff, but still..
Old 10th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 View Post
Doug, i know many people that complain about how quiet the fall out boy album
you mixed is. Any insights into the mastering or reason behind this?

It doesn't sound like the decision was to preserve dynamics although i could be
wrong. Not really a complaint from me, as i know where the volume control
is but still interesting that record is so much quieter for the time.
Old 10th September 2008
Motown legend

If you want to blame somebody, blame the real culprits which are the radio advertisers who control what music can get exposed in the U.S. with an iron fist.

Everybody else is merely a messenger carrying a very ugly message.
Old 10th September 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
If you want to blame somebody, blame the real culprits which are the radio advertisers who control what music can get exposed with an iron fist.

Everybody else is merely a messenger carrying a very ugly message.
THIS is the truth !!

Advertisers....ie...MONEY is what drives EVERYTHING in the music biz.

The cool thing is...you don't HAVE to ride along.....

Rock

315hz
Old 10th September 2008
Motown legend

You don't have to ride along and as people stop listening to the radio, we probably have a chance to take our industry back before the Silicon Valley crowd gobbles it up.
Old 11th September 2008
Just an experience to share — I recently had the opportunity to listen to the raw tracks of a classic rock hit from the '70s — you know the type — 3-part harmony guitars that were heavily processed, in-the-stratosphere vocals, obligatory 12-string etc. Then, I heard the tracks mixed with all the tricks of the trade, plus a few new ones. The funny thing is, at the end of the day, or should I say from A to B, I still heard the same song. It would have been a hit either way. Certainly the B mix had a little more magic to it (perhaps magic only noticed by other magicians), but ultimately, what I took away from the experience is that the final mix begins with the arrangement.

No disrespect to anyone, but I think that blaming the mixer for the homogenized sound of today's music is like blaming the bulldog on the Mack truck for the accident.

Any thoughts on blaming the artists?

If there's a boring sameness to today's music, I think we already have our answer in terms of frightened A&R reps, and suits who only know how to sell what sold before. Bob O. pretty much summed that up: tightly limited advertiser-driven play lists and artists chosen because they have a sound that has already sold.

Maybe the problem goes deeper. Perhaps the musical IQ of the public has diminished to the point where clever music fails to catch their ear?

-B-
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

As to the original post, I hope John Van Nest can continue to thrive with Resonate - it's a cool studio.

As to the Sameness of CLA's work, if you think the mixing for The Kooks, Sum 41 and the John Butler Trio sound alike, you need your ears cleaned.
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Gravity5088 wrote :
<<But how can anyone RESPECT an engineer who accepts huge amounts of cash and then doesn't get creatively involved with his work? >>

I think we have totally different views of the role of an Engineer.
The creativity is suppose to come from the musicians, songwriter and maybe the producer.
The Engineers job is just to capture this creativity.
Unless you think creativity is required to capture creativity ? I hope not.
AJ
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Johan View Post
Gravity5088 wrote :Unless you think creativity is required to capture creativity ? I hope not.
Well, certainly creativity is needed. Not necessarily artistic creativity, but it is still creativity. Any problem solving involves creativity if you are going to be successful at it.

Petter
Old 11th September 2008
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit View Post
As to the original post, I hope John Van Nest can continue to thrive with Resonate - it's a cool studio.

As to the Sameness of CLA's work, if you think the mixing for The Kooks, Sum 41 and the John Butler Trio sound alike, you need your ears cleaned.
I need my ears cleaned because Sum 41, The White afair, Theory of a death man, Switchfoot, Simple Plan, The Used, Rev Theory, Jimmy eat world, The Starting Line, etc, etc... all of them sound like the same album, it is the same Snare on all of them!!

P.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Obviedo View Post
I need my ears cleaned because Sum 41, The White afair, Theory of a death man, Switchfoot, Simple Plan, The Used, Rev Theory, Jimmy eat world, The Starting Line, etc, etc... all of them sound like the same album, it is the same Snare on all of them!!

P.
besides q-tips... maybe something to do with your time...
Old 11th September 2008
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:
besides q-tips... maybe something to do with your time...
Well Mr. "3733 posts", maybe YOU need to find something to do with your time.

Get a job dude!

P.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well Mr. "3733 posts", maybe YOU need to find something to do with your time.

Get a job dude!

P.
ha... that is funny. I am working all the time.
Relax brother it was a joke.
Old 11th September 2008
Quote:

P.
I think you bring up an interesting point. You might be right that much of the same methodology of production and mix was extremely similar from record to record.

But, if you look at music from the 50's and 60's, a lot of that stuff sounded the same. Motown, doo-wop, very very early rock'n roll, and even some of the post Beatles stuff was almost cookie cutter. Did that stuff suck, no, a lot of it was brilliantly produced for their time. I think it's just the way it is. Someone does something cool, and in come the followers. I certainly have been guilty of that myself.

I clearly remember when I was an assistant at a studio, and the head engineer brought in Stevie Windwood's Higher Love single mixed by TLA. I was blown away by the sound of that record. You may not like the brothers, but they have been leading the pack for over twenty five years.

I was listening to a Zep record on the radio. Now much of that stuff was very left of center, but was the mass-appeal of it's time. Where is the new Led Zeppelin? I supose the White Stripes has had a foot on that side of the fence, and got serious spins at radio.
Old 12th September 2008
R3k
Gear Maniac

Indeed, maybee its the music that has been generic for the last 8 years, not so much the mix and master...
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3k View Post
Indeed, maybee its the music that has been generic for the last 8 years, not so much the mix and master...
or all of the above
Old 5th October 2008
Gear Head

seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 View Post
But how can anyone RESPECT an engineer who accepts huge amounts of cash and then doesn't get creatively involved with his work?!! He's mixed tracks for me and probably for you and 20% of the rest of us -- he's really startlingly uninvolved with the process.

Sorry but this is 100 % Not true

TLA USES his Creativy with Time based Effects for his mixes.

Such as Filtered Delays,and the Radio effect Filter on Adlibs
and bringing in the Bridge back into the Other Phrase Filtered.

Its all about FILTERS and you can hear it in the mixes with both of them.
so They have Presets for compressors and **** big ****ing Deal you would 2 if you had to maintain that Sonic Quality people liked from the previous records and such. Listen To Forever the Sickest Kids Mix-She's a Lady Not the EP Version and listen to that bridge if you cant tell me thats not ****ing amazing and CREATIVE then I don't know what is.

as far As CLA I think his kicks are 2 low and has that lack of punch specially when he tries to Sub Genre like the Underoath Record
and he Buss Compresses the **** out of everything.

Consumers Crank up the Volume until everything is Flat anyways and so many people dont hear any of the things we do its sad we basically mix for us

Peace
Old 5th October 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Like the Dave Mathews band, Jeff Beck, Peter Gabriel, American Music Club, Sarah McLachlan, Santana.......?
Yes - including those. Just don't like his 4khz forward sound.... I'm more a Baressi/Moulder kinda guy..... y'know - QOTSA, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and all the way back to Mudhoney and the Stooges.

Don't get me wrong - I don't begrudge them their success - but it's most certainly NOT for me.
Old 6th October 2008
Gear Head

CLA

Dont want to sound like a suck up or anything, but I really dig Doug's mixes much more than the Lord-Alge bros. I dunno, it just sounds more natural, like more honest yet completely on par with Tom and Chris. Not that I have anything against them, they're obviously extremely talented and I like a lot of the music they've mixed. (not quite like Andy Wallace's though!) Gravity is an awsome studio, I was only there one time for a quick little tour but it's truly amazing. Good job, Doug!

P.S. though, why'd you lose your 8058?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search