The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need advice on getting my Pt session onto a cd w/o sounding like pickled ass...
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

Need advice on getting my Pt session onto a cd w/o sounding like pickled ass...

Hi, I am a noob with a new hd 1 set up. In terms of a/d/a and cd burning, all I have is a Digi 192 i/0 and the cdr in my computer. My cd burning software is Cd architect. I took one 88.2 pt session and did the bounce to disk thingamaroo and burned a cd which sounded horrible...I mean scary bad. I'm talking about the audio quality and not my mixing shortcomings
For the serious stuff I do, I will be sending it off to a mastering house, but I would like to be able to burn some nice sounding cd's at home. Would my quality improve a lot by sending sub groups out of the Digi a/d/a to my Mackie, yes Mackie, mixer then to something like a Hedd then into a cdr? I could probably swing getting a Hedd if I sell my Fatso, but if I can get nice sounding cd's with what I already have, then even better.
I will buy some gear if that's what it takes to get results that don't sound like ass. My old Roland VS 1880 sounded better than what came out of my 88.2-44.1 bounce to disk process.
So what do you guys think? Am I just ******** or am I missing some key piece of gear?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 5th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Re: Need advice on getting my Pt session onto a cd w/o sounding like pickled ass...

Are you doing any processing on the master fader? Specifically, something with dither? And which settings are you using to convert from 88.2 to 44.1, assuming that you're converting after bounce within Pro Tools?

What happens if you play the track from within the CD burning software, or from some other software that allows you to play SD2 or wave files (depending on what platform you're using)?

What happens if you bounce to disk without reducing the sample rate, tehn bring that file back into another PT session? Does it sound the same or different?
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

Look at the thread I started below "Importance of monitoring at Sample rate", somewhat along the same lines....I'm going through some of the same problems, but it's not bad, it's just not punchy great.
(However, I must say that I trying the sony dynamics plugin and it's the best plugin I've heard. I'm much more impressed with it than the sony EQ.)

-Yes you can get fair results with what you have
-I probably wouldn't sell the Fatso quite yet.
-You're not dithering in the same session are you?
-bounce first (tweak head) to 44.1 24bit.
-open new 44.1 24 bit session
-use whatever overall EQ to brighten it up a bit if needed,
-use whatever level plug (L2, Maxim, X3,) put dither on it, or my preferred way, don't put dither on it and...
-put on POW-R dither plugin (I've had best of luck with type 3 or type1)
-bounce to 44.1 16bit (I use stereo interleaved .aif)
-I use ITunes, yes the free app with Apple. I don't have to burn with all the PQ codes and stuff. Never heard of your program. Other program options are Waveburner Pro and Toast.
-Is your room accurate
-are your monitors accurate
Old 5th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by doug_hti

-I use ITunes, yes the free app with Apple. I don't have to burn with all the PQ codes and stuff. Never heard of your program. Other program options are Waveburner Pro and Toast.
I think CD Architect is a PC based program; he may be running PT on a PC...
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

To be totally honest with ya, all I did was this:

I opened up Cd Architect and couldn't find my pt session within that program.

I then went back to pro tools and did a bounce to disk...whatever the default setting is.

I then went back to Cd Architect where the session showed up as a left and right audio file.

I clicked burn and got a crappy sounding cd.

I honestly don't know if doing the bounce to disk did the dithering or if Cd Architect did it automatically.

Keep in mind, I have gone from a Roland VS1880 to Pro Tools Hd and am at the bottom of my learning curve.

My monitoring enviornment is quite good actually. I have the bass traps, drywall-air gap-soundboard etc and acoustic treatment on ceiling above speakers and on the walls to the side. The outer walls are paneling (quite reflective) with some basic Auralex in key spots to keep it fairly dead. It's not perfect, but what I'm hearing is surely a problem with the dithering process and not my room treatment.

My only plug ins are the digirack ones and the Waves Gold bundle which I just got. I don't know yet if that has the Powr dither as you mentioned.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

okay, I guess nearly regardless of program, it should sound okay...
But, you really need to read your manual to bounce properly then create new pro tools session, so look at the previous post and try it again...or better yet, if you know anybody that can teach you it will save you a bunch of time

You should be fine with the gold package. You may want to invest in the L2...but in the mean time....MAKE sure you you really check what's going on with sample rate, bit rate, and dithering. Most likely, when you bounced, it probably truncated the bits from 24 to 16, which means it chopped off part of the information instead of adding noise and rounding, or however it works.

So on your master fader if you use EQ, you probably might want to try with the RenEQ as a starting point at the higher sample rate. If you plan on using buss compression, you can put that on as well. Just make sure before you bounce that your master levels are close to 0 without any overs (peaking red) during the entire song. Then bounce to 24 bit 44.1khz, use TWEAKHEAD conversion.

Create new session...
put on the L1 limiter. Make sure it's not working to hard. Set the threshold to where it starts kicking in here and there buy a db or two, and set the ceiling to -.3 or so set dither to "none". You can set the noise shaping to whatever you like. Below the L1 on the master fader put on the POWR dither plugin, that you do have that came with pro tools. This is always your last plugin with dithering to a 16 bit session. Use the type (1-3) that sounds the best, but it will be fairly subtle. If you need to change the EQ again, put on another EQ plug above (before) the L1.

Then bounce to disk. Then make sure that file makes it into the cd burning program. Make sure the cd burning program isn't reconverting it to anything.

It takes time and there is a lot to learn. Just keep working at it. Go through threads and all that, there is a lot of stuff floating around.
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks Doug!! It's so nice to be able to ask a stupid question and get good feedback without getting ripped on. I'll give it a shot.
thx again,
Steve
Old 5th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Hey, I just thought of something else - when I open the Bounce To Disk window (on a Mac, by the way), the default is two mono tracks at 24 bit. The setting gets saved with each session, not as an overall Pro Tools preference. You might want to try it again, and make sude that the settings say that it's a stereo file (I dunno the options on a PC, but it may be 'stereo wav' or something like that) at 16 bit and 44.1kHz.

See if that helps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search