The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which 1073 clone breaks-up/distorts like the originals? 500 Series Preamps
Old 2nd September 2008
  #61
WhitePapaGold,

Please see my first response to Bowie which included this quote:

"The only complaint (about the MA5) is that you don't get EQ, but as stated, to me... I'm generally a control freak in mixing, and I'd rather control things in the mix later, anyway. As for the tone, of course, you pick the right mics and pre's always first. =)"

After all, he's not after the Neve to be used as a normal channel: he's really only after the "breakup" sound of the channel. If he feels that the EQ is the main part of the breakup he's after, then yeah, an MA5 wouldn't work for him. And while an MA5 with an E27 would be nice, the EQ would take you slightly away from the 1073 in terms of the EQ.

Personally, I don't think the EQ is necessary to get the Neve sound/breakup at all, which is what he wants. Thus, I feel the MA5 will deliver just that for a much more cost-effective price.

And my name isn't Jesus, and I'm sorry that your head hurts.

Peace.
Old 2nd September 2008
  #62
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post

when i dropped the TF1s in my 3114s that aspect didnt change at all. sonically it just opened up the back end.. so it was still there only moreso, if you know what i mean. i was actually worried about the sound changing with the upgrade, but it was not an issue.


heh
And he is no longer making TF1's.
Old 2nd September 2008
  #63
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrlk View Post
After all, he's not after the Neve to be used as a normal channel: he's really only after the "breakup" sound of the channel. If he feels that the EQ is the main part of the breakup he's after, then yeah, an MA5 wouldn't work for him. And while an MA5 with an E27 would be nice, the EQ would take you slightly away from the 1073 in terms of the EQ.
You are correct... the E27 EQ is different from the 1073. It's much more flexible and sounds better, too. heh

In regards to finding a 1073 style preamp that "breaks up" the same as the originals... well, take an MA5 or BAE 1272 and use it everyday for 30 years, and it will then break up the same as an original.

If we take take old components out of the equation, then an MA5 or current model BAE 1272 would be my choices.
Old 3rd September 2008
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Jackie Moon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
You are correct... the E27 EQ is different from the 1073. It's much more flexible and sounds better, too. heh

In regards to finding a 1073 style preamp that "breaks up" the same as the originals... well, take an MA5 or BAE 1272 and use it everyday for 30 years, and it will then break up the same as an original.

If we take take old components out of the equation, then an MA5 or current model BAE 1272 would be my choices.
Man do you love those Ma5 or what ?!!! (so will I fedex comes by tomorrrow )
Old 3rd September 2008
  #65
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjoubaud View Post
Man do you love those Ma5 or what ?!!! (so will I fedex comes by tomorrrow )
Old 5th September 2008
  #66
Gear Maniac
 

omigod.... fetishists unite

drives me nuts .... a 1073 is a fine module ..but the preamp and basic design in all the " class a"neve modules is THE SAME....
I refer to a 1063 // 1064//1065///1066//1070///1073///1076//1079///1084///1085//1089....... and the best of them are obviously the 1084 or 1085, simply cause they have the most eq points....
if you guys think there is a difference other than a couple of eq points, or the size of the box , you simply are incorrect ....... the fact is that 1073s are probably the most common of these , and have somehow become this huge FETISH item .....but if you put a mic in front of a kick drum and cannot get "the neve sound" with any one of them , something is seriously screwy in Denmark ....And i dont want to get into a pissing match about "clones" or the audible difference with an old transformer vs a new transformer that is the same , but the term " clone" means its the same ...and in this case , it refers to nearly exact copies of a circuit, which Ought to yield identical sounding results....
Old 5th September 2008
  #67
Gear Addict
 

don't go nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan alexander View Post
drives me nuts .... a 1073 is a fine module ..but the preamp and basic design in all the " class a"neve modules is THE SAME....
I refer to a 1063 // 1064//1065///1066//1070///1073///1076//1079///1084///1085//1089....... and the best of them are obviously the 1084 or 1085, simply cause they have the most eq points....
hello,

yeah. and i agree and still say try to get the 1084 if you can. seems to me the e.q. is significantly better. what's a 1085?

ha. don't let it drive you nuts, man.

userofgear
Old 28th September 2008
  #68
Vintech X73 will do it... super chunky at high gain.. and i would say it will undoubtedly give you the effect you're after. plus you get a great EQ as well, even if you dont want to use it as a pre.
Old 28th September 2008
  #69
Lives for gear
 
AllBread's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
I have indeed heard the Germanium recorded on several sources, by several people. It was good enough to purchase as an extra preamp. However, I have not heard it used on the extreme side.
So, did you get this thing to break up in a pleasing way? Are you liking it?
Old 28th September 2008
  #70
I think that that type distortion you refer can be be possible to achieve with any good neve 1073 clone!! who knows maybe if you compare it to a real neve you would prefer some distortion of the clones.

For distortion I rather get the Thermionic Culture "the Culture Vulture"THERMIONIC CULTURE ALL VALVE DESIGN PROFESSIONAL AUDIO EQUIPMENT
Old 29th September 2008
  #71
Lives for gear
 
BOWIE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
So, did you get this thing to break up in a pleasing way? Are you liking it?
Yea, I got the Germanium (thx to GC's 12 months no interest!) and I like it, though not for distortion. The breakup sounds just like Germanium stompbox and is unuseable for vox or drums.
The Germ makes a wicked Bass DI and works VERY well in bringing out the crispy overtones in my voice.
It's not nearly as good as a 610 on electric guitars. The fat button is worthless and if you finding yourself using it, your source probably has some serious issues. I don't care for the feedback knob at all and I can never seem to get it far enough to the left!
However, it's the best I've used on my voice and my Warwick Thumb bass so I will cherish it based on that.

I would like to try an MA5 or X73. I'll report back to this thread when that happens (though it could be a while...)
Old 29th September 2008
  #72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
In regards to finding a 1073 style preamp that "breaks up" the same as the originals... well, take an MA5 or BAE 1272 and use it everyday for 30 years, and it will then break up the same as an original.

.
Funny ..but truth!
Old 29th September 2008
  #73
Lives for gear
 
IntenseJim's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
my Warwick Thumb bass
tutt





(just ribbin' ya')
Old 29th September 2008
  #74
Gear Addict
 

you can break all of them up pretty good

hello,

well, after reading all about this, i decided to figure this whole thing out so we can all be sure.

i have been smacking the crap out of a bunch of these with a hammer for a couple of hours now. they are all broken up now, no doubt about it.

i think the neve is in smaller pieces, so maybe it has the finest breakup. but maybe if it wail on one of the other ones for a while longer i can get it to do the same thing.

some other people should try this and post their findings too. that way it will be a more accurate appraisal.

always wear goggles when testing your preamps for breakup potential.


userofgear
Old 29th September 2008
  #75
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by userofgear View Post
hello,

well, after reading all about this, i decided to figure this whole thing out so we can all be sure.

i have been smacking the crap out of a bunch of these with a hammer for a couple of hours now. they are all broken up now, no doubt about it.

i think the neve is in smaller pieces, so maybe it has the finest breakup. but maybe if it wail on one of the other ones for a while longer i can get it to do the same thing.

some other people should try this and post their findings too. that way it will be a more accurate appraisal.

always wear goggles when testing your preamps for breakup potential.


userofgear
FYI You're not allowed to be sarcastic on GS unless you have at least 1,000 posts.
Old 29th September 2008
  #76
Gear Addict
 

good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
FYI You're not allowed to be sarcastic on GS unless you have at least 1,000 posts.

hello,

permission requested to make an exception in this case
[preamps already "broken up", was unaware of 1000 post rule].

userofgear
Old 29th September 2008
  #77
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 

Exception granted, shine on you crazy user of gear.heh
Old 29th September 2008
  #78
Gear Addict
 

also

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
Exception granted, shine on you crazy user of gear.heh

hello,

also, would complete spam count toward the 1000 posts? i'm talking about total utter, unadulterated, meaningless spam [but not mean or anything].

userofgear
Old 29th September 2008
  #79
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by userofgear View Post
hello,

also, would complete spam count toward the 1000 posts? i'm talking about total utter, unadulterated, meaningless spam [but not mean or anything].

userofgear
Nope, spam doesn't count.
Old 29th September 2008
  #80
Gear Addict
 

o.k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
Nope, spam doesn't count.

hello,

o.k. but then i think a lot of other posters have been breaking the rule, too.

userofgear
Old 29th September 2008
  #81
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by userofgear View Post
hello,

o.k. but then i think a lot of other posters have been breaking the rule, too.

userofgear
Stand down user of gear. Stand Down!

Old 29th September 2008
  #82
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 

BOWIE

If you get a chance, check one of these out. They are the best for the money imho.

Old 29th September 2008
  #83
Gear Addict
 

my extreme authenticity - by userofgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
Stand down user of gear. Stand Down!

hello,

respectfully, my extreme, authentic neve-ness will not allow it.

userofgear
Old 29th September 2008
  #84
Lives for gear
 
Sofa King's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
you can get this from a neve 3114... and you can drop in a phoenix audio TF1 to make the class A/B output stage class A
nope,
hes not doing the class A mod any longer.
Old 29th September 2008
  #85
Lives for gear
 
BOWIE's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseJim View Post
tutt

(just ribbin' ya')
heh Ok, entertain me Jim, what basses do you like? I played everything under the sun in my search for the "most growly bass on the planet". It came down to a Custom Shop Jazz, Rickenbacker, or a Neck-through Warwick thumb. They are all outstanding but the Rick lacks smoothness at times and the Fender is often too smooth for me. The Warwick was able to do both. I ditched the pickups and preamp for Aguilar and Fender Custom Shop. I'm really happy with it though I might change the preamp to something with more midrange control. That would be my olny complaint, a slight lack of presence.
Any thoughts?
Old 29th September 2008
  #86
Gear Addict
 

musicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
heh Ok, entertain me Jim, what basses do you like? I played everything under the sun in my search for the "most growly bass on the planet". It came down to a Custom Shop Jazz, Rickenbacker, or a Neck-through Warwick thumb. They are all outstanding but the Rick lacks smoothness at times and the Fender is often too smooth for me. The Warwick was able to do both. I ditched the pickups and preamp for Aguilar and Fender Custom Shop. I'm really happy with it though I might change the preamp to something with more midrange control. That would be my olny complaint, a slight lack of presence.
Any thoughts?

hello,

i'm not jim, but i thought you might give a try a musicman stingray [i know obvious, but in case you haven't tried that]. if you can find an old one it might suit you more. i was able to get them to refit an old style pickup into a newer model bass once. they'll do it, but they will try to charge you for the "new" old pickup, while also keeping the one that was in the bass.

userofgear
Old 29th September 2008
  #87
Lives for gear
 
IntenseJim's Avatar
 

I hate to derail this thread but as you asked....

I had a Warwick thumb. It's got a distinct tone and if that works for you, great.
I mean it; no sarcasm. There's enough ill-toned commentary on GS. Also, with the
Aggie preamp it should indeed be more tonally varied. thumbsup

I have four Sadowsky basses: jazz, jazz with soapbars, PJ, and a Modern 24.
All are four string. I love everything about them.


Old 29th September 2008
  #88
Lives for gear
 
BOWIE's Avatar
Jim, the one that looks like a leaf, what kind of wood is that?!? That's the most gorgeous slab I've ever seen on a guitar. Stunning!


UserofGear, you're right about the Stingray, but I have just not been able to get used to the feel of them. Plus, I think they sound best amped and dimed whereas I run mostly DI w/ a low vol amp to add some mids.
Old 29th September 2008
  #89
Lives for gear
 
IntenseJim's Avatar
 

I can't sleep

Spalted maple


Old 29th September 2008
  #90
Gear Addict
 

sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
Jim, the one that looks like a leaf, what kind of wood is that?!? That's the most gorgeous slab I've ever seen on a guitar. Stunning!


UserofGear, you're right about the Stingray, but I have just not been able to get used to the feel of them. Plus, I think they sound best amped and dimed whereas I run mostly DI w/ a low vol amp to add some mids.

hello,

what is it that you don't like about the feel? i understand that can be a deal breaker.

also, i don't know how far you are willing to go, but i think it is possible to drop one of those pickups in a different bass, but i don't know if you could get a pickup without actually buying a bass. maybe someone makes a direct replacement?

yeah, they kick ass through an SVT. but maybe a walter woods miniamp or something would be good where you can't be that loud. also, for quiet work, an old SWR SM400 [they have some gainstaging and that aural exciter feature], and an Avalon U5 can be useful. just some ideas.

userofgear
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Rockin Daddy / High end
118
DivineMusic / So much gear, so little time
55
lukas / So much gear, so little time
10
ray dsr / So much gear, so little time
13

Forum Jump
Forum Jump